DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it is not too often that we get to perform a rebuild on one of our previous clients vehicles, but such was the case when one of our previous FR-S customers came back to us in search of more sound quality.

The guy is super nice and since become one of our strongest supporters and friends...when he first met us for the initial build, he was unsure about aftermarket car audio in general having had some bad experiences...so that system was one of the most simple projects we have ever done, you can check out the build log here:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...r-s-illusion-audio-arc-audio-audiomobile.html

since then, he has check out several of our more advanced sound quality builds and finally decided that he wishes to achieve similar results. So it was time for a complete overhual of the system, every thing other than signal cables and sound proofing came out and a whole new batch of products went in.

the goals were still pretty specific:

1. achieve a nice level of sound quality

2. maintain a completely hidden look in the interior (using stock locations)

3. maintain a totally stealthy appearance in the trunk while drastically increasing bass output and overall system power

Jesse performed most of the build and i fabricated two small headunit and dsp related components :)

lets get started:

first a quick shot of the car, which sorta goes inline with the cosmetic preference of the system...as you can see, it is somewhat stock looking, but there is a bunch of meaningful mods done that either blends in or is hidden out of sight.

the same fuse holder bracket was used but it was retapped for a much beefier single 0 gauge holder:

the signal source went from one of the cheapest in the pioneer line up to the flagship 8000NEX unit. the customer is very knowledgeable in regards to smart phone tweaking, and with his jailbroken android, he wanted the best interface experience possible, and the 8000NEX with its capacitive touchscreen, was the solution:

Since using the appradio function of the headunit was a daily requirement, the customer did not want to simply have a bunch of cords hanging about in the cabin, instead, he asked for a blanking plate panel that takes up room in the oem storage pocket to house a single HDMI and USB female plug. the idea is that when parked, he can simply unplug the cable and leave a clean look. the factory usb was retained from the previous install, and that still works as a secondary usb input.

With the launch of the new Mosconi RCD mini controller, we decided to integrate one into his console for quick sub level control and pre-set switching. the little blank panel behind the shifter in the FRS really lent itself well to this. here is the finished project, with a piece of polished black plexi recessed into the console and frames the RCD-Mini.

we had also installed a very low profile backup camera for him (again the idea is to be subtle and hidden):

a few quick build pics of the two little inserts on the interior, as mentioned, they were the only two pieces that i built on this car.

first up is the pocket delete USB/HDMI plate. It consists of a precisely cut piece of mdf with two routerd out openings:

after repeated test fitting to ensure that it fits perfectly, the panel was primed and painted black:

two adapter modules were then bonded to the piece

and a set of cables plugged in and lead out:

the plate was then secured inside the factory pocket:

the mosconi RCD-Mini controller mount consists of two main pieces, a polished top cosmetic trim, and a support structure built out of 1/4" clear acrylic. here they are next to each other:

and here is a close up shot of the polished black acrylic top cover:

and with it installed in the car. the support structure's bottom plate bolts to the bottom of the controlle and then bolts to the beams coming from the top cosmetic trim, the two sides actually sandwich the consoles plastic to form a strong secure fitment:

moving onto the front stage, since the idea was still to use stock locations for a completely hidden install, we chose one of hte best two way options available with the Morel Elate MW6 midbass and the Supremo piccolo tweeter.

new mounting plates for the mid and tweeter were fabricated and coated with truck bedliner:

and they were bolted to the door, the door had already been sound proofed as part of the previous project, as well as new speakers run, so that step was not shown here:

the morel mw6s were then secured to the spacer baffle:

one part we paid some additional attention to was the door card, which received a whole bunch of STP CLD damper to help with resonance:

the same procedure was then repeated on the other side:

In order for the piccolos to fit under the stock grille, Jesse had to come up with a way to recess them and secure them from the underside of the adapter plate, so here is what he came up with using a simple bolt and nut method:

these were then wired up and secured to the car:

that is it for the rest of the interior, we also added some more CLD damper to the rear deck and "simpliciflocked" the edge of the third brake light as it likes to make contact with the windshield when the bass hits.

moving onto the main attraction, the trunk. the goal here was for a completely hidden install. This is perhaps the most amount of bass and power we have ever crammed into the trunk of a FRS, but with the grilles in place and the stock floor mat, it looks 100 percent oem:

remove the cargo mat and you see a new fake floor with a center grille:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
pop that grille off and here is what you see. two arc audio xdiv2 1200.6 6 channel amps are the front, and two audiomobile gts 2110 10" subwoofers at the back. all the components are flush mounted into white vinyl.

the subs reside in an enclosure thats just shy of a 1 cubic foot, while each amp powers a side of the car bridged into a 3 channel. meaning, one amp powers the left tweet and mid with 300 watts rms each, and the left sub with 600 watts, while the other amp does the same for the right side drivers.

simple and clean, and i think jesse did a great job for his first full custom fake floor build :)

lets get to some build pics of the trunk.

first, jesse sound proofed the entire area that will house the sub enclosure:

then the area was tapped off and marked:

then we have a slight gap in pics but basically, several layers of fiberglass went in to form the bottom mold, and then a piece of 3/4" mdf was glassed in to form the top:

after some more back filling and sanding, this is the final test fitment of the bottom half of the sub enclosure:

then all the platforms and supports were test fitted in the car with the equipment, before they were all secured together.

the top half of the sub enclosure which spaces up the subs to the same level as the amps was then constructed, painted black and secured to the bottom half of the enclosure. the amps and dsp were also wired up and installed at this time:

the enclosure is secured via the spare tire retaining bolt location, and everything else secures to it:

here is the main cosmetic trim panel before and after vinyl:

here is the main top floor after carpeting:

and here is the breathable grille before and aftet carpeting:

and finally, three pics of the wiring done by jesse, pretty clean i would say :)

so thats it, and sonic wise, this could be the best sounding FR-S we have done, despite only being a 2 way. the midbass is extremely power and full of extension, with so much headroom built in, the sound is pretty effortless. anyone with experience of the piccolos knows that its an excellent tweeter. always that fine line between detailed and smooth. the bass is quite impressive and easily the loudest and most authoritative we have ever had in a FRS. center image is pretty good, though with most upwarding firing dash builds like my own car, a dash mat could help quite a bit, width is just inside of hte pillars and depth is quite good to the edge of the windshield if not a little past in some songs. A very good system in a little sports car with an all hidden theme. :)

cheers,

Bing

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Me likey. Looks like those GTS2110's will work in some ridiculously small enclosures. I've seen you guys do several under .55 ft it seems like.

My next car (a few years away, yet) might be a BRZ so I like to watch these installs.

BTW, when do we get to see that old car you just posted up on FB?

Jay

·
Registered
110 Posts
Very very impressive as always.....I do have one question....

How is he using his Android in this setup? Also on another note, a Android can not be jailbroken....it is ROOTED :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
I LOVE the looks of the basket and cone of the Morel Elate drivers. Too bad you need to cover them!!

Awesome work, would love to have that kind of headroom on a system.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I was expecting to see the door cards modified to bring the 6.5's out from behind the plastic. And also to see the tweets in the a-pillars or sail panels. I know you could have made this all look factory. IMO those mode would have greatly improved the imaging and tonal balance more than replacing speakers in the same locations.

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
trust me i know, but ultimately, car audio, as any hobby related to the car, is a compromise, and stealthiness does hold some meaning to people, including myself in my own car.

but not to fret, we may have just such a FT86 build coming up :)

b

1 - 9 of 9 Posts