DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

For the 8" bass in kickpanels the volume of the sealed enclosure appeared to be smaller than I was hoping for to get, so... I am curious if this would work;

I have large 7" x 5" sill panels (6 foot long) that I could open up right behind the kick enclosure, so then I could vent the 8" woofers into this large sill panel enclosure....
I searched on diyma but couldnt find anything about it.

I know some do vent/port it to outside the vehicle, but in the sill would be much easier for me (and probably less loud outside)

- Is this doable? Or is it stupid to do so?, and why?

- Will it sound loud outside? Of course sealed would sound less loud outside, which I prefer! But I can only fit about a 6 liters = 0.22 ft3 enclosure max I think.

I saw many installs with rather large drivers in pretty small kickpanel enclosures. Are they all boosted with a Dsp? Or all vented outside?

With mid drivers it is done into the A pillar, but with 8" Bass??

To block extra inside noise through the sill panel I want to add extra leadsheet inside, added with deadener.

I would need a higher Qts 8" driver, (that can be used free air) but it should go lower than with sealed...

Is this a good or bad idea? Does someone have more info on this?
Maybe its called different and I might search wrong...

I am curious!...thanks in advance!
Don C.

·
Registered
2011 Prius rsx gs9>apl1 >helix dsp ultra>2 brax mx4’s &jl Audio 600/1> full focal Utopia m
573 Posts
What speaker are you using? When I had dynaudio mw170’s I tried them seals in the kick but when I cut the sill and vent them in there, they were like different animals

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What speaker are you using? When I had dynaudio mw170’s I tried them seals in the kick but when I cut the sill and vent them in there, they were like different animals
Ah thanks man! Good to hear....

I calculated different drivers for sealed enclosure but I couldnt get my enclosure that big...

Most needed at leest 20 liters to get around 65 hz approximately.
So I didnt bought them yet... but into the sill would be the answer for me.

I have some new Eton 8/800 37 hex drivers laying around from an old project... But they are 8ohm drivers and have a Qts of 0.43

I was looking at Audio Development w800neo, Dynaudio MW172, Dayton RS225P4A. But I could use Scan speak, Peerless, Sb Acoustics...

The Daytons are nice and very affordable...

In the sill would need a Qts of around 0.5 or a bit higher. Although I know ppl have been using drivers in Open Baffle speakers with a Qts of around 0.35 with good results...

So the Eton would work to I guess...
Right?

You have a nice system in your sig..👌

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had a pair of RS225-8 each in about .23 cu ft which was way to small, they want .8 or so. Anyway the fb3 was around 100hz but I ran them all the way down to 30-60hz and they it was the best midbass set up i've had. Never took any measurments, was tuned by a MS-8.

Beat the piss out of a both SI TM65v1 and v2 and a pair per door of ND140's I ran at one time, all IB in doors.

Patrick Bateman has a thread about using midbass in way under sized enclosures. Another thing you might want to consider is a ported 6.5 but it may be hard to route the vent.

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
Yes you can do it. It's quite common.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I looked into the Peerless Sls8. They needed 6.3 cu ft sealed. But would do a nice 45 hz. Qts is 0.66. They would be great indeed for the open sill I guess. Depth is pretty big indeed but doable in the space I have and a bit more then the Eton's.

The RS225P indeed is less deep I see... You had the ones without P, so the aluminium version. I am looking at both, but always like paper cones... although I have some 5" aluminium drivers that sound really good...

I also have some Eton 11-581 drivers from the Avalon Eidolon where they sound amazing. But are just a bit to large in the kicks.

What do think about the Eton 8-800/37 to start with (I already have em) and meanwhile look for some used Sls8 and RS225P4
I also expect much of the Daytons tbh... Mms is the lowest, but also is BL.
So BL/mms ratio is about the same for all 3 drivers.

My mids will be mounted on/in the dash on fiberglassed enclosures.
Satori 13cm (the MW or the MR) and would play from about 200hz.
So all 8" wouldnt have a problem with that....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes you can do it. It's quite common.
Great! I couldnt find posts about it here...(but perhaps was searching incorrect)
I saw many 6 and 8" in kickpanels in competition cars on youtube, and I couldnt imagine they would all use too small enclosures.......

But I will look into that article from Patrick Bateman, that Slovic mentioned 👍 thanks for the tip Slovic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Np. If you can swing a 200hz lowpass you may want to consider putting them under your seat. A lot of people happy with midbass under the seat at that crossover point. Could make for any easier install and maybe more real estate.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here I think this was it

·
Registered
75 Posts
My bad this is the one I was speaking of

·
Registered
294 Posts
Venting in the frame rails off the car can work very good for midbass, how much noise there is oudside depends on the car and how closed up they are, some cars have frame rails the are open on one end.

Get a driver in the kick's the does not has a to high QTS arround 0.5 is more then enough even lower is possible as the Q will go up in there anyway.

But does it need to be a hugh 8"? maybe a 6" will work better in there and the end result is better... The trick is to find the right driver for the right setup

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
what kinda vehicle are you asking about?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Venting in the frame rails off the car can work very good for midbass, how much noise there is oudside depends on the car and how closed up they are, some cars have frame rails the are open on one end.

Get a driver in the kick's the does not has a to high QTS arround 0.5 is more then enough even lower is possible as the Q will go up in there anyway.

But does it need to be a hugh 8"? maybe a 6" will work better in there and the end result is better... The trick is to find the right driver for the right setup
Yes indeed. Thats what I was thinking too. It needs to match with the mids.

So a bit more about my planned setup; 3 way active with sub.

-Tweeters: Amt or Ribbon; 4khz >
-Mids: Satori 13MW or MR on dash in 2L pods around 200hz
-Bass: 8" (Eton,;Peerless or Dayton as mentioned) from around 50 / 60hz to the mids

-Sub: IB 15" Dayton Ultimax untill 50 or 60hz

The goal is SQ, as I am also a huge home-audiophile, (off and on with caraudio, so my knowledge about caraudio is less).
And my thoughts are like this, to get most lows as high and up front as possible I would need bigger drivers in front and up high (so I went from 3" on dash to 5" on dash (although 3" would look better).

However I may be wrong with my crossover points. As someone mentioned phase isues could occur when you cross too low... it may be better to cross the bass a bit higher at 80 / 100hz. And the mids at 200.
I initially thought I could cross the 5"mid at around 100hz and the bass at 50hz.
But Dumdum has a pair of these mids and noticed some phase issues when crossed too low... which we dont want of course.
But it may also be vehicle dependend.

I will build fiberglass pods for the 5"
So I thought 8" would mate better with the 5" imo. Right?

And a 6" bass with a 3" mid.

I do have 6" Vifa M18WN-19-04 caraudio kickbasses laying from an old install.
Qts 0.66 but fs 65hz... they did go pretty deep in my doors. And with phase issues indeed....!

But I think 8's would be nicer, right?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what kinda vehicle are you asking about?
Its a Jaguar XJ from the seventies.
It has large sills and they are closed (not open frames) as Tonny asked.

Also under the front seats it has pretty large sills, that I could use if they fire from the front of the seat to the window.

Cutting the sills (and dash) isnt a huge problem bc I have that car for 2 decades already (bought it when I was young) and will own it a lot longer. And it would be easy to put everything back with a used dash and so...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts