DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi!

so as it stands right now, i'm driving a '98 honda civic sedan. i have a basic setup consisting of a clarion cz500, mtx 6304 4 channel amp, infinity 6030cs front speakers, kicker ks69 for rear fill driven by the head unit, and a jl 12w3v3 in a ported box built to jl specs (1.75 cubic feet, tuned to 30hz)

i like everything except the front speakers. the tweeters are too bright, and the midbass is nonexistant. i have the woofers mounted in my doors and the tweeters flush mounted in the kick panels on axis. i'm guessing i'm pushing them with close to 75w per side, as my amp is rated for 75w x4 to 2 ohms at 12.5 volts. my doors are not sealed or deadened, so that's probably part of the problem, but either way, i really hate the tweeters and the infinity's just aren't the sound i'm looking for.

my amp right now is of course running the components with the front channels, and the rear channels are bridged to my sub. what i'm thinking about right now, is getting q logic kick panels for my car. i'll of course deaden them with a sheet of dynamat or something similar if i can find anything else that can be sold in one sheet, and then put new components in. i'm looking at the image dynamics ctx65cs, which are on sale from woofers etc for $160. i want a fairly smooth tweeter and good, strong midbass.

next, i also plan to get a sub amp. i'm looking at the massive audio n2, for about $200 shipped from sonic electronix, or a jl slash v2 250/1 for $220ish on crutchfield right now. this way, i can bridge my 4 channel amp for the components so each side will get around 150w.

my question is, will those speakers and kick panels be okay for what i'm looking for? i don't want to get into a big project of sealing my door and deadening it with 6 layers of alphadamp, i just want something that will be somewhat simple to install and improve my front stage.

thanks!

edit: just realized i posted this in the wrong section -.- sorry..

·
Registered
340 Posts
i had the same infinity speakers and yes... they are not that good. no mid bass. i was also giving them around 75-80W... and when i switched them out to a set of focal v30s using the same a75-80W amp i had... the difference was night and day.

your doors are not the problem. those infinities are really not that good. no mid bass even on a sealed door. you may need to do some sealing to get mid bass out of whichever set you decide on though.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
i had the same infinity speakers and yes... they are not that good. no mid bass. i was also giving them around 75-80W... and when i switched them out to a set of focal v30s using the same a75-80W amp i had... the difference was night and day.

your doors are not the problem. those infinities are really not that good. no mid bass even on a sealed door. you may need to do some sealing to get mid bass out of whichever set you decide on though.
He speaks the truth about those Infinity's. I had a pair in deadened doors & they were still horrible... tweeters were very harsh also.

I don't know much about those ID's, but I'm sure they are a step or two above the Infinity's. I bet there's probably some reviews or comments on here you could search for to get a better assumption of what they're capable of. :)

What's your budget BTW?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
completely agree with both of you about these infinities, lol. terrible purchase. :[

i have read some reviews/impressions on here and it seems that they have a good sound but i really hate to buy speakers online since i can't hear them first. seems like they have strong midbass from the comments though, but i'm curious about the tweeter.

my budget is flexible but with the speakers, amp and kick panels, i'd like to try to keep it under $500. i totally forgot, but my step dad has a friend that owns a stereo shop somewhat nearby and he'll give me deals at or very near cost on a couple major brands (polk, alpine, jl, hertz to name a few, as well as the q logic kicks) so i believe i can get an alpine amp very cheap. i'll probably head down there sometime this weekend and see if i can listen a little and get some price ranges.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great info, thanks!

unfortunately my factory kicks are already kind of messed up, they each have a hole in them for my infinity tweeters. :p i'll consider making my own kicks, but i really don't trust my craft skills enough to do that, lol. and i'm not going for anything extreme, just something simple that sounds good.

i'd rather not go active because of all the extra work involved in that kind of setup -- i'm sure it sounds amazing (i've never heard a high end sound system aside from headphones) especially for the price but it's just not worth the work to me in my civic. i'll be getting a new car in a couple years and definitely consider an active setup a bit more, but for now, i just want some stuff that i can fairly easily setup.

sometime this week i'll go down to that stereo shop and see how cheap they can get me some q logic kick panels and i'll go from there. i'll certainly be deadening them to the best of my abilities, so that's not so much of an issue. i'm also looking at the jl xd3 for a replacement amp, looks like a decent 3 channel amp which would be perfect for my needs in this car, while being very efficient and small.

and i would sell the rear speakers, but i do commonly have passengers in the back and they really appreciate it, lol. plus, they aren't really worth enough to sell, i think i only paid like $60 new for them on a crutchfield special. :p

when looking at the Q, what is ideal for IB?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the link on Qts, makes more sense now.

custom kicks don't sound too bad, but i have one kind of dumb question about them: how do you get them to snap in? haha, i'm assuming all kicks are like this (this is my first car and never worked on any others) and have the little tabs on the sides that clip into the trim panels. it does have one or two screws on the driver side and one on the passenger side, but how would you get those clips perfect on a fiberglass kick panel, or do you not even worry about that?

it definitely isn't best buy :p stereo king in oregon. i haven't ever been in there before, but from what i've heard it's a decent place, and having the benefit of being related to someone that is close friends with one of the owners is a huge advantage for the price of anything they sell!

i definitely want to listen to all the different types of speakers. i know i prefer silk domes, my step dad had a set of old phoenix gold comps from the 80's or 90's i think, not exactly sure, but the tweeter was pretty much perfect for my ears and was a silk dome -- following the general sound signatures of soft dome tweeters vs metal dome, i definitely prefer silk dome.

thanks for the info man, definitely looking forward to heading to the shop to take a listen sometime soon and get some price ranges and perhaps make a purchase