DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
reason>

I didn't remove a side of the car, I just brought them together.

Yes it sounds MUCH better. I was just listening to Holly Cole's "I Can See Clearly Now" and I'll be damned if the stand up bass plucks are EXACTLY right behind her! It's like they go back and forth throughout the song....she sings, the bass comes in...she sings. The piano is on the right, and to my ears, is further away than the bass.

Again, it's like I can tell where her mouth is on her face...whereas before, she was just singing on the track...kind of sort of in the middle of the windshield. The windshield is gone now and the music is alive. It's all about focus. And when you have an exact image that is well focused, the stage seems further away because the respective elements of the original recording are resolved.

end>

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...8-help-my-soundstage-ate-my-windshield-2.html

:)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I need a good EQ, like bad.

I have my DCX waiting to be installed, but I'm not sure if 7 bands per driver is going to be good enough to get results like that.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If the DCX works the way I'm thinking it does, then I have 7 bands for each driver, well the midrange and tweeters anyway, sub and midbass will be controlled by the 9887. Looking at a 31 band EQ, if I adjust every other band in the passband for the specific driver, it should work out ok. I think with the DCX's EQ being able to go up to a Q of 9, I should be able to accomplish something close to what you got.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Although I still feel that I could EQ my ass out of any situation... I still firmly believe that less is most certainly more, especially in close quarters.

·
Registered
754 Posts
So I did this yesterday. My 880prs only has a 16 band EQ instead of 31 band, but I still got great results from doing this. It centered my stage big time. Its as if I can easily localize each individual instrument in the sound stage. Drumsets arent just a mess of sound now, I feel like I can pinpoint where each drum, snare, symbol and kickdrum is located in the set. Vocals are MUCH cleaner.

This was pretty neat for only taking ~15 minutes to do. I just need to get the stage higher now. Time to move the tweeters to the pillars. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts