DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used pontoon boat and the stereo worked for a few weeks. When it quit, I bought a cheap head unit and hooked it up the same as the last stereo. It lasted a few weeks and poof, it was shot. I thought it was the fault of the stereo and the seller honoured the warranty and replaced it. I carefully read the instructions for install and it appeared the other stereos were hooked up wrong. Hooked up the new one and again after a short while it quit working. Now I am wondering if the amp is causing this. Here is what I have: Head unit 45 watts x4, four speakers Kenwood KFC 1653 MRW 4 ohm rated at 50 W RMS, Amp is Kenwood KAC-M1804 400 W amp. I guess my question is do I need to use an amp with my system and if so, should I replace my amp in case it has caused my issues ?

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Are you running speakers off the 45wx4 head unit or the amplifier? How is the amplifier connected to the radio, through RCA cables or high level speaker outputs?

The amp should not be damaging head units.

Is there any chance water is splashing up and getting into the radio? Have you checked the voltage regulation on your boat?

Ge0

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the speakers were connected to the head unit with the supplied connector and the amp was connected by RCAs. No chance that any water got near the connections as it is in a sealed console and I've never seen any moisture in there or near the wiring. Thanks for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts