DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im always changing ****. so new build will consist of four pyle 6.5 mids and four vifa tweets. ran active from a AVH4200 with a crossfire three way crossover. exile 800.4 on the front stage RD1750.1 on the skar VVX 15's

its my first time doing glass. finally going to tackle it!
doig two 6.5 per door and two tweets per pillar! off we go!
started the pillars!!!!

old t shirt FTW

couple sections got kinda wrinkly its not fully set as i used hot glue. going to ca glue all the edges once im fully pleased. so far looking great to me...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

i had this plan to do three. i scratched it. gona have two mids as spares laying around the house. it was just to damn insane! couldn't get three in my door. hence the cutout on the top lol. mega fail! anyways, i had to cut circles on the door pannel as well to get it tucked up in there snug. i must say, its still comfy! my legs are still free e brake is beyond accessible!

[/QUOTE]

so i really did not like the way the cotton shirt got all bunched up. no matter how hard i tried! so, i raided the good old closet. found a womens shirt made of polyester. nice and stretchy :) absolutely not ONE wrinkle

before resin

after resin

i think i mixed up the hardner a little lean, i will find out lol

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,367 Posts
Are you worried about the steep angle towards the ground of the tweeters? Love the idea just wondering if you tested it out. Keep up the great work.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes interesting aiming on the tweets, but if it works it works. For some reason I thought fiberglass resin would not bond properly to most plastics, do you have to do anything special to keep the glass from delaminating in the future?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the aiming concern. Before I started to glass I hooked up the tweets mounted to the baffle. At first I had the bottom angled more towards to listener. They where pretty harsh. I have never been a fan of on axis. I tried many dif angles untill the last which is what you see. For my listening preferences its just perfect believe it or not. I have always read when doing pillars aiming directly at the listener was a good way to achieve great results. Didnt like that lol. Also I used ca glue all around the entire under cloth. With small holes drilled

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
ive never heard that lol but I like the build, but it's not as much of an SQ build as it is an SPL or just LOUD system it seems.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive never heard that lol but I like the build, but it's not as much of an SQ build as it is an SPL or just LOUD system it seems.
;) thanks for catching that! doing what i can within my budget lol

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
first layer of fiber

third layer and holes cut out. was really easy actually

test fit to make sure nothing warped and nothing did!

body filler..... oh yay!
just with 80 grit. going to smooth out and shape some more fill some minor holes as well. not in a huge rush which is good...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Wow!....I've never seen 2 tweeters a side in the A pillars before....It's your ears...:eek:

Good luck with your build

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,367 Posts
There is no "right or wrong" in car stereo, just thought I'd ask if you had tried it before you went ahead and built it. I run my speakers 90* off axis firing directly into the windshield of my car. May not be good for everyone but it works for me. Good luck and keep the pics rolling, looking good so far.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is no "right or wrong" in car stereo, just thought I'd ask if you had tried it before you went ahead and built it. I run my speakers 90* off axis firing directly into the windshield of my car. May not be good for everyone but it works for me. Good luck and keep the pics rolling, looking good so far.
Im a strong believer in this also. Anf yes I tested it out first. Would hate to just do all this work and it come our a fail haha! Ive heard a few setups that do the same as you with the tweeter aiming at the window. Sounded good. I wanted to do this in the first place in the planning stage but the tweeters I have just wouldnt fit that way without creating a massive blind spot

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got more done today. finished up the major sanding of the first filler coat. i laid it on to bumpy etc. learning as i go thou!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
getn some more work done. i have not touched the pillars yet from the last pics. i might re-do them due to the angle of the downfire. might try smaller pods i will test them out before i fully finish them up. BUT i started the door pods!!!!
did the good ole tape job. took some time with 1" tape haha

so i didnt snap a pic of the back panel before i cut it up

cut the breather holes:

baffle hot glued on

mids test fit

ont he door:

wrapped her all up:

view from the inside:

more to come later!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dang those kick panels are huge. how u gonna fit your legs in there!
HAHA! they look alot bigger than they are. i can still access the e-brake easily as well as the handle. the bottom stocks out a total of 3.25" with the door closed. i could have moved the bottom down a little more so the mid goes into and behind the panel BUT i thought that since the pannel is plastic and the pod will be bolted to it when the door shuts with all the weight it could possible wiggle and the back of the mid could hit. hence the mid not going into the hole. sorry for the long winded response haha! just looking out for anyone with a ranger who wants to do this! alot of ranger owners are stuck to the stock speaker mounting. with the way im doing this you can fit 6.5's or a 8" or three 5.25's ;). so ranger owners if you have any questions LMK!

Looking good! Keep up with the updates.
update: laying the last layer of the back on the passenger door

·
Registered
330 Posts
HAHA! they look alot bigger than they are. i can still access the e-brake easily as well as the handle. the bottom stocks out a total of 3.25" with the door closed. i could have moved the bottom down a little more so the mid goes into and behind the panel BUT i thought that since the pannel is plastic and the pod will be bolted to it when the door shuts with all the weight it could possible wiggle and the back of the mid could hit. hence the mid not going into the hole. sorry for the long winded response haha! just looking out for anyone with a ranger who wants to do this! alot of ranger owners are stuck to the stock speaker mounting. with the way im doing this you can fit 6.5's or a 8" or three 5.25's ;). so ranger owners if you have any questions LMK!

update: laying the last layer of the back on the passenger door
I could be wrong, but didn't you have 4-e8's in the back of this ranger at one time?

I'm a fellow ranger owner.
I've done one elaborate fiberglass/aluminum build on my '93 cobra and a quick build on my '00 ranger.
I wasn't happy with what ford gave me to work with either.
I'm glad to see that you tested to see what works for you.
It's odd to see no map pockets on your doors.
Will your window cranks still work?

The build looks good so far, keep it going.

I had to keep my door drivers protected from damage, so I went a different route.
I wound up going the widebander/midbass to the active side of audio and ease of tuning in my first DIY system.
I'm a steel fabricator by trade, so I did what was the easiest/fastest way for me and allot of testing as to placement.

Here's a couple of pics.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts