DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys hows it goin? I'm having a hell of a time with front stage imaging lately. I'm running CDT HD 6.5'' braxials in the doors with the upstage kit. The image tweeters are cross firing from the A pillars. Sound is "ok" but it sounds like half the sound is muffled and coming from the floor......(cuz it is)

Right now I'm running off the CDT passive crossovers and headunit power. (Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX )

Do you guys think I would be better off mounting the 6.5'' and tweeters on the dash??(there is a ton of room)

What benefits would I get by running a 4 channel amp and going active? ( I've been looking at the dayton DPS-408 )

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
If staging and imaging are big concerns a DSP is really the only way to get it right in a car. Having EQ for each speaker, or a least per side is the only way you'll get a stable center stage that doesn't wander depending on the frequency.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you can mount the midbass woofers on the dash close to the tweeters, your imaging goals will be made easier, for sure. Is there a possibility of putting a larger woofer in the door and making a 3 way front ?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My headunit has like 13 band EQ.....but its only 2 channels (for 6 speakers) so I'm assuming this is a tough job. I will try the auto tune and see if it helps.

I WISH I could go 3 way front stage. I think its just alot to ask for. It would require a 6 channel amp correct??

I have a 5 channel I MB quart amp I can use. I was thinking of going 2 way front stage on the dash with the dayton DSP......and either 6.5'' subs in the doors or just like a 10' under the seat.

would 2 way with individual eq and time alignment get me closer to a good sound stage?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sub-bass just doesn't work in doors unless you plan on deadening and damping them inside and out and completely sealing them up. Not worth it. Put the sub in the very back ?
You could power the midbass and midrange with the amp and power the tweeters with the headunit (y)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sub-bass just doesn't work in doors unless you plan on deadening and damping them inside and out and completely sealing them up. Not worth it. Put the sub in the very back ?
You could power the midbass and midrange with the amp and power the tweeters with the headunit (y)
ok so midbass 6.5'' in doors. 3 or 4'' midrange with tweeters on dash. Subwoofer in the back or whatever. Tweeters off the headunit is a great idea! I think I can actually even set it up with a HP filter on the headunit set up as the "front" speakers. Than I can use the "rear" speaker RCA outs to feed the other channels on my 5 channel amp !

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
No need to make this more complicated than it needs to be. You already have a 2-way component set with the CDTs and the 5 channel MB Quart amp. Add a DSP (like the DSP-408) subwoofer, enclosure and get to tuning. I would eliminate one set of tweeters (braxial or upstage) but I would keep them positioned at the A pillars. More on axis aiming of the tweeters may help, as well.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No need to make this more complicated than it needs to be. You already have a 2-way component set with the CDTs and the 5 channel MB Quart amp. Add a DSP (like the DSP-408) subwoofer, enclosure and get to tuning. I would eliminate one set of tweeters (braxial or upstage) but I would keep them positioned at the A pillars. More on axis aiming of the tweeters may help, as well.
That is some good advice. Maybe I'll start here :)

just for argument sake, what would I get out of a 3 way system that I can't do with a 2 way? (I've never really ran a 100% fully active crossover system)

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
That is some good advice. Maybe I'll start here :)

just for argument sake, what would I get out of a 3 way system that I can't do with a 2 way? (I've never really ran a 100% fully active crossover system)
The typical limitations in a two way system is that most tweeters can't play low enough to mate up with a 6.5"+ midrange below beaming. There are tweeters that are exceptions, but they typically aren't common or cheap if you are talking about car audio brands.

Adding a midrange to go three way does complicate the tuning process and installation, but can allow you to use each of the drivers within their optimal range. In a properly configured three way nothing has to play lower than necessary and only the tweeter has to play up to it's beaming range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts