DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you please discuss your install? I am looking for insight on how/why speakers were aimed in these positions ....

Pictures would be great ...

Thinking about doing the Fountek FR88/Dynaudio MD102 combo in the A-pillar ...

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
define success?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
define success?
Liek omg it sounds amazing! :rolleyes:

I have my tweets in my car in the pillars playing 5k and up...pretty consistently across many a compact dome used in the same location. For those that have sat in my car, only a few astute listeners have pointed to where nearly all the sound comes from - below and behind. The rest think it's bizarre that my windshield sounds like a speaker.

Point is you can trick you ears to believe in just about anything as long as you're willing to really really listen. Location is important, obviously...but at the same time it's really not. The Europeans seem to love that MR up high in plain sight and some pretty successful dudes around here love to bury theirs completely out of sight. Who here can tell you where or why???

·
Registered
172 Posts
I put a 4" mid in my dash and a tweeter in the sail panels and I can't imagine not having my drivers that high ever again. My soundstage is at eye level and as far in front of me as I've ever heard it in any car I've had. I'm getting some of the Fountek's myself with the ceramic tang band tweeter and will be doing some custom dash pods. My reasoning is if you can control the reflections, or use them to your advantage, it's the easiest way to get a great soundstage. Not to mention having the mids/tweeter in a point source configuration helps out with phasing issues and you won't have any sort of "hole" where the speakers cross over with one another as you might if they're separated.

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
Can you please discuss your install? I am looking for insight on how/why speakers were aimed in these positions ....

Pictures would be great ...

Thinking about doing the Fountek FR88/Dynaudio MD102 combo in the A-pillar ...
Just figure out how much room you can spare, and then let the dimensions of your speakers dictate your crossover point. A five inch woofer can handle more power, but requires a beefy tweeter to play low enough. A typical 5" woofer would be crossed over between 1700-3400hz, while a 3" woofer could be crossed over as high as 3-6khz.

Since you're listening off-axis, the crossover points are a lot higher than if you're listening ON axis.

I'd love to see someone try something with a waveguide, to minimize reflections off the windshield.

B&C DE35 looks interesting:

Parts-Express.com:B&C DE35 Neodymium Mylar Bullet Tweeter | B&C DE35 Neodymium Bullet Tweeter non-metallic diaphragm hf driver super tweeter newbnc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts