DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold/installed high-end car audio from '96-'01. I was out of the loop for years but resurfaced in 2015 after purchasing a 2009 Ford Flex. Here is the system we ended up installing (with incredibly helpful advice from DIYMA/fordflex.net member Lanson):

• Factory HU (Non-Sync/Sony/NAV)
  • JBL MS-8
  • Morel Tempo 6 components (front)
  • Aura 5700 RPM coax (rear doors)
  • JL Audio 10W1v3
  • MTX Thunder 4300X (approx. 2 x 75ish watts front mids and 1 x 250ish watts sub)
  • MTX Thunder 2100X (approx. 2 x 75ish watts front tweeters)
  • Two of the MS-8s 8 channels are powering the rear doors (approx. 2 x 20ish watts)
  • Morel tweeter - 20k-2800Hz @ 24dB > Morel mid - 2800Hz-80Hz @ 24 dB > JL Audio 10W1v3-4 - 80Hz-20Hz @ 18dB (tweeters are also protected by two Jantzen Audio 33uF 400V Crosscaps)
A few years ago I lost one of the tweeters and replaced both with a new, similar pair of Morel MDT 12s (jumped to 8 ohms but they've worked fine). Recently, I started to lose one of the Morel mids. The Aura speakers were a cheap pickup for fill but they've pretty much always been pretty bad.

I was recently looking to sell the car but we've decided to wait a year. I need new speakers but don't want to break the bank, as I don't know if they'll come out or stay with the car when it's sold in a year.

Running active, I'm open to raw drivers but I'm not really seeing any speakers in the Parts Express or Madisound inventories that are screaming out to me. I've been researching CT Sounds, NVX and Skar (yes, I am aware of the owner's questionable past). Any ideas as to how I can get decent/good sound for this last year sticking with a $200ish budget? I'm also interested if anyone has the real-world depth constraints for the front and back doors. The Scosche info sheet isn't accurate. I'd like to not have to pull the doors apart to measure, if possible. I'll be sticking with the electronics, as they have served me well all these years. If this was a long-term car, I'd be looking at modern Morel, Focal, Hertz, JL Audio, etc.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I could do just mids and rears but I'm open to a set of front comps if I don't use raw drivers. The current tweeters sound fine but being 8 ohm models, they are being underpowered. I know I could make an improvement.

I'm currently eyeing:

• CT Sounds Meso 6.5" comps & Bio 5x7" coax

• NVX V-Series 6.5" comps & 6x8" coax

• Skar Audio TX Series 6.5" comps & 6x8" coax

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
The tweeters being 8 ohms isn't a problem at all. Even with 10 watts a tweeter will be very loud. They are decent tweeters, I'd keep them.

Are you dead set on using rear speakers? The MS-8 has Logic 7, but that doesn't mean you need to use it. If so, you don't need a particularly good speaker in the rear. You shouldn't really be able to hear the rear speakers anyway.

You can probably get a set of Audio Frog GS60's, or even GS690's if you find a bit of a deal, or stretch your budget a bit. Otherwise there are some good options from Dayton Audio, Scanspeak, Peerless, etc.

A $200 budget would be much better spent on just from mids, don't buy new tweeters, or rear speakers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback on the tweeters. I do like the sound of Morel tweeters.

I don't use the Logic 7 because I don't have a center channel. Over the years I've tweaked things a bit here and there and always prefer the wider soundstage when it's off. Historically, I use rears for fill and I did prefer the sound in my car when everything was working 100% and their was slight fill from the rear.

I'd even consider $250 total but I can't find the GS60s at that price. I don't have room for a 6x9 and am not interested in doing anything custom with my doors. I'll only have the car another year or so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to mention, I already purchased a pair of NVX 5x7s for about $50 for the rears a few days ago before digging deeper into this. I am open to returning them if necessary. I was holding out hope I could get a replacement front driver from Morel, as they used to sell them for $60. But they are now out of stock.

I know the rears don't have to be nice. I just am open to replacing them with something that potentially matches the fronts or is relatively good for the $.

