DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My project car is finally in rolling chassis form, and I'd like to ask you experts about eventual stereo install, particularly the front stage. My goals for it are simple; clean sound with a balanced freq response and nice imaging. Deep bass, high output, wide and deep soundstages are secondary; finally, the equipment needs to look as factory or low key as possibe.

I'm thinking 3 way, Seas L16 "Midbass," Either the BG Neo 8 or a 3-4" wide ranger (10F Scanspeak, Zaph z14, TB, Fountek 88, etc), and a Seas neo or Neo3pdr. Specific product suggestions are welcome, but I'm concentrating more so on help with system design; the reasoning's below.

I'd ideally like a simple Midrange/tweet combo with the subs, but as my 1st photo shows, the factory door speaker locations are only 3" and set well forward under the dash (undercut doors). Likewise, the kickpanels are extremely deep in the footwells. I guess that means 3 way, unless pods are built in rearward in the door panels, which would look goofy. Picture 2 is the door panel.

So, what I'm thinking is bury a midbass in that deep kickpanel, play >300hz or less. Run a widerange in the factory door location which is deep enough that it almost is like a newer car's kickpanel; I can slightly angle the cutout for better imaging. Finally, run a tweeter either on that panel 90 degrees to the kickpanel, call it the "kickpanel edge," or on the a pillar. From the photos, would you guys agree that's the best compromise for decent sound and a clean, factory-1960's stock-looking install?

I mentioned the BG Neo8 as a possible midrange only because that "kickpanel edge" could house it fairly easily, and I've used and enjoyed the Neo8 in a home speaker build. I don't think it's really feasible, as the potential midbass location would have to play to0 much fundamental-range stuff with the 8's low end limitations.

I have much more I could say, but am already writing a novel, so any questions or feedback fire away and I'll be happy to go into detail. Finally, any other picture angles of the interior needed and I'll send.

Thanks to All,

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick FYI,

Attached photos are not mine; culled off web since mine's in pieces. The 2 pic's attached have different dashes. Here's what mine will eventually look like, save for some switch location and equipment level differences.

Thanks Again,

Jeff

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts