DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, should start off by saying New member, but a long time reader, and have learned ALOT of useful information on the site.

Right now I have 2 15'' Dual 4ohm Type R's powered by a MRP-M2000 in a (yes, i know..horrible) prefab box most likely tuned to around 3khz :p
I've heard Type R's sound pretty good at about a 32-36hz tuning, but I just dont have the time or know-how to build one at this point, and I haven't been able to find anyone that would be able to build me one (No problem covering shipping, btw. :D )

Setup is going in a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport and I have aspirations to hit 153-155dBs. So my question is.....Should I grab another mrp-m2000 and give each around 1k-1250 of clean power? I've been thinking about ditching the Dual 4s and picking up 4 12'' Dual 2ohm Type R's and running 2 m2000s, and giving them about 750 watts each, or even the possibility of 4 15'' dual 2s and giving them 1000 watts each without losing the backseat, of course!

-Budget is around 1500-2000 depending.
-As far as electrical goes, I have the Big 3 done in 0ga and a 270A Mechman (absolute beast of an alternator, btw!) and plan on getting a yellow top for under the hood, so i think i should be ok for ~4kw

Yes, if you couldn't tell I'm an undercover Alpine fanboy, but I'm very open to Fi, DDs, or DCs, etc.

Thanks for taking the time, and I appreciate any input folks! :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, undercover fanboy or not, I'd suggest keeping the 15s before trying anything else.

Give them all the power from the M2000... if you're planning on switching them anyways ;) I'm sure they'll take a beating as long as you don't clip them, obv.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem is I think one of them may be on their way out. Went 2 years on my Kenwood HU, during which i think it may have been clipping slightly, I'm getting a scratching sound as if one of my coils is rubbing or something. So I might go the cost effective route and swap them out for D2's and an *actual* box for them. 150 isn't asking too much on ~2kw, eh? for the time being at least.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I can help you design a sub box that meets your needs. See the link in my signature.

With regard to output, I'm fairly certain you can give the Type R a good amount of power, but I'm not sure how much past their rated power you can push them. That's all on you. They're pretty good subs, but 1000W thermal is a lot of heat, and you only really gain 1-2db bumping their output from 750W to 1000W. Keep in mind it takes 2x the power to gain 3db, and every 10db in output is perceived as a 2x increase in loudness. Raising power by 250W would probably get you just over 1db in output. Not exactly worth the risk. Instead, make sure what power you are giving them is clean power.

That being said, the 4 12" subs would have a bit more cone area, and would as a result produce more output, so if you just want to get loud, that would be the way to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I have to say, my mind's been everywhere with this, and I think I may change up a bit more than I thought.
I might take the hit in a little sq and try out some AQ's. I'm looking at picking up a newer 3500.1d and have been debating the copper vs aluminum coils. Have been reading and seems the copper is more efficient and the alum takes more power. So assuming I'm getting around 3.5k-4k at 1ohm, I think either should be fine if I don't go overboard on the gain, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. The Subs in question are 2 HDC3 15s, btw.
Also up in the air about the enclosure. I'm leaning towards around 9 cubes tuned from 35-38hz, but again, soooo undecisive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts