DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm wondering if it's possible to get rid of the sony amp in my F150. I've seen conflicting information about this basically everywhere on the web so it'd be nice to hear from someone who's done it.

I'm currently using a PAC amp pro to get optical to my minidsp. I'm probably going to be putting in a behind seat subwoofer so space will be at a premium.

· Registered
2018 Taurus SHO
92 Posts
Maybe just try it out. The Sony DSP in my Ford Taurus had 3 plugs for harness and then after that it is detached. maybe yours is just as easy to test

I still have mine hooked up just for rear backup beeps - it comes out of rear speakers only. So I can speak for sure. I didn’t need the dummy load resistors. I also will still fade to the rear on certain occasions when people are in backseat

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe just try it out. The Sony DSP in my Ford Taurus had 3 plugs for harness and then after that it is detached. maybe yours is just as easy to test

I still have mine hooked up just for rear backup beeps - it comes out of rear speakers only. So I can speak for sure. I didn’t need the dummy load resistors. I also will still fade to the rear on certain occasions when people are in backseat
When i unplug the module the head unit powers but i get no audio

· Registered
14 Posts
There is a lot of info regarding this online. Check the F150 forum e.g. here: F150 Sony delete
You should also google how to change Sync to a variable Line level output (g2fusion forum I believe or the Forscan page).
There also is the option to use a Maestro AR or DSR1 module with a specific amp (see Maestro homepage). Depending on ypur expectations this might be enough but it limits your options (amps, tuning etc).

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a lot of info regarding this online. Check the F150 forum e.g. here: F150 Sony delete
You should also google how to change Sync to a variable Line level output (g2fusion forum I believe or the Forscan page).
There also is the option to use a Maestro AR or DSR1 module with a specific amp (see Maestro homepage). Depending on ypur expectations this might be enough but it limits your options (amps, tuning etc).
Thanks! I've been trying to find something like that but most of my search attempts have been just people doing weird boasts "I did a full sony delete it's not hard l8er"
Maybe I need to join that forum to see if they could give me more guidance.

· Registered
2018 Taurus SHO
92 Posts
So when you pulled the Sony DSP plugs you didn’t get any sound out to your minidsp?

· Registered
2018 Taurus SHO
92 Posts
Correct. I'll pull the harnesses again to give more exact symptoms
Well it seems like it is dependent on it then. There might be a work around as you mentioned but it isn’t outlined or straight forward like just unplugging it.

· Registered
104 Posts
Don't. The CANbus nannys will give you all kinds of grief. Phone, parking warnings, nav, chimes all expect it to be there. Look at the PAC harness...it basically dead-ends the OEM amp output, but doesn't remove it.

I have a '15 w/Sony, which does nothing but keep CANbus happy at this point.

As far as room behind the seat...there's tons. No need to remove it for that. I have a sub box and amp rack back there, with Sony on the back and three other amps on the face.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't. The CANbus nannys will give you all kinds of grief. Phone, parking warnings, nav, chimes all expect it to be there. Look at the PAC harness...it basically dead-ends the OEM amp output, but doesn't remove it.

I have a '15 w/Sony, which does nothing but keep CANbus happy at this point.

As far as room behind the seat...there's tons. No need to remove it for that. I have a sub box and amp rack back there, with Sony on the back and three other amps on the face.
Yes i have the PAC. It works good besides for the gain ramp being funky. I know theres a way to get it to work using forscan but nothing on other forums is detailed enough for me to attempt altering the hex codes or detailed enough description of what the final signal path is.

I'm thinking about putting a sub in that takes a lot of the behind seat space and have 2 amps as well as a minidsp 8x12 so the module is definitely taking up space i might need. I guess i figure there might be someone on here that's successfully removed it.

· Registered
2018 Taurus SHO
92 Posts
Idk if you have watched 5 star car audio before on YouTube but they do live Q/A sometimes. You could try asking those guys as they do a lot of F150 and are familiar with PAC products

1 - 11 of 11 Posts