Which drivers would you recommend from Dayton, Scanspeak or Peerless?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I know cars doors aren't the greatest environments but loosing so many speakers? Why are they going out on you? I'd make sure that is fixed before throwing more money out

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't answer that one. I've ran many, many car audio systems for close to 27 years now. I've only had a few failures over that time. This was the first time I've lost two different components from the same set. In this case I'm chalking it up to either being a bad lot or the fact the old Model Tempo comps were a bit more sensitive than the dozens of other speakers I've owned or temporarily installed/tested in my cars.

I mostly listen at lower volumes but am known to crank things up from the to time. That said, I typically am conservative with amp gains and recognize clipping/distortion and stay below those levels.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any more feedback from anyone?

Unfortunately I'm flying blind on many of the speaker options I mentioned because I can't audition them anywhere close to home. I'm also open to raw drivers but am not sure what to look for, as I've never gone that route in the past.

I understand quality will be limited by budget due to the fact it's a one year commitment. However, with one mid dying anything will be an improvement. I do value solid midbass if that helps. I'm open to helping to $250 for mids or comps plus basic, solid rear fill. I know I can snag a number of 6x8" options in the the $50 range.

I swung by a store close to my house today and listened to the Sundown 6.5" coax speakers that are one level up from what I previously listed. They didn't have any comps installed for demo. I didn't particularly care for the sound, it seemed dull and lifeless. The owner mentioned Sundown's customer service seeming to be centered around amps and subs but event that isn't as strong as it used to be.

They also carry DD Audio out of Oklahoma City. I was surprised I had never heard of them, considering they have been in business nearly 35 years and I've lived in the Midwest 25 of those years. I dug the few comps they had to demo, but didn't fall in love like I did back when I heard Morel and Focal for the first time. Different price ranges though. He showed me the VO-M6.5 raw mids and they are pretty beefy but I don't know what they sound like. I could get those for $140ish a pair.

Any thoughts on DD Audio or any other questions I've tossed out there? Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more option in the mix...

Massive Audio M6R

I can get a pair for $80ish. Anyone have any feedback on these?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone else have any input? I'd appreciate any feedback on any of the speaker models I mentioned it any I'm overlooking.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,102 Posts
I think you're headed in the wrong direction. I would save up a little longer, and get the Audiofrog GS60s that @gijoe suggested.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for replying. I looked into those speakers. I'm sure they're nice but I'm only going to have the car for one more year. At this point, I just want to get the system back to 100% for the time being. Hence, the desire to keep the budget under $250 for front mids (or comps) and rear coax. I just haven't been able to listen to any of the models I've listed (or similar options) and am looking for related feedback.

Good my next car, sure, the Audiofrogs or a number of higher end speakers would be great options.

·
Premium Member
9,102 Posts
If you're only keeping the car for a year, I understand the desire to keep it cheap. In that case, I would go with a pair of GR Research M165Xup front if they will fit. M165X Woofer

In the rear, I would just grab whichever set of JBLs or Infinitys fit your OE location and budget.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the heads up on the GR Research drivers. I was unfamiliar with that company. I researched a bit and looks like mostly positive feedback for the $. The only kicker is the depth may be 3" and I don't think I have that much room. I was trying to avoid taking the door apart to measure but that sounds like my safest option.

Do you know if people have trouble using paper cones in a car door? I know they're relatively well protected but I'm sure moisture ends up in there from time to time.

·
Premium Member
9,102 Posts
Do you know if people have trouble using paper cones in a car door? I know they're relatively well protected but I'm sure moisture ends up in there from time to time.
Some do, some don't. Where I live it is pretty dry and it wouldn't be a concern for me. If you live in a pretty wet climate and you know that moisture is prone to get into your doors, you may be better off with a driver that employs a different or coated cone material.

If this is the case for you, or if the M165X is too deep, take a look at the Scanspeak 18W/4434G-00. It is a little shallower and makes use of a fiberglass cone and rubber surround. The Wavecor car audio drivers might also be worth considering. They offer the WF166TU02, WF168WA05 and WF168WA01 that should meet your budget and depth requirements.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the ideas. I took apart my door today and confirmed I have 5" of depth to play with. I also found the damage to my speaker in the attached photo. I've been appreciating/selling/installing car and home audio for about 27 years now and have never seen damage like this. Any ideas as to what would have caused the cone to wrinkle, apparently outward?

·
Registered
376 Posts
That some kind of treated paper? I've never seen that happen to a cone that wasn't hit with something.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts