·
Registered
685 Posts
Beefy sub!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well. My boss tried to kill us by throwing us into a wall at 120 mph in his 400hp Mini Cooper. Luckily, we weren't hurt. In other news. Got some more work done on the fiberglass enclosure. It looks like its going to be just under 2 cuft...which is quite a bit bigger than what i need for my 12" driver. However, With the thickness of the enclosure, Plus the Thinsulate im going to load into it and the thickness of the future front wall of the enclosure. Its going to be one giant acoustic blocker for wheel well noise. So that's really nice. Ill do some Winisd specs and see what all .75 cuft does to excursion and QTC. I may end up cutting the left side down by a few inches. Will make wrapping it around the back seat easier and would put me in the right CUFT area i need.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Wow!!!

·
Wave Shepherd
2,411 Posts
Full tear down. Expanding foam in large nooks and crannies. Mlv with Thinsulate because of Justin Zazzis report on the best decoupler. Then a ****load of Rockwool.
Wait are you ... you mean for real? I didn't think anyone would actually do that! And Rockwool too!?
I'm curious how it turns out.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Wait are you ... you mean for real? I didn't think anyone would actually do that! And Rockwool too!?
I'm curious how it turns out.
Hey, you're the smart one. I'm just using what you said works. The rockwool isn't hydrophobic but its not supposed to hold water for very long and doesn't mold. I live in Oregon, so water retention, even short term. May prove to be an issue...but we'll see.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hey, you're the smart one. I'm just using what you said works. The rockwool isn't hydrophobic but its not supposed to hold water for very long and doesn't mold. I live in Oregon, so water retention, even short term. May prove to be an issue...but we'll see.
I'm trying thermafiber wrapped in plastic.Feels sketchy but we'll see if holds up.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
2in baffle. Plus some high stuff to make a cool little baffle ring. Will raise it to be more centered in the enclosure. Also gotta clean up some body filler and sharp edges on the enclosure that ive been lazy about. It

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Wrapped it and put super glue on all the side. Checked for fitment and resin'd it. Tomorrow ill start adding layers. Getting closer to finishing this one...and starting the left side.....

·
Registered
685 Posts
Nice work! I have never done fiberglass. Pure MDF guy.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Tapped two of the holes so i can get it out when its flush mounted without having to move the enclosure.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Had some water coming in via the air vents as well as them letting an obnoxious amount of road noise in so i decided to make a more "fart" designed vent. Basically i just took the originals out. lined the hole with butyl rope, stuck a piece of mlv to it and then cut slits into the mlv. Then put a line of gap filler expanding foam around it, then trimmed that. Expanding foam sticks to ****ing EVERYTHING so its just acting like secondary glue. Basically the MLV slits should let air go through when i close the door and there is a sudden pressure increase inside the car, but then return to their normal stiff sound blocking position. This is done on both sides. i just have pics of the one side with the enclosure. My phone takes trash pics. Sorry.

I have to say though. If you want a quiet car. Buy one because tracking down every tiny rattle in this car is a longggg process.

Note all the insulation, thinsulate and thin polyfill between the enclosure and the metal.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Just be careful that your new vent design doesn't allow exhaust fumes in. The originals are one-way vents for that reason among others.

·
Premium Member
2015 VW Passat TDI w/ Stage-2 Tune
387 Posts
Love my icon sub. Nice build 👍 I like what you’re doing so far.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Love my icon sub. Nice build 👍 I like what you’re doing so far.
Thanks! i know its kinda shotty looking right now but there is a final plan where everything will be highly polished. Really right now i just stripped most the interior and im slowing tracking down rattles and adding interior parts back on one by one.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts