DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have focal components up front, the driver side door mid woofer caught fire and the tweet is ruined also. they are ran off of a kicker zx650.4 amp, i noticed thier was some moisture in the door. crossovers are in the door also, can my amp send dc voltage to the speaker or does it have proctection circuitry???? what are the possilble causes of this, i know its impossible for anyone to tell me exactly what happend in my situtaion,. but how could this even be possible to being with???? thats where i need to start,, i was told to send the amp into kicker . im trying to decide if the amp caused this or the focal components,,, the amp and other speakers work fine now , i disconnected the driver side door and all other speakers and subs work fine. the fire on the speaker was very hard to put out also, at first i noticed something smelling burning, then i saw flames under the door panel. the fire did not want to go out easily!!!!! i have had to replace theese focal midwoofers before in the past but i thought it was due to playing them to loud and they simply stoped working after a couple of years . this time i made sure not to go to loud on them and all of a sudden one catches fire!!!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I've only heard of a speaker catching fire one time. It was a 15" that had a clear piece of plastic covering the pole vent to keep crap from falling in. If you don't take it off, the coil will get hot and catch on fire.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
DC will do it, also oscillation..

And the obligatory, this thread is worthless without pics!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what kind of pics do you need man??? i have this focal speaker right next to me here, let me know if you want a pic of that,, the fire looks like it went right up the tinsel leads of the speaker it left a burnt trail.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I had a K2P mid catch on fire myself. I beat the living **** outta that door trying to put it out. LOL
No idea what caused it but Orca replaced it with no questions asked and it was at least 2 years out of warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ORCA has done a good job with my warrenty until now, they have already replaced theese 2 or 3 times!!!! now this fire happens,... these are k2p's also man!!! help!!!!

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Take a DMM and test for DC power on the speaker terminals for that speaker, while it is playing, and no don't hook a speaker to them until you do some testing on this amp. If there is DC it should way less than 1 volt. Common blown amp it would show DC power even with no music playing, just if the amp is on. There are some other issues it can have that will not, but check that first. I doubt a little moisture would bother passives, but possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
all of the other speakers sound find including the passenger side front stage focal, this one speaker that caught fire , is compleltly ruined, it melted togeather.. i need to test the speaker outputs is basically what you are saying????

the problem is i was told this amp might be faulty when i called focal,,, i am thinking this amp works noramally 99 percent of the time, but then "freaks out" and sends DC to my speakers every once in a while??????? if that is the case how do i test that at all?????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kicker has already given me a RETURN MERCHANDISE AUTHORIZATION number for this amp, im just wondering if its the amp or not, if i get a regular multimeter what should the DC voltage be on the speaker outputs ??????????

·
Registered
564 Posts
In a perfect world it would be 0 volts DC output. Test it both with the volume at zero and with the volume cranked but the headunit playing a test tone (not regular music)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I've heard of a sub in a ported box catching fire and burning the car down. Never a mid or tweet though.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I've heard of a sub in a ported box catching fire and burning the car down.
I've personally witnessed a couple certain models of crown amplifiers setting stage monitors on fire.

Neet effect, makes for a nice potty break while someone "puts the PA out."

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I've personally witnessed a couple certain models of crown amplifiers setting stage monitors on fire.

Neet effect, makes for a nice potty break while someone "puts the PA out."
I thought it was only behringers that did that ****.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts