DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you do with your vin numbers. My plan has always been to finish my current build, learn to tune, and then build a full out dash rebuild with large format midranges and tweeters in the dash, very similar to Todd's GTi. However, to do this, I would have to relocate the vin number, since its in the way. And as my neighbor pointed out, who is a CHP, some law enforcement agents would impound the car if the vin doesnt seem like its where it belongs, and from there it could be crushed.

So did your build require messing with the vins, and if so did you just do it and not worry? I'm betting that most here wouldnt actually go through the legal process of finding a loophole, but then again maybe I'm wrong. I just keep thinking it cant be that cut and dry that relocating it is flat out illegal always, since the vin on my vehical is attached riveted to a removable and replaceable part of the car. In fact, its attached to the dash plastic which is sitting in my garage instead of the car right now, since I'm deadening under it.

This might seem like a dumb question, but I figured more people in this part of the forum would have dash rebuilds then on all other parts of the forum.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
There are other sources for VIN on the car, not just the dash. engine compartment has a VIN, VIN is usually located in door jam as well.

Bigger questions would be, if you have State vehicle inspection if the modifications to the dash would allow you to pass inspection?

my BMW is old enough that its qualifies to be registered as an "classic car" which does not require inspection.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Careful with the vin tag on the dash/ firewall.
Check your local laws first but, if you look, the vin tag is riveted with a different style of rivet than usual.
If vin tampering is suspected, they look at the rivets.
Wrong rivets, you're in for a lot of fun with the PD and DMV/secretary of state.
If replacing the dash, you have to have the local authorities reattach the tag.
Do some research on your state laws and procedures.
Simply tell them you're replacing the dash and ask for the proper procedure.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hopefully this adds to the thread and doesn't derail it:

For full custom dashes, what are the implications for disconnecting an existing air bag?

I'd like to remove the passenger side air bag, and am more concerned about insurance implications then government regulations.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The VIN tag has to be visible through the glass....I'm pretty sure that's 50 state specific.
You may be able to fab your dash then attach the tag in or near it's original location but it has to be there.

I'm going rounds with my local tax office right now about how to title my truck....I'm removing the crew cab, shortening the frame and installing a single cab. I'm using my old dash so the VIN tag will be in the right spot...it'll just be full of wrong information. One person says nothing has to change...another says everything has to change and I have to retitle the truck, get new plates, registration, etc.

I hope your journey is easier than mine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As the owner of the vehicle, you can do what ever you want with the airbag.
It is law a vehicle has to be manufactured with an airbag, the end user can do what they want.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^that depends where you are. In california, you can not remove or disable the airbags, I know many other states have similar laws.

For my build, the airbags need not change, its just the vin thats in the way. I may have found a workaround tonight, but wont know until tomorrow. It involves cutting the rest of the dash plastic away and leaving just the tiny part with the vin number attached. Tacky, but it would be covered except for a slit to see the number. Every other modification to the dash would be perfectly legal.

Thats pretty much why I asked. I've been reading through code on the matter, but almost all of it says that its illegal if its removed for the purpose of fraud or theft. It does say that you can take it off and put it back on with written permission from the "department", but it doesnt say anything about what department that is. If it was just a fix-it ticket, I would say screw it, but its a matter of them being able to impound and crush the car and everything in it if they think I did it to defraud the state or someone.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the airbag responses. I'll check the laws in Colorado. I'm tentative to discuss with the insurance company.

As for VIN tag, I was going to just place it in the original location. I have a VW new Beetle and the VIN tag is printed on plastic. There is no "tag" or rivets, it is a part of the plastic dash panel. At least I can't be blamed for not having original rivets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts