DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Houston we have a problem, my tweets sound REALLY harsh now that I've gone back to totally passive, and sometimes scratchy... however the 6" mids are really really quiet...

what are characteristics of a blown tweeter? Or maybe my amp is going? Something is very wrong, I went active and was having some problems, and came back to passive and it still sounds awful... so I'm wondering how to eliminate variables of problems...

Even with the gain cranked all the way up on all channels with the headunit turned way up, it isn't getting enough volume. I thought it was because I was doing active for the first time and it was messing up...

The back speakers which I had never hooked up while active now are giving me scratchy noises as well... so I'm lead to believe it's my amp... but any suggestions to lead me in a way to eliminate variables? guess i could hook up. some other bookshelf speaker to my amplifier and see if it sounds like poop also... advice, suggestions, condolences appreciated!

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Normally when tweters go, they go. The voice coils are very fine and love to act like fuses. In rare situations I have seen the formers swell from heat and cause some strange buzzes and lack of lower playable frequiencies. I have NEVER seen one get louder as a result of a failure mode.

You don't have a HPF filter engaged somewhere where it should not be do you? Also check that amp for DC before you do anything else, the passive will protect the tweeter but the mid is not protected. DC is the reason my a/d/s 850MX is de-comissioned, it was not full rail voltage, about 2-3 volts, enough to really muck things up. It ended up being a blown pre driver letting one side of the AB amp float up a tad due to biasing. It is still down because while poking around I finished that channel off due to thermal run away and oscillation :(

WOAH!!!! Screetching halt!!!! I just went outside for a smoke and realized the obvious. You don't have the tweets hooked up to the woofer side of the crossover and vice versa do you :) This WOULD certainly cause that problem! They would be very raspy, and the woofers would be playing at a very low volume due to padding in the crossover!

I know it sounds stupid... but we have all been there :)

Chad

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked, and one of the rear speakers was hooked up backwards, but everything else looked good... I will see if I can get a boom box speaker out there to see if I really am getting full range out of my amp, and if I am it means my speakers are the culprits, otherwise it's the amp... hate to see that amp go as I just had it repaired too :(

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it fixed! It wasn't anything that anyone else is going to be able to use in the future, the crossover modules specifically to the 8 channel 860MX a/d/s/ amp I have needed to be plugged in otherwise it was a really really distorted sound...

Thanks for all the help though... now that I'm back to passive and I figured out why active sounded so bad (amp issues) it'll take me a week or so to get enough time to go back to active...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts