DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Stuff is really fragile. I'm honestly not sure if ill be able to do the lighting the way that i want too. Might just have to go with a general rgb style. Won't look bad at all but we'll see

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
What i did was create a design and then had it cut out of both a sheet of black acrylic and clear acrylic. I think took the clear acrylic parte and put them into the spots i wanted on the black acrylic. Getting what you see above.

However i ran into some pretty big issues. When you glue acrylic you need the pieces to touch. When the acrylic was cut from a laser. The kerf of the laser is something like 0.03mm. Seems small but its enough that when i take one piece and put it into another. It fits really well but still isn't quite touching.

So all my pieces had to be pushed to one side or another which means anything large has some pretty big surfaces not glued.

The applicator that came with weld on 4 is also really bad. Its a needle nose on a bottle. You'd think, squeeze the bottle and glue comes out. Doesn't work like that though. You tip it and it just pours out the needle.

Idk maybe i got a bad bottle. But it made glueing that much more difficult and i made a bit of a mess. Any type of gloss acrylic is glossy because when it was initially poured. The mold had a smooth surface. When acrylic glue gets on that gloss. It loosens those molecules and gives you a matte finish. Which is obviously really bad for a finished lighted product.

Good news is. A coat of high gloss clear coat seemed to fix that issue up.

I am playing with some pretty tight tolerances with the amp rack as the subwoofer enclosure i built has the sub mounting pretty low on the enclosure and i cant go past that point.

That means i have to find a way to light this thing. Diffuse it. Deal with a ****load of wiring and get the relatively large amps all in.

All in all. I'll prob be within 1/8th inch when it's all said and done. Still working on a way to get the lighting the way that I want.

...do something totally unique and never done before...yea...great idea. Somebody shoot me

Is

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
What i did was create a design and then had it cut out of both a sheet of black acrylic and clear acrylic. I think took the clear acrylic parte and put them into the spots i wanted on the black acrylic. Getting what you see above.

However i ran into some pretty big issues. When you glue acrylic you need the pieces to touch. When the acrylic was cut from a laser. The kerf of the laser is something like 0.03mm. Seems small but its enough that when i take one piece and put it into another. It fits really well but still isn't quite touching.

So all my pieces had to be pushed to one side or another which means anything large has some pretty big surfaces not glued.

The applicator that came with weld on 4 is also really bad. Its a needle nose on a bottle. You'd think, squeeze the bottle and glue comes out. Doesn't work like that though. You tip it and it just pours out the needle.

Idk maybe i got a bad bottle. But it made glueing that much more difficult and i made a bit of a mess. Any type of gloss acrylic is glossy because when it was initially poured. The mold had a smooth surface. When acrylic glue gets on that gloss. It loosens those molecules and gives you a matte finish. Which is obviously really bad for a finished lighted product.

Good news is. A coat of high gloss clear coat seemed to fix that issue up.

I am playing with some pretty tight tolerances with the amp rack as the subwoofer enclosure i built has the sub mounting pretty low on the enclosure and i cant go past that point.

That means i have to find a way to light this thing. Diffuse it. Deal with a ****load of wiring and get the relatively large amps all in.

All in all. I'll prob be within 1/8th inch when it's all said and done. Still working on a way to get the lighting the way that I want.

...do something totally unique and never done before...yea...great idea. Somebody shoot me

Is
This is going to look killer! Looking forward to your progress. As far as lighting have you thought about cutting out an area smaller than the locations for the amp, dsp, fuse block? For example if your dsp location looks to be about 5x7" so center a 3x5" cutout there and remove it and wrap your led's around the perimeter of the 3x5" cutout with led's facing out and reinsert where you cut it out from. Your equipment will sit over it covering your work but the light will emit outwards form the cutout locations. Have I made any sense? Having a hard time putting thought to key board!!! Wouldn't that work?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
This is going to look killer! Looking forward to your progress. As far as lighting have you thought about cutting out an area smaller than the locations for the amp, dsp, fuse block? For example if your dsp location looks to be about 5x7" so center a 3x5" cutout there and remove it and wrap your led's around the perimeter of the 3x5" cutout with led's facing out and reinsert where you cut it out from. Your equipment will sit over it covering your work but the light will emit outwards form the cutout locations. Have I made any sense? Having a hard time putting thought to key board!!! Wouldn't that work?
Ive considered doing that and it would work. Been thinking more along the lines of how to light the smaller lines tho.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Year layer. Gorilla tape and rockwool hold up just fine.

I will say tho. When i roll my window down and back up. There's usually some rockwool on the window. So im pulling it out and wrapping it in plastic and putting it back in

·
Registered
338 Posts
Year layer. Gorilla tape and rockwool hold up just fine.

I will say tho. When i roll my window down and back up. There's usually some rockwool on the window. So im pulling it out and wrapping it in plastic and putting it back in

Would absolutely suggest the plastic. I would also probably leave that rockwool out in the sun for a few days. If it's saturated what so ever from being in the door without a bag already. Its gonna start growing stuff with the quickness when you wrap it

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Slight change of plans..an expensive one.

I had never really worked with acrylic so I didn't understand the materials properties. Thought i could really get the glow effect i wanted with frosted clear acrylic. Turns out. Thats more of a poor diffusion effect than the light up that I wanted. So i ordered the same design but this time with Opal White acrylic. Lights up exactly how i wanted. Don't have to bother with expensive etching.

Also last time i bought 4 large pieces of acrylic (2 clear, 2 black)and took out the negative of one to put into the other.

This time i saved abunch of money by simply buying 2 pieces. Leaving the factory laser cut tape on it and peeling off the tape where i wanted it black. Then i painted it all black. Peeled the rest of the tape off and had the designs i wanted in white.

I got some gloss black paint from walmart. Gave me dead black. Not even close to glossy. Slightly sad but still looks fantastic. Doesn't compare to the factory black gloss acrylic from before but thats okay.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
You must be a quick learn...that was a smart way to do it !!!

And while generally its not my style, I think it will look great and I am very curious to see the results.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
You must be a quick learn...that was a smart way to do it !!!

And while generally its not my style, I think it will look great and I am very curious to see the results.
I ordered abunch of samples of acrylic from Ponoko and lit them with Leds. Tested to see exactly which one gave me the effect i wanted.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts