DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you want them to overlap into each other? Or can you say set the midbass LP to say 1500 hz and the tweeter HP to 2000 hz? or should I look to try and blend the mid up to say 2 khz (as long as it can handle it).? I have seen some people do both, and wanted to know which is best?

·
Registered
531 Posts
the best = whatever is best to your ears.

fiddle fiddle fiddle.

until YOU are happy.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wasnt sure if there were any general rules. I keep reading that someone wants to use a specific driver with say the LPG 25nfa tweeter, but that it wont be a good combo because the tweeter cant play low enough to be matched with the driver. This leads me to believe that they need to overlap. If thats not the case, then why can more drivers be coupled with the LPG 25nfa. Like the Dayton RS 7" driver?? Thanks

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I think the response needs to overlap just enough to make a VERY clean transistion, because even if you have a 24db cut at 3khz either way it won't cut off clean...even at 3.5k your still having some bleed over....and a clean response with no cone breakup and such would be ideal to have through the xover range..

With my LPG26's and Seas CA18's i use say.....2.5k @ 18db on the CA18...3.15k at 24db on my LPG's....Sounds very nice i think.....But the CA18's can easily go to 4k without any problems....

·
Registered
531 Posts
using the rta on the behringer 2496....the 61 band one......i haven't had any peaks around my crossover points using 24db/octave slopes :) that's why i like them....

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
AzGrower said:
Do you want them to overlap into each other? Or can you say set the midbass LP to say 1500 hz and the tweeter HP to 2000 hz?
That's roughly where I have my Seas/Dayton 8's x-overed at.

Any more gap and things sound too seperated in my instance, and any lower with more overlap and things begin to get, blah. I was trying all sorts of spots for the LP and HP and different slopes all this weekend - I love my Kicker SX :cool:

But I'm with Derek, you gotta do some fiddling in your vehicle to dial it in with your ears, but I'd say that's a good starting point.

-aaron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts