DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey Jscoyne2,

Not sure sure if you were planning on adding CLD to the trunk area etc, but the factory applied "deadener" (the grey-ish wrinkly hard shit) comes up really easily with the gentle use of a heat gun and an old dull chisel (or other similar scraper) - any residue can be taken care of with some Acetone on a rag.
Did this on my RAV4 front wheel well and it was super easy... I have noticed that there are areas in my trunk spare well where the factory deadener is brittle and is basically flaking off in places. Will probably do the same when I get to working on that area...

In any case, just thought I'd throw this out there in case it was helpful to you.

Cheers!

Reactions: Jscoyne2

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I wasted a lot of mlv on the doors to having to cut it all away to. Same goes for thinsulate, did you remove that foam block and plastic square thing? I ran a piece of thinsulate after the window control piece to the rear of the door trim. After i got the screws in and fasters secure, I would then shove thinsulate in that vertical cavety and put in the switch trim.
Tried it on the wheel well today. Yea. No. Fuck that noise. Way too many curves to do.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Tried it on the wheel well today. Yea. No. Fuck that noise. Way too many curves to do.
[/QUOTE]

Which one? Inside or outside?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Which one? Inside or outside?
inside
[/QUOTE]
Rear wheel well right?

What I did was I cut sections of Mlv and layered them together with tesa double sided to cover the wheel as best as possible.

My first failure was trying to cover the wheel trim panel in Mlv.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I know each cars different and could be wrong about this material. But those rockwools might deteriorate and create a future problem for you like is a very common problem rusting the sills out on the MR2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Especially if the sunroof drains into that general area or the exterior quarter window seals start warping outward (it does this on Integras) and allowing water in there from the outside.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There's quite a lot of exhaust noise as the exhaust covers most of the back of the car. So i took out the spare(because i have AAA) and all the foam that surrounded the spare. In its place i built basically an acoustic trap. Its .5 mdf with mlv lining it and then Rockwool inside it. Does a pretty good job of cutting down on noise from behind.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Especially if the sunroof drains into that general area or the exterior quarter window seals start warping outward (it does this on Integras) and allowing water in there from the outside.

Checked the material beforehand. I shouldn't have any issues but im going to check in a few weeks after some rains. See how it holds up.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Loving the build so far!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Nice rims!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts