DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello DIYMA!

I recently picked up a 2003 Ford F-250 Supercab. This is the ext cab 4 door cab configuration. I am looking for a double din in dash touch screen, looking at possibly having some sort of satellite radio option with dvd. I dont have an ipod or i phone so a hook-up for bluetooth or that is not needed.

As far as speakers I would like to get whatever the best size for giving me nice reliable better than stock sound. I dont know about getting into subs or amps since its been so long since I have messed with stereos.

I would like for us to come up with a selection on door speakers, the double din, and whatever I can add to enhance the sound and experience that can be achieved.

I have had a few alpine head units and speakers only. I am looking at a few things but would love to hear your opinion on what to buy.

Thank you so much gents!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello DIYMA!

I recently picked up a 2003 Ford F-250 Supercab. This is the ext cab 4 door cab configuration. I am looking for a double din in dash touch screen, looking at possibly having some sort of satellite radio option with dvd. I dont have an ipod or i phone so a hook-up for bluetooth or that is not needed.

As far as speakers I would like to get whatever the best size for giving me nice reliable better than stock sound. I dont know about getting into subs or amps since its been so long since I have messed with stereos.

I would like for us to come up with a selection on door speakers, the double din, and whatever I can add to enhance the sound and experience that can be achieved.

I have had a few alpine head units and speakers only. I am looking at a few things but would love to hear your opinion on what to buy.

Thank you so much gents!
for a basic upgrade, start with crutchfield to see what will fit your stock locations. Then it is as much a matter of taste as anything. go to a stereo store and listen...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what i got so far to look at now i just need to find a couple amps.

Kenwood eXcelon Double DIN Nav like the 9980HD, 9960 or 99140
JBL GTO608C Grand Touring Series 6-1/2" 2-way Component
JBL P8662 6" x 8" 2-way Power Series
JBL P562 5-1/4" 2-way Power Series Speakers
JBL MS-10SD4 (MS10SD4) 10" Dual 4 ohm MS Car Subwoofer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how inexperienced do I look? haha

I need 1 set of 6x7's, set of 5 1/4's and one set of 6 1/2 components.

Id like some bass and 10's should be enough, hell 8's probably are. I have no idea on amps since after I tried reading up on them and got lost.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

Id like some bass and 10's should be enough, hell 8's probably are. I have no idea on amps since after I tried reading up on them and got lost.
Theres really no need to replace every factory speaker. A nice set of 6.5s and a set of did you mean 6x8's for rear fill will be plenty and alot easier to tune.
A nice 4 channel with front comps ran off two channels and a sub bridged off the other two is as simple as you can get.
The gto 6.5's are really nice for the money id put those up front amped with 6x8's in the back ran off the head unit.
Dont much about the subs though.

·
Registered
201 Posts

My advice on amps is to get a single multi-channel amp to run everything, if you can. My car has three amps and it was a nightmare finding a place to put everything. I imagine its even harder in a truck.

So did you actually buy all those speakers you listed? What location gets what speaker? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 6x8's are for the rear doors, the 5 1/4 for the front door and the 6 1/2 are for qform kicker panels. I bought the truck a few weeks ago and it has blown speakers on one side so im replacing them all.

So do you think a nice 4 channel can run it all? Id be willing to spend like 5-600 on the amp then.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I wouldn't put speakers in both the front doors and the q-logic kickpanels. No need for two sets in the front.

The MS2 subs don't look like anything special to me TBH. I'd run their GTO series instead... they spec out better.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The 6x8's are for the rear doors, the 5 1/4 for the front door and the 6 1/2 are for qform kicker panels. I bought the truck a few weeks ago and it has blown speakers on one side so im replacing them all.

So do you think a nice 4 channel can run it all? Id be willing to spend like 5-600 on the amp then.

I'd also skip the 5"ers in the doors, and just use the kick panels. How much power do you want to put into the sub stage? I just bought a soundstream stealth 4-channel amp, and really like it.

Depending on how hard you want to drive your subs, this could work nicely for you:

PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - Test Report: Soundstream STL6.620 Amplifier

100 or 150w on each sub will give you a nice solid sub stage. If you want a lot more SPL, prepare to go up to the 1kw range (you have to go up 10x power to double the spl). ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts