DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I've been gathering gear and materials for my new front stage build, but I may have had a change of heart with the design. So far I have a set of Polk DB 6501 components and a Boston GTA-704 amp, but I find myself reluctant to retire my beloved stock components. They are extremely loud and clean off HU power, and the tweeters are so very smooth. They get uncomfortably loud before they ever distort. And, of course the tweeters are hidden behind the stock grills. On the other hand, the Polks are very power hungry. I have an Alpine CDA-117, and everything is time aligned to my tastes, and the difference in the stock front and rear (Sony 5.25s for now) speakers' sensitivities comes out perfect for me to keep the fade at zero for the right sound stage.

So, my options are one of the following two:

1). Install the Polks, and bridge the 4 channel and gain adjust it to approximately 125 watts RMS x 2, and power my rear fill off the HU, as it is now.

2). Hold off on the Polks, and run the 4 channel front and back, and gain adjust it to approximately 50 watts RMS x 4 (theoretically the difference in the volume from front to rear will stay the same ratio).

Has anyone ever chosen to do this, amping the stock speakers for whatever reason?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
i heard the db 6.5 at electronic express. granted it was in the wall, but they sounded good and had impressive mid bass.

then i heard them at a GTG in a honda element. again impressed. he was the only one to run name brand stuff while everyone else had raw drivers and to me his sounded just as good

i would for sure install them and bridge the amp on them, HU power the rears.

just my opinion

·
Registered
159 Posts
What car is this? Just curious what car might have stock speakers that impressive...

Honestly, i've never been a huge fan of polk components, but I'd still have a hard time believing that your stock speakers would be better than them.

I guess i dont mind your idea of bridging the amp for the front components and running the rears off the HU, but ive never done that, nor do i really think that the polks need that much power.

Seems like i'd just run the 4 channel as a 4 channel, and give your polks the 70 RMS and adjust your rear channel how you like it. That's just me though...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i heard the db 6.5 at electronic express. granted it was in the wall, but they sounded good and had impressive mid bass.

then i heard them at a GTG in a honda element. again impressed. he was the only one to run name brand stuff while everyone else had raw drivers and to me his sounded just as good

i would for sure install them and bridge the amp on them, HU power the rears.

just my opinion
Awesome man! Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What car is this? Just curious what car might have stock speakers that impressive...

Honestly, i've never been a huge fan of polk components, but I'd still have a hard time believing that your stock speakers would be better than them.

I guess i dont mind your idea of bridging the amp for the front components and running the rears off the HU, but ive never done that, nor do i really think that the polks need that much power.

Seems like i'd just run the 4 channel as a 4 channel, and give your polks the 70 RMS and adjust your rear channel how you like it. That's just me though...
Saturn L200. I'm telling you, the stockers are insane. Midbass is just OK, but they soar. My wife has the 5.25 inch Polk DBs, and I like my stockers better than those, so I'm curious if the 6.5s will be much different. I have the Pok 6.5s hooked up to my desktop stereo at work without any enclosures, so it's hard to translate that to in-car performance.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
could always build small enclosure for the 6.5s and listen before you go through the whole process of installing them

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whatever I decide to do, at least I'll have a backup plan whichever way I go. I could always sell the Polks if need be, or hang on to them for another vehicle at some point, maybe my beat up work truck or something. I wish I could foresee the exact difference, as I'll have to wire the car a bit different for either option. I did give a demo to a guy I sold a pair of Kenwood shallow 12s to, and he couldn't believe they were stock speakers.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I have decided that these Polks will definitely replace my stockers. They have been breaking in at work every day on the the desktop stereo, and their sound has actually gotten a little warmer. I plan to surface mount the tweeters so as to not irreversibly modify the stocker tweeter mounts. I don't really see all the hate these speakers get on various reviews and forums. They sound really good, especially for only $125 shipped.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Has anyone ever chosen to do this, amping the stock speakers for whatever reason?
I've done it. Stock speakers usually get a bad rap, but you gotta love the high sensitivity they have! I'm considering amping stock 6.5s for high output midrange (250 Hz - 1 kHz) in a 3-way system. Using stock speakers is a cheap way to get high output midrange without having to invest in pricey PA drivers, IMHO. I don't know why more people don't do this.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If the stock speakers sound good to you, there is no reason to replace them. On another note, I have an L200 and the rear deck sub as well as the door 6.5's distort with very little volume. I can't see the Polks being a backwards step at all.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If the stock speakers sound good to you, there is no reason to replace them. On another note, I have an L200 and the rear deck sub as well as the door 6.5's distort with very little volume. I can't see the Polks being a backwards step at all.
I removed the rear deck sub, but the "Advanced Audio" 6.5s up front don't distort until volume level 23 on my Alpine. I still haven't installed anything, so this debate is still on for me. I really am partial to the Saturn tweeters for some reason.

Edit: I'm assuming your mention of the stock sub implies that you are/were using the stock HU, or at least stock amp. Mine distorted really easily too until I pulled the stock HU and bypassed the amp. And, now they're high passed at 100 hz.

I could always add extra wiring when I install the 4 channel to enable me to switch configurations easily at the amp, and just install the Polks real quick in the doors if the factories don't work out.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
My stock front speakers in my Saturn were and maybe still are the best sounding factory speakers I've heard. It didn't stop me from replacing them, which immediately resulted in even better sound.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My stock front speakers in my Saturn were and maybe still are the best sounding factory speakers I've heard. It didn't stop me from replacing them, which immediately resulted in even better sound.
Those were probably made by ACDelco. I've noticed that their speakers are pretty good for stock. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, stockers would make great midranges but they wouldn't work well for midbass due to the limited power handling and/or xmax.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the responses guys! The reason I'm so torn over this is because I want to have amped rear fill (but attenuated lower than the front of course). If I keep the stockers, I will run the 4 channel x 4. If I install the Polks, I will bridge the 4 channel for lots of power x 2 and buy a smaller matching 2 channel for the rears.

I've been listening to the wife's Polk 5.25 comps last night and this morning, and I just took my car for a drive a few minutes ago. The biggest apparent difference is not the midbass in this case. It's the tweeters. The stock tweeters are very mellow, but clean, and the Polk tweeters are also clean, but much louder, even at -3 on the Xovers.

So, I guess the real debate is not necessary SQ in my case, as the Saturn comps deliver with a clean signal. It comes down to whether I wanna run 3 amps vs. 2, the aesthetics of the stock tweeters vs. the protruding Polks, and whether I want the extra volume potential of the Polks.

Thanks for listening and giving opinions. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
You are right, I am using the stock headunit/amp. I like the 6 disc in dash changer, but have been contemplating installing a clarion 775 I have.

Have you thought about keeping the stock tweeters and using the rest of the polk components?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are right, I am using the stock headunit/amp. I like the 6 disc in dash changer, but have been contemplating installing a clarion 775 I have.

Have you thought about keeping the stock tweeters and using the rest of the polk components?
I did think of that, but I'm concerned that there may be a gap between the mid and stock tweeter, as the tweeter has a cap (and by the sound of it, a very high Xover value) The stock mids have poly cones with a paper whizzer cone in the middle, so they reach up really high, and the stock tweeters add the sparkle up top.

If you install a new HU, just cap off the stock speaker wires and run new ones from the HU to the door speakers, or at least close to where the wires pass through the body to the doors.

·
Registered
178 Posts
BTW, I also have that GTA-704 amp, thought it was a great amp for the price. Just a nice solid & quiet pc of equipment, impressed with BA. I think bridged is 250 W/ch which is pretty good for a 70W/ch x 4 amp.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW, I also have that GTA-704 amp, thought it was a great amp for the price. Just a nice solid & quiet pc of equipment, impressed with BA. I think bridged is 250 W/ch which is pretty good for a 70W/ch x 4 amp.
Great to know! Mine has been NIB for a few months - haven't gotten around to powering it up to test it yet. I've been running the GTA-1000m since summer, and I'm more than satisfied with it for sub duties.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, after much listening tests, and after getting used to the difference in sound, I decided that running only a front stage sounds pretty good to my ears. So, the Polks on a ton of power is going to be the winning choice, and I'll be wringing some midbass out of them with sealing and deadening the front doors. I'll leave the rears on the HU for the times I feel like some extra ambience.

Another major factor in my decision was that I've been having to boost 10K by 3 dbs and 17.5K by 6 dbs on my PEQ to get the stock tweeters loud enough for the rest of the mix, even though their SQ is very nice. The Polk tweeters will allow a much flatter PEQ.

Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts