DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at running a very basic setup in a 1970 Ford Torino. This is a restoration project that I do not want to modify heavily... I am strongly considering Focal 270V3's... I have always been a fan of the focal line up. My goals are minimal modification, great sound and a semi-factory look...

I would like to place the pair of 5 1/4's in the factory location (top center of dash) firing upward and maybe outward and back a little.

The tweeters in the a pillars as far foward as possible and aiming directly across at each other

The 10's (midbasses) are to be installed in the rear decklid like an IB sub setup would be done. I believe they are crossed over at 315 htz

No sub is planned at this point
head unit will be something lo end like an Alpine 9881
amp will be a Diamond audio d1 300.4 bridged to the focals (150x2)

Anyone know if I can fit a pair of 5 1/4's in this location?
Anyone know how the imaging, staging, height, depth might be?
Is this a f'd up idea all around?
Should i just plan nothing or plan to modify a bit?
Should I just stfu?

I know this is probably just a try it and let us know situation but any help I can get ahead of time would be appriciated. Thanks

·
Registered
778 Posts
how about some pictures?

I love doing installs in old cars. Just recently did a 65 nova for a friend...;)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car isn't going to be picked up till next week and is not even going to make it to my house... I will take it straight to the paint shop for a full bead blast and paint... I will take some pics and post them up so people can see the before and after...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I believe that you should go with your idea, but aim the tweeters towards the middle of the drivers/passenger headrests, and cross the "midbass" around 60-70hz, and the mids around 85-100hz. The 315hz crossover will drag your stage back, and the tweeters firing into each other might cause cancellation but at the very least you'll have a shallow top end in they do not have great off axis response.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Focal tweeters are an inverted dome tweeter that imo work best off axis as for the crossover points these will be running passive and the passive crossover has the 10's playing up to 315 htz

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A little background on the car... My late father and I restored this car 17 years ago, we had it for 10 years and then sold it. Due to his recent passing I tracked down the person that we sold it too and bought it back. 17 years and this car was always outside is why it needs paint again. The below pics were taken 7 years back about a week before we sold it. Took me a minuite to dig them up.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Beautiful, sweet baby jesus beautiful... and I don't like Fords :D

We had a torino when I was a toddler, but I remember it. Few good stories about that car....

The Zapco torino always gave me wood, would love to see pics of it again.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is getting painted pearl white again and thanks Chad I appriciate it... as soon as the it is back from paint I will post pics and will probably start the re-restoration/ deadning and install... Oh and on a side note it runs 12.9 currently with its tiny little small block 302

·
Registered
628 Posts
The inverted domes are most effective on axis from my experience, off axis is fairly poor unless you have them near windshields, etc where the reflections compensate a bit. Off axis does take away some of the "bite" those tweeters have which can be a very good thing as their inverted domes can be a little hot on certain music (mainly poor recordings).

Anyway, with all that effort and the sheer size of the slate you're working with, I'd do kick panels. Pretty reversable and also it will give better imaging than having two drivers dead center of the dash. Tweets in pillars and you should have a really good sounding setup.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought about doing kicks and I guess I dont even need to affix them to the factory panels... I dont think the 10's will fit there but I know the 5 1/4 and tweet could... Maybe this is the way to go and just keep the idea of the 10's in the rear deck lid. Hmmm, I think I cant go wrong with the focals and I will just get the and do some trial and error positioning/listening... Seems like the best way to go... My only concern was possible probelms in the dash due to the space availible... Kicks would solve this and probably produce a better overall image/sound.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
It is getting painted pearl white again and thanks Chad I appriciate it... as soon as the it is back from paint I will post pics and will probably start the re-restoration/ deadning and install... Oh and on a side note it runs 12.9 currently with its tiny little small block 302
I thought they had a 351, i SWORE my mom's did, in fact I may still have the sticker for it!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Entry level has a 250 six, then a 302, 351, 390, 400 and 429... year and trim package dictated that... but for ectra dought you could have it your way back then...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just re-built the rear end and dropped it off for paint- The car will get all new weather stripping and interior when I get it back- I will keep you posted when I start the "install" and at that point will start an appropriate thread-

·
Registered
539 Posts
That is a badass car. And Im a chevy guy. But that is truly badass. I'd just lift the car a few inches (1 1/2"-2") to give it a little rake. GL on the system.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks a bunch, always means a bit more when it comes from a chevy or mopar guy... I may just do that and raise it a tad- I have a pretty wicked valence that is going on it when I get it back too

1 - 20 of 24 Posts