DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
18,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, I'd like to thank the fine folks at Madisound for helping me out with drivers. They've been extremely helpful and I can't thank them enough.

Driver:
Fountek FR89EX 3" Full Range - 4 ohm: Madisound Speaker Store

Notes:
  • I've attached reports in pdf format. I have also provided pictures of the more popular type data.
  • FR Testing at 0, 30, and 60 degrees as well as the accompanying HD data in this graph is done at 1m. You can see an approximate sensitivity at 2.83v/1m of 87dB.
  • IMD Voice sweep was done at 1/2m at the various voltages presented in the results.
I've also got the FR88EX to test as well. Here are some comparison pictures of the two drivers (the FR89 is a touch deeper due to the larger magnet):

Attachments

·
18,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
LSI Data:

Well, this is just crazy...

I tested both drivers, a couple times each. What I found was the same every time...
As the klippel testing progressed, I went from a measurable Bl (still with no certain xmax value, but overall the trend lines looked reasonable, etc) to Bl being off the charts and totally unmeasurable. The harder I pushed to resolve Bl, the quicker it goes to crap. If I keep my suspension at some minimum protection value, Bl still slowly creeps to unmeasurable, however, it takes longer.
The initial offset is about 0.6mm coil out with some slight assymetry but not terrible. As the testing continues on, the offset increases to 2mm ... then 3mm out... then *poof; gone*. This occurs after Bl protection has increased

I've never seen anything like it.

So, with all that said, the data below is really only a sample in time of what is happening. I captured this data just before Bl went crazy.
In addition to the 'good' data, I've attached the full blown crazy data in pdf; appropriately titled as such.

Again, both drivers measured exactly the same in this regard and both their Xmax distortion values were the same within 0.1mm (on Bl only; Cms as dead the same).

10% xmax distortion values:
Bl xmax = > 3.8mm (as stated above; could not get this to resolve no matter how hard I drove it)
Cmin xmax = 2.5mm

Attachments

·
18,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Frequency Response and Harmonic Distortion at 2.83v/1m:

Note: HD is referenced to 0dB axis.

Zoomed 0, 30, and 60 degrees measurements.

FR/HD Testing at 102dB (~7.3v @ 0.5m):

Zoomed HD:

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
They sure seem to have done a fantastic job on the motor. There is enough throw there for a 4.5" driver. If only they could have moved that cone breakup a little higher. Dual peaks that low hints at a very basic aluminum cone execution. I think it would work great for someone that desires a low LP filter, 2.5khz or thereabouts would do it. I hope they have a paper cone alternative, time to look.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
They sure seem to have done a fantastic job on the motor. There is enough throw there for a 4.5" driver. If only they could have moved that cone breakup a little higher. Dual peaks that low hints at a very basic aluminum cone execution. I think it would work great for someone that desires a low LP filter, 2.5khz or thereabouts would do it. I hope they have a paper cone alternative, time to look.
I just put a set of the FR88EX acting as a midrange in my Mini Cooper and even with very little tuning I can say they are best under 3k. I had a set in my Dodge Magnum firing into the windshield and couldn't see them being used without tweeters. Firing off the windshield gave me peaks at 8k and 12k and coupled with the dips, I had trouble making them sound good up high.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I just put a set of the FR88EX acting as a midrange in my Mini Cooper and even with very little tuning I can say they are best under 3k. I had a set in my Dodge Magnum firing into the windshield and couldn't see them being used without tweeters. Firing off the windshield gave me peaks at 8k and 12k and coupled with the dips, I had trouble making them sound good up high.
I could see a lot of people being indifferent to the first peak and cross under 4khz, but that second peak really is insurmountable. In turn, I bet if crossed low the reproduction is about as good as it gets for a 3". It's a tradeoff in design of sort, and well the aluminum looks gorgeous. Indeed a casual look at Fountek's website verify that they seem to be in love with aluminum.

Sadly I didn't get to play with these in my pods yet but they seem to be a bit better than the Peerless even, and those were built like a tank (aside from the plastic basket).

Personally I don't really believe in fullrange 3s anyway, the polar response is **** in the beaming range. Nonlinear distortion wise it would also have to have the breakup over 10khz to qualify as fullrange in my book. An inconsequential amount of 3s can do this.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I could see a lot of people being indifferent to the first peak and cross under 4khz, but that second peak really is insurmountable. In turn, I bet if crossed low the reproduction is about as good as it gets for a 3". It's a tradeoff in design of sort, and well the aluminum looks gorgeous. Indeed a casual look at Fountek's website verify that they seem to be in love with aluminum.

Sadly I didn't get to play with these in my pods yet but they seem to be a bit better than the Peerless even, and those were built like a tank (aside from the plastic basket).

Personally I don't really believe in fullrange 3s anyway, the polar response is **** in the beaming range. Nonlinear distortion wise it would also have to have the breakup over 10khz to qualify as fullrange in my book. An inconsequential amount of 3s can do this.
Agreed on all points. I have a Vifa tweet topping my front stage off and spent a large part of today messing with Dyn 430's in a friend's car...I would put the Founteks in that class for a dedicated midrange.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Agreed on all points. I have a Vifa tweet topping my front stage off and spent a large part of today messing with Dyn 430's in a friend's car...I would put the Founteks in that class for a dedicated midrange.
I don't know...this one is a more linear under-hung motor with really good inductance treatment. The symmetry is great and inductance is really low. This is class A material. A line array of these suckers looks really good right now. I guess I'll wait on the next few tests to see some other contenders.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fantastic motor. With the symmetry of the Le curve it looks like they have a bit of an undercut there, too. Too bad they didn't wrap more copper around the pole piece.

·
18,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not nearly as impressed as you guys are...

All I know is that as a full range, which is how many use it, this thing is ugly.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm not nearly as impressed as you guys are...

All I know is that as a full range, which is how many use it, this thing is ugly.
What would you think, spec-wise, on this driver if it was being run from 250Hz-3kHz 24db slopes? As a full range, it isn't a good option in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
What's the difference between 88 and 89 btw? I run the FR88ex as midranges in my build, began with [email protected]/12dB. After listening for a while I turned down highpass to 200Hz and lowpass to 4kHz, this seem to be the best working range. Don't like them fullrange, they should be used with a tweeter above 4-5kHz for smoother response imo. Mine is mounted onaxis, the detail is the best I've heard in any midrange in a car. Tried lots of 3-4 inches, including SS illuminator, Vifa "Trius", Dyn es430, Audison voce3, tb 871sc and the Dyn is the only one at par with this one in terms of detail. They are neither harsh or warm, kinda neutral sounding actually, not saying this the greatest speaker of all time but in this pricerange it's unbeatable! ;)

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
This driver is too small to compare to the Revelator. That basket is nearly 1.5" larger in diameter. Even the 10f is a bit large compared to this.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts