DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how I think corrosion from moisture had something to do with it but the leads on my 15 fried right where they go through the cone and connect to the voice coil. The coils are fine, I've verified this by simply bridging the now charred gap with a screwdriver. I'm poor as hell so I'd rather not re-cone the whole damn thing since everything else is still in perfectly fine condition. Would I be remiss to pop the dust cap off, solder some new leads in, and epoxy everything back shut? Do the leads *really* need to be sewn into the spider? Is this going to break again in 2 weeks?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I've fixed them before, not that sub but others. Sometimes there is enough tinsel you can solder it back together just be careful not to toast the cone. Sometimes you have to do more surgery than that, sometimes it works and some not lol. Some tinsel is resistant to solder, if you have a hard time some rosin can help. I use a solder gun if I can fit it, its hotter and will solder it faster. Usually its a no loss game except for your time...if it works great it was free...if not try again or spend some money you would have had to anyway. If it has sewn tinsels I'd try to use those or sew it again or attach to them some how so it does not slap. Some glue a new tinsel on the old one, not done that though. There are some threads here on it not sure how you would find them.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Look up Pierce Audio Products, find his web site, get on the forum and ask Pierce to sell you some tinsel lead. Cut the dust cap off, break the glue and solder your new leads on. Once you run them through if you can stitch the leads to the spider if you feel inclined or are afraid it's going to rattle (I would just because itmakes it look clean) you can get a hook needle for 2 bucks from your local Wal Mart that will make an easy task of this. I've repaired a few tinsel leads in my day, it's not that hard if you take your time. Another tip is, when you get the cone off and break the glue (you'll know what I'm talking about when you're in there) don't cut the lead! Pull the VC lead and the old hunk of tinsel through the cone and heat the solder, this will give you more to work with and your VC lead will be pre tinned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts