DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
I drive a 2006 Camry so I know how that car grows on you. My dad gave me the car and at first I hated it. Now it is without a doubt the best car I've ever owned. Reliable as hell, loads of custom parts, tons of info online, blends in to cops, did I mention reliability?

I'm a very experienced mechanic and Toyota, scion, and lexus are the best cars on the road. If I work on a car with over 3 or 400,000 miles it's almost certainly a toyota.

Love the new car and can appreciate all the work you are doing to it. It's all worth it when you can drive it for 400,000 miles. Good luck
Agreed, and I'm a Ford guy. My step mother gave me her Solara in 2013 with 79K miles. Today it has 203K miles. The 3L V6 engine is bullet proof and rarely looses at stop light Grand Prix's.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Agreed, and I'm a Ford guy. My step mother gave me her Solara in 2013 with 79K miles. Today it has 203K miles. The 3L V6 engine is bullet proof and rarely looses at stop light Grand Prix's.
I'm jelous. I wish mine was a v6. Like I said mine has what it needs to be a good car and no more. The 2.4 is perfectly adequate. no more no less.

I'm a mechanic. The only pitfall of the 3.0 is it runs a rubber timing belt. every 100,000 miles it needs replacement.\
If you haven't done it or are don't know for sure. Replace ASAP. could potentially destroy your sweet v6. Toyota messed that one up.

If you already knew, awesome because the job costs hundreds.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm a mechanic too. I've never cracked the timing cover. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it other than oil, filters, and spark plugs.

I've personally replaced all 4 strut assemblies, fuel filter, valve cover gaskets, the driver's side axle, both tie rods, sway bar end links, all 4 rotors, brake pads, emergency brake shoes, and all the o2 sensors.

20171007_142236.jpg
20171007_142210.jpg
20210409_152729.jpg

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I have looked at whats out there for more power options and unfortunately. There isn't anything much. There are kinda some turbo options but nothing all that bolt on or "set." I have a hard time trusting any turbo options that havent been tried and tested.

Some people have said that its possible the 2011 Camry v6 engine may have the exact same engine mount points in the Camry and Scion tc2. But again, nothing concrete.

Its a great car. i love it but GOD I WISH there was more options for just a little more HP. Idk, may at some point way in the future. Ill figure out how to do an engine swap.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'd like the 3.5L in my engine bay! I wonder if the 4L truck motor will bolt to the Camry transaxle???

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm a mechanic too. I've never cracked the timing cover. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it other than oil, filters, and spark plugs.

I've personally replaced all 4 strut assemblies, fuel filter, valve cover gaskets, the driver's side axle, both tie rods, sway bar end links, all 4 rotors, brake pads, emergency brake shoes, and all the o2 sensors.

View attachment 299702 View attachment 299703 View attachment 299704
I checked and that engine HAS a rubber timing belt. It needs to be replaced every 80-100k miles. if it is not replaced, later on when it fails it could bend valves as this is an interference engine. not replacing the timing belt can turn a good engine into trash when it fails.

If you don't believe me, do your own research please. if not replaced you might be putting a new engine in your camry.

i just wanted to be sure about the timing belt thing. i would hate to see one of those fine toyota v6 engines grenade for no reason.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm not sweating it. It was a free car and I already got 125k miles out of it in 8 years of having it. It needs another engine, then its off to kars4kids or a 3.5L V6.

·
Registered
19,101 Posts
First time using tech flex. Not super fun.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Just a heads up, if that tech flex is aluminized mylar (mylar that is reflective is most likely aluminized), you better hope the techflex isn't touching the bare wire under that heat shrink or you are going to be in for an interesting time.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Just a heads up, if that tech flex is aluminized mylar (mylar that is reflective is most likely aluminized), you better hope the techflex isn't touching the bare wire under that heat shrink or you are going to be in for an interesting time.

I checked with a multimeter. No continuity at any point. Its just plastic.

·
Registered
19,101 Posts
I checked with a multimeter. No continuity at any point. Its just plastic.

Plastic that may be slightly conductive. Again, just a heads up. Don't want to see anything happen to this build or you

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Plastic that may be slightly conductive. Again, just a heads up. Don't want to see anything happen to this build or you

Fer sure. Thanks. Ill send the guy I got it from an email. See what its made from

·
Registered
19,101 Posts
Fer sure. Thanks. Ill send the guy I got it from an email. See what its made from

Usually those plastic metallic techflex lines are mylar.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Usually those plastic metallic techflex lines are mylar.

If i take a run of the techflex. Connect it between the battery terminals and dont have any kind of issue. Thay should be a safe bet yea?

·
Registered
19,101 Posts
And now im concerned

What we did when we used brass techflex was put on a layer of heatstrink that goes from over the jacket to about a quarter inch over the stripped and exposed wire, then the techflex set back a reasonable amount, then heatshrink over that again.

·
Registered
19,101 Posts
If i take a run of the techflex. Connect it between the battery terminals and dont have any kind of issue. Thay should be a safe bet yea?

Take a video :)

·
Registered
19,101 Posts
But yeah, key words here are metalized mylar

"Flexo Chrome XC heavy duty expandable metallized mylar sleeve is ideal for dressing up any application with the look of braided stainless steel."

81 - 100 of 121 Posts