DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, longtime member but only occasional poster - figured i need to finally get around to not only finishing my install but sharing it too.

Car is a 2000 Mazda SP20 (think it was a Protege in the states when they sold it),aside from the stereo it's stock so nothing really to talk about there.

Put off doing the install for ages as I really couldn't justify it to myself. Decided to finally pull the trigger on it when I spotted the Dayton DSP as I already had an android tablet running a the source though a very old Alpine head unit and the factory speakers.

Set a budget for this of under $1000 NZ dollars for the equipment and ordered some gear finally.

System:

Source - Huawei 8 inch tablet running Tasker
Amplifiers - Kenwood X-304 and X-501 (I picked them up on clearance and really wanted the small footprint)
Sub - Infinity REF1200S 12 inch shallow sub
Midbass - Dayton RS180-4 7 inch speakers
Highs - Dayton RS75-4 3 inch speakers
Processing - Dayton DSP-408 (plus the remote and bluetooth adapter)

Basically hit my budget if I ignore the fact I only ordered 1 3 inch in my first order and then had to pay shipping again from the States to NZ on a single tiny speaker - oops

So car pic - please excuse how grubby it is at the moment

The original tablet install with the head unit in front of the cup holders

I plan to make a trim ring eventually and try and cover up some of the white of the tablet

Guess I'll start with the kickpanels as they are the most complete so far

Drivers side contained the fuse box so that was relocate up under the dash

Made up some mounts to space the speakers out a bit and then just carpeted to keep them tidy, also primed and sealed the exposed metal

Created a template for the new kickpanel, was a bit restricted since the passenger side has the heater motor behind the glovebox and right above the speaker so that dictated the size of the opening a bit and then i wanted to keep both sides the same

Umd and ahh'd for ages about the shape for the bottom of it but then decided i liked it following the line created by the sill panel so left it straight

So that's where that's at at the moment, waiting on some grilles to arrive so i can press them into the shape for the trim.

God i don't envy people who do entire build logs start to finish it must take forever. I'll try and get some more done tomorrow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The Mazdaspeed Protege looks like it would have been pretty cool with the turbocharged engine.
We only got the SP20 here in NZ which has the NA 2.0 litre engine, mine is a JDM used import of the same model.
I'm a big fan of the updated styling on this one compared to the previous iteration (mostly the headlights and front bumper).

For the passenger side midbass, just a couple of modules to relocate and then followed all the same steps to get the speaker mounted and wired and the cover panel built .

Both of the panels finished and ready to cover, can see here the difference in profile to clear the bracket for the dashboard and then the bottom of the heater motor.
Should get the passenger one done after work this evening

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Passenger side kickpanel trim covered and in

On to the pillars, routed a couple of mounting rings up for the 3 inch drivers

Aimed and attached, did the drivers side first so i only realised after i had got the positioning correct that i didn't need to remove quite so much material from the other one

Test fit with the speakers in once i had the rings properly secured with fiber reinforced filler

Hopefully get them shaped, finished and covered this weekend.

Mounted the remote controller for the Dayton DSP in the panel under the parking brake, makes it easy to locate without looking

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On to the trunk which will basically bring everything up to date.

Main goal here was that I retain all the usable trunk space. I usually end up with things in there for training and the like and with the rear seats folded flat i can fit sheets of timber if need be so didn't want to sacrifice that.

The factory trunk, storage cubby and space saver spare.

First proper go using my router, made a scrap mount i could use to turn up some rings for the sub enclosure

Final layer of the bottom section, the enclosure is then bolted down through this hole to the factory spare wheel bracket

This was my initial design for the baffle, you can see in the following photo though i actually changed this and lowered it around an inch while raising the section in front by the same amount. This netted a total volume of 0.77 cubic feet which is pretty much spot on for the Infinity 12.

Separate mounting panel for the amps, this definitely made wiring everything up a lot easier

And all connected up, just waiting on some sticky cable mounts to shape the routing of the speaker wiring and RCAs.
Dayton DSP mounted under the RH factory floor trim

This is prior to the wiring above but gives an idea of how everything sits relative to the floor

So managed to still retain some height for trim and finishing panels as well as some LED lighting.

So that's it for now, plan is to have everything finished before Xmas (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love the simplicity of this build.
Thanks mate, the budget dictated this a little bit but I was keen for a long time to try out a large format midbass and wideband mid / tweeterless setup and this felt like a good chance to do that.

We don't have any SQ competition scene here in NZ so although this is really just for my own enjoyment I figured the more complicated I made things, the less inclined I'd be to get around to actually finishing them

It wasn't until I actually started doing the wiring that I began to appreciate how much less there was to do with so few components so that was a pleasant surprise as well :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks mate, the budget dictated this a little bit but I was keen for a long time to try out a large format midbass and wideband mid / tweeterless setup and this felt like a good chance to do that.

We don't have any SQ competition scene here in NZ so although this is really just for my own enjoyment I figured the more complicated I made things, the less inclined I'd be to get around to actually finishing them

It wasn't until I actually started doing the wiring that I began to appreciate how much less there was to do with so few components so that was a pleasant surprise as well :D
I don't have any experience with a wideband so I'm interested to hear your thoughts on them.

And good point on getting around to finishing things when they're less complicated. Heck, it took me 2 years to start my install, but at least I've kept going on it.

More pics, please!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm really hopeful, definitely different to what I'm used to at least - I'll let you know once I get it all going.

Made some minor progress on the pillars tonight.

Fiberglass and resin was going to be a bit expensive for just the small quantity that I actually needed, so went with expanding foam to get the basic shape since I already had that.

Knocked a bit off after the photo since I didn't want it to be flush on the final shape or the filler likely wouldn't give me the lines I wanted.

Layer of fiber reinforced filler

And then first layer of body filler, started knocking it back and shaping a little before it just got too dark to carry on working outside

Should get them finished tomorrow night and then will be ready for covering on the weekend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finished the pillars today and all installed

Final fill and sanding

Covered in a coat of light grey but then I was concerned that it was actually a bit darker than expected and that the colour would bleed through the hoodliner material i was using. Recoated in some lighter grey and managed to end up with a blimmin' run in it. Once that had dried, sanded back and covered them in the hoodliner.

It actually bugs me that every photo of the pillars makes it look like they are slightly different shapes. To the point I've rechecked the curves of them a couple of times.
I'm putting it down to the way they're laying.

Fitted and speakers installed and connected

Just the grilles to go now on these too.

And the Trunk.

And the trim ring for the tablet.

Feel pretty on frack finally :D

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Really nice job on the A-pillars. Whole install is really nice but the simple elegance of your A-pillars hide the work you put into them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really nice job on the A-pillars. Whole install is really nice but the simple elegance of your A-pillars hide the work you put into them.
Pillars look great!
Thanks guys, dgage - that's definitely the look I'm going for at least :D

Just a couple of things finishing off the weekend.

Got my mate to 3d print me a ring that would press fit into the speaker recess in the pillar

Used this to copy up a couple of rings from 6mm perspex and then added a bevel on the inside edge

Test fit just to double check

Using my template and a peening hammer, rounded up some grilles.
Hard to see here but they're bowed out in order to clear both the surround and then the phase plug on the speaker.

Still trying to decide what colour to do the ring at this stage - I'm open to any suggestions though.
Also need to track down some tiny black screws to replace the silver ones - although the grille does a pretty good job of covering them it's just the sort of thing that'll always catch my eye and bug me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really great build here! I have always loved the way a recessed kick-panel midbass looks, and you pulled it off perfectly!
Thanks man, the sort of overall design approach was for things to be as low impact as possible (well, with the exception of the pillars) so with that in mind I was really glad I was able to get the speakers sitting so far back into the body.
That then meant the new trim barely extends out into the footwell past the factory panel.

I won't say that the space there affected my decision to buy this car six years ago, but lets just say it didn't go un-noticed at the time :D

got the drivers side ring and grille all finished

Made up a template for the amplifier opening, this will also get copied to perspex/acrylic

Going to cover the a pillar rings in like silver vinyl wrap so thought i might bring this across to the trunk too. The trims will go above the perspex and just the bevel of them will be visible

This will be the template for the middle layer which should allow me to line up the matching rings for the sub

Should be able to get the sub part done tomorrow, then Im thinking another layer of edge lighting and then the top panel which fits into that lip you can see on the surrounding plastic panels.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the pillar rings wrapped in brushed aluminium vinyl, going to re-do the passenger side as this was my trial run and I didn't sand down the lines made by the router bit so they are showing through

Made the trim rings for the trunk and then the top panel

Then copied the rings for the openings (please excuse the terrible photo, it was raining all day so wasn't able to get outside until this evening. So it was pitch black by the time I got finished).

This still needs some slight adjustment, at the moment it's an exact fit so I need to remove a couple of millimeters around the perimeter to allow for the upholstery vinyl.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts