DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Single cab F250, JL 12W6 on a Slash 1000/1

Front firing or down firing ?
It'll obviously be a custom console so how it's built is wide open....

I had a 10W6 in a very small DF box...it sounded great but I decided to try a 10W7 in a front firing box....it also sounds great so I'm torn on how to do the next one.

Are there any scientific reasons why one would be better than the other in a small cab like this ?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Just bang it in a box and try-also worth checking the sub is ok for down firing-there's some threads relating to this already running-I think its an AA white paper detailing it IIRC

·
Registered
230 Posts
i personally would do front firing, because the sound (in theory) will build up in your dash, and in front of you, and give the idea that the bass is coming from in front of you. every sound quality competitor who is really really serious, has like a 10 or 8 inch sub in their firewall, just to get that bass from up front. if you are more of a bass head, and you want it to seem louder, i would say down firing. there is a strong mental thing of feeling vibration, and it seeming louder, and down firing boxes ALWAYS shake the floor a little bit, and will give you more of what seems like volume. if you were super awesome, you would point a sub forward, and use a down firing passive radiator, and you would have the sickest system on da block!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm 41....I don't need the sickest system on da block. LOL
Straight SQ will do just fine.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Bottom firing probably be best. But one would have to experiment and build both to really compare. SQ wise I believe bottom firing be better for low fhz.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Firing a sub down doesn't change the fs of the sub or anything, just the resonance of the sub in the vehicle, so what you are thinking of is a boomier sound, not lower

·
Registered
385 Posts
My vote is for front firing. I'm actually planning on building a side-firing centre console soon (side due to mounting space available without moving the seats over).

Really, SQ will not have anything to do with a 'bass wave' as the longest wavelength even at a quarter wave will be in the range of 60Hz, so 120Hz for a half wave, and 240Hz for an actual wave. These numbers are on an assumption that your longest interior length will be ~5ft. Really what it will come down to is phase reflections and exciting room modes or resonances. The interior of a vehicle is just too complex of a structure to say one design is best as these two design choices are equal contenders. Try placing your sub in those theoretical spots (just in a simple sealed test box) and listen to how your cabin reacts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts