DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a four channel amp and I am running the dash and door speakers on the "front" two channels. All the speakers are coaxial. Obviously I am running the rear shelf speakers on the "rear" two channels. I have gotten mixed opinions on this. My head unit's built in crossover lets me manage Front, Rear and Sub hence why I didn't look for a six channel amp. I wasn't sure how I could have managed the crossovers via the head unit. All this being said, is my set up acceptable?

·
Registered
108 Posts
It might be acceptable, it might not be. If it sounds good to you and you don't want anything more from your system then don't mess with it. What is your goal with the system?

Give us some details on which head unit, speakers, and amps you are using? What car?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My question is more a technical one. The sound is perfect, no complaints. I am curious in regards to wiring four speakers on two channels. Are there any drawbacks? Is it an acceptable way of wiring speakers? Is there a name for this type of wiring? The only thing I was told is that it changes the ohms from 4 to 2 and the amp will need to work harder.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just about any amp is going to handle that 2 ohm load. The only real issue is the crossover point for the dash vs the door speakers. Your HU is only going to work for the lower of the two HPF points. You’ll need a passive crossover if you aren’t running them at the same level. More channels gives you more flexibility, but only benefits you if you’ll use it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dash and Doors speakers are hooked up to the "Front" channel therefore I set the crossover based off the dash speaker's capacity. I'm losing that extra performance that I could be getting from the door speakers for sure which sucks because I could definitely use the extra mid range.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I that case get yourself some compatible passive crossovers to set the HU for the door Speakers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All my speakers are coaxial which I know have built in crossovers, does that change the fact that I should still add a passive for the dash ones?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Why not run the rear shelf speakers off the deck power and then you can run the dash speakers on the front channels of the amp and the door speakers on the rear channels of the amp. You can use a y-splitter to feed front and rear inputs of the amp from just the front output of your deck. Then you can use the crossovers on the amp to highpass the dash and doors differently.

Also, first you said "the sound is perfect no complaints" ... and then you said "I could definitely use the extra mid range."
Those two statements are not compatible ... just sayin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're right, I did contradict myself. Let me clarify. I really don't have any complaints regarding the sound however it would not hurt to get a little more mid-range from the doors. See the dash are 3" and the doors are 5.25". My crossover for front is set at the specifications of the dash speaker's. I'm set at 160 with a slope of 18db. My door speakers can handle more bass than that. I just don't want to risk damaging the dash as they are the ones I hear the most. Door speakers are basically at my ankles in the VW Corrado.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts