DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I am sure this is asked all the time as I see lots of info but never seem to get a good answerI am ready to take the plunge on my new vehicles sound system. Currently added to Factory Meridian 380"watt" System w a Wavtech loc and sub amp and subs and it stepped up sound amazing compared to what it was. I am not ready to go in more and move to the front. Previous vehicle was a Jeep GC and had Morel Tempo Ultra comp set up front Active off an Arc Audio ks300 and back door factory speakers ran off fact HU for fill along w 2 12w3 subs off a Arc KS1000 Run though Audiocontrol DM608 DSP for reference.

On to this Jag...Front has 3 way 1" Tw, 4" Mid and 6.5" Woof in front door. Back door was 6.5 woof and sep tweet and also there is a sub somewhere from factory in back hatch area (not sure if it was unhooked or just tapped into for LOC signal. (Professional Install as I am talentless!) SO now here is where questions arise I need all new front equipment amps DSP etc and want to be loud and clean but on a budget. I have never done 3 way front set up aftermarket but feel I have to here with the layout of factory system. I am leaning to the DM608 or 810 due to familiarity my installer has with it as well as myself. Here is where all the questions start and I know not where to begin.

1. Active or Passive? My dilemma is I would need TWO 4 channel amps and bridge one 4 channel to run 6.5 and the other one to run 4 channels to mid and tweet?
2. 3 way set that matches or buy a la carte? (I know nothing about this)
3. If I went with like a Mille 3 way or morel 3 way set - would it be easier to just run Passive of f of approx 150W on each side of a 4 channel and then run back door speakers off other 2? I lose benefit of DSP correct???
4. Or is it better to get 2 weaker 4 channels and bridge one of them to go active 6 channel like I mentioned and then scrap back door idea?

I think that's it for now but I am sure I will have other questions. Also for reference I will be using the 12w3s for sub stage. I LOVE the lows馃榿

thank you in advance!!

Premium Member
Definitely active if possible, that way each driver can be EQ'd (and time aligned) on its own. Have you looked into 8 channel amps? JL audio has two different 8 channel models. I used to run one of them.

Lastly, if you end up wanting a Mille 3-way set, I just posted my lightly used set for sale.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated! I was aware there are some 8 channel amps. Seems like they鈥檙e super pricy and I was thinking I could save a few bucks getting 2 4 channel amps. I feel like I can get a couple good 4 channels for 300 each as opposed to paying 1k for an xd800/8 or similar. I never mentioned budget but it鈥檚 not tiny nor is it huge. And it鈥檚 flexible if I need to make the larger commitment. I鈥檒l take a look at your set in classifieds. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.