DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just trying to understand a little more about different types of front stage set-ups.

I have seen examples of using multiple small drivers to do the job of one big driver - e.g. 4 6"s to mimic a 10" sub. And I know one can model many different configurations with different size and numbers of drivers in winsd and get the same practical results in terms of output, bass extension, etc.

So if that is the case, I wonder why so many people are trying to fit larger and larger drivers up front in their doors, in their kicks, etc. instead of fitting more and more smaller drivers. I understand the problems with phasing and interference, but as long as the drivers are placed next to each other, surely that won't be a problem.

For example, lets say I have 6x9s on my front doors, which, I know I can fit a 6.5" on to it, but instead, how about if I fit 2, 5" drivers where the 6x9s were? I should get better bass extension - due to more surface area (as compared to 6.5"), probably very comparable xmax, but also better high end extension - because the 5" lighter cones will go much higher, and better, as compared to the heavier 6.5". And then chances are I'd also have more output in terms of dbs. In fact, why don't people just go a '1-way front stage (fullrange)' with like 5, 3" drivers on each side?

Why don't more people do this if this is the case? Does all this make sense or have I missed something important?

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
For "pure" SQ, you do not want multiple source playing the same frequency - it just won't sound good.
For midbass and bass, this is acceptable - can't really explain why since my knowledge is not up there with the best (and French is my 1st language) but I know a lot of Pros do it.

Maybe someone else can contribute to this...
Kelvin

·
Registered
229 Posts
For "pure" SQ, you do not want multiple source playing the same frequency - it just won't sound good.
For midbass and bass, this is acceptable - can't really explain why since my knowledge is not up there with the best (and French is my 1st language) but I know a lot of Pros do it.

Maybe someone else can contribute to this...
Kelvin
Almost correct.

For "pure" SQ, you can have multiple sources playing the same frequency. All to do with wavelength of the highest frequencies in the driver's passband.

Also you need to be good at filtering/eq, or else it's just going to have the same lack of low end as you would with 1 driver.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
I understand the problems with phasing and interference, but as long as the drivers are placed next to each other, surely that won't be a problem.
G'luck mate ! No worries for your system :)

That's what i like about Disney movies and WINISD is the true to life results >
quote>And I know one can model many different configurations with different size and numbers of drivers in winsd and get the same practical results in terms of output, bass extension, etc.
quote>

·
Registered
229 Posts
Eq and crossover settings become more important.

Look up comb filtering.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its just that I see pro home audio floor standing speakers that are made up of, say 1 tweeter, and 4, 5" drivers and work so well, so are they alot more complicated than just passive crossovers inside? with different time delay circuits for every cone? E.g.

http://www.av123.com//index.php?pag...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37

"The RS850 Sig produces more accurate and tighter bass than you’ve likely ever heard from a speaker whose largest woofer is 5.25”. The four 5.25" aluminum drivers have an effective surface area of an 11" woofer! "

So if I have 2 drivers next to each other playing the same signals, then one needs to be tuned differently from the other? Or do you they both just need to be tuned differently as compared to 1 driver?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its just that I see pro home audio floor standing speakers that are made up of, say 1 tweeter, and 4, 5" drivers and work so well, so are they alot more complicated than just passive crossovers inside? with different time delay circuits for every cone? E.g.

http://www.av123.com//index.php?pag...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37

"The RS850 Sig produces more accurate and tighter bass than you’ve likely ever heard from a speaker whose largest woofer is 5.25”. The four 5.25" aluminum drivers have an effective surface area of an 11" woofer! "

So if I have 2 drivers next to each other playing the same signals, then one needs to be tuned differently from the other? Or do you they both just need to be tuned differently as compared to 1 driver?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts