DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I fried one of my tweeters, so I'm looking at replacing my front stage.

Current setup:

2001 Subaru Impreza RS (sport sedan - noisy as all get out on the highway)

Alpine iDA-x305 HU + PXA-H100 Imprint processor (will tune myself mostly by ear with parametric EQ & T/A - I have the auto setup kit and did not like the results - but I'd like to figure out some rta software if I could use that mic ....)

Alpine PDX-4.150 (150w x 4 or 300x2)

Alpine SPR-17S Type-R 6 & 1/2" components (passive crossover box) - I'm pretty sure my left front tweeter is fried

Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bd (1500W x 1)

2x Alpine SWR-1242D dual 4 ohm VC 12"

4 cu ft net vented at ~35Hz

200+ sq ft of Dynamat Extreme and B-Quiet Ultimate.

0/1 ga., 140A alternator

I'd like to replace my tweeters and mid-range drivers and I'm looking for recommendations. Mid-range's are 6.5" and are located in the lower front corner of the door (at the feet), tweeters could be 0.75"-1.25" or so and are located in front of the door handle (chest level).

For power, I will be bridging my PDX-4.150 to run the midrange's - so 300W RMS x 2, and I read these amps are often underrated little beasts.

I'll need to purchase a small 2 channel amp to drive the tweeters. How much power should I get? 50W per channel? 75W per channel?

Quality is important for the tweeter amp. Thinking a good solid old school amp off E-Bay. Any recommendations on old school amps? It's too bad Alpine doesn't have a PDX-2.75, if they did I'd get that.

Points of importance in driver selection:

• Because I like bass, I need a front stage that can play quite loud to keep up with my subs.
  • As much as I like loud, I also like quality. Front stage must be able to play cleanly at high volumes.
  • Mid-range drivers are by my feet. So, way off-axis, if that matters.
  • There's currently a large dip in output in the transition between my subs and mids, it sounds very unnatural. I would like to get mid-ranges that can really hit hard down to around 100Hz. I'm also considering adding dedicated mid-bass drivers later on, like a couple 8"s, but I'd like to avoid the complexity if I can find mids that do the job well enough. If that's not likely possible, I'd go for good mids now and just plan on adding larger mid-basses later. Opinions?
  • My current Type-R tweeters are too shrill and the mid-range's vocals are too harsh, I'd like a smoother sound - but not blurry either.

Budget:

For the 2 channel tweeter amp, I'll spend whatever I need to get the amount of clean power I need. I'd prefer a deal, like a used old school amp. I imagine there are many good options; I just don't know what they are. Thinking I can be maybe well under $100 here?

For mids & tweeters, I guess I want a fair amount - high output and good musicality. I'd like stay within a few hundred, but if I need to spend more ....

I'm really a n00b when it comes to brands outside major retail, and there's not going to be anywhere around me to demo them. That's why I'm seeking recommendations here. Plus, I'm hoping I can get more for less.

Also, My doors are dynamatted, but should I be putting any kind of foam or anything behind the midranges, too? I seem to still get some resonances in the door, and I wonder if my poor mid-bass response is not my Type-R's, but the enclosure (or lack thereof) that they're in.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Keep trying ;)

excessive power will burn up any old speaker [ tweeters, super tweeters, mid range , mid bass, woofer, subwoofer ...].

Just get something that is inexpensive at this point, the mids and tweeters are the easiest to hear distortion in ...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think it happened when I sent a couple test tones through - I thought the passive crossover would attenuate 1KHz to the tweeter enough to not damage it (had -2dB attenuation jumpered on the tweeter as well). Last time I try that.

If I replace the drivers, I'd like to at least utilize most of what power I have available, if possible.

If less will do I can always turn the gains down. I got to turn the gain down a little more on the subs after going ported, and my electricals liked that.

I'm also considering a PDX-4.100 for tweeters and mids and save the 4.150 to bridge to a couple of 8" mid-bass, but again - it feels like more crap I don't need and more $$. Getting a little tired of that.

What's realistic to run tweets off of? 25W (I could probably run that off the HU)? Sorry, I really don't know.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm ... Somehow one of the tweeter wires got pinched and shorted to ground. Fixed it. Bridged the amp. Sounds great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
think you know what im going to say....Rainbow Profi or Germs. It has a saftey mech that wont let you damage it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep trying ;)

excessive power will burn up any old speaker [ tweeters, super tweeters, mid range , mid bass, woofer, subwoofer ...].

Just get something that is inexpensive at this point, the mids and tweeters are the easiest to hear distortion in ...

You were right, but hey - I like to learn the hard way sometimes.

After correcting the short, everything sounded great. I was thinking I should've attenuated the tweeters a little more, though.

Then, today, both tweeters went at the same time. They are now open circuits. (but it was working so well .... haha)

So .... back to the drawing board. Lets keep it simple and stick to tweeters for a second.

I guess, I'm not even really sure how to go about selecting a set.

I mean, there's some obvious parameters, like nominal load, size, and power handling.

My experiment proved to me that tweeters don't like a lot of power. So, I would think I would want to select a quite sensitive set of tweeters.

Beyond that, I suppose there's "quality", but I'm not even sure how I would define that, and of course its subjective and pointless to gauge outside of the actual environment the speaker will be in, right?

What do I need to know to make a decision I won't regret too much later?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think well of the DLS UP6. For the money the original is hard to beat, and I've heard these in that car... but not the new ones with the cast frames. The UP6 midwoofer has a 2" VC and a neo hybrid magnet. I have run them in my wife's car for a couple of years crossed over at 60.

The Morel Hybrid Ovation and Dynaudio System 242GT would also work great - and cost more - and they need a little more power than the UP6.

I heard good things about the RB but I haven't heard them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DLS UP6 ...
Morel Hybrid Ovation ...
Dynaudio System 242GT ...

The DLS UP6 I would say is def in my price range. The others, def not in my range right now (other projects ..).

But .... Those are all component sets. If I go fully active (and I can and want to), I won't run the passive crossovers - so I'd be paying for them and not using them.

So, what kind of installation were those UP6's in? Just hanging in the door? Deadener? How much punch did they have down to and I guess even below 100Hz?

The Morel 28's are enticing, but spendy. I could afford them, and wait on mids since I have some that at least work. The 28mm's are a bit big, but I could fit them. And I was thinking if I could get a larger tweeter and cross it lower it would be better.

The MT-23's look fancy, I guess. But almost $500 for tweeters. Is it worth it? They do appear fairly efficient and handle a surprising amount of power.

I don't think I'll get another amp just yet, so I'll have the PDX-4.150. 2 channels for the tweets, 2 for the mids.

So many choices. I'm not really sure how to differentiate them, outside of price and power handling and sensitivity. I'm also not really sure what will be "enough".

I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to be spending too more than $100 per speaker (so like $400 for a set of tweeter and mids - no passive crossovers needed). Would I likely be disappointed in whats available at that price? I guess I did spend over $100 on each sub, and the mids and tweeters are way more important to the overall quality of the system as a whole, I think.

Any more suggestions - 1-2" tweeters, 6&1/2" mids, no sets with passive crossovers, $300-500 total cost, maybe? More if need be, less if possible. lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Maybe just some cheap SEAS tweeters from Madisound. Something to get me rolling again without breaking my bank. Something I can try and not fear how much I spent on them.

How would one chose out of, say, the 75 different soft dome tweeters on Madisound?

Like, here's the SEAS Prestige 27TDF (H1211) Textile Dome

91dB sens., 90w continuous 220w peak, nice flat frequency response down to almost 1kHz, $33.

How would I know if something like that is worth buying or not, versus the 20 other $30~ tweeters on the site with similar enough specs?

Like compared to the Vifa DX25TG05-04 ohm 1" Fabric high dispersion Dome Tweeter

93.5dB sens., flat (I think, can't quite figure the graph) response from 20kHz down through 1kHz. No power handling figures given, though.

Or these are interesting, and reasonably affordable: Morel MDT30S 1" Textile Dome Tweeter, Aluminum Face Plate, Rear chambe <-- how would this one be?

90dB, 200w nom 1000w peak, rolls off gradually from around 4k down through 1k. Has a big face that would be trouble to mount, though.

lol, I'm finding so many candidates.

These - decent power handling (120w nom), good sensitivity (91dB). Off-axis roll-off is only severe above 10kHz, otherwise response is flat way on through 1kHz. Dirt cheap.

SB Acoustics SB25STC-C000-4

But ... big question here .... Is a $30 tweeter going to sound like I would expect a $30 tweeter to sound? (i.e., like crap)?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I guess I'm terribly impatient ......

So ... I'm filling in an order for two Vifa DX25TG05-04's. After searching most of the morning, I think I want to try these, and for $65 or so I don't have to worry if I don't like them (unlike the twice as spendy Morel MDT30S.

My only complaint is that nowhere am I seeing power handling numbers, but everyone is saying it is high. Okay ...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lolz ... I looked at the dimensions before ordering, but damn is that thing huge and totally the wrong tweeter for where I could mount it!

Ha ha. I'm such a n00b sometimes.

But I really like the look of the vifa, and I could use a new 2.1 setup for the PC in the bedroom, so .... another project. :)

Still no tweeters in my car, though.

This thread didn't seem to get me very far, so I guess I'll just keep reading and trying different ish.

On the plus side, at least taking the doors apart and trying to find a mounting position got me to finally cover the last few spots way up inside my front doors with deadener. Huge improvement!

Maybe I'll throw some pics of my mounting spots up later. Perhaps that would help.

Otherwise, still searching for a decent ~1" tweeter without a gianormous mounting plate. Also probably then looking to replace my 6.5" mids, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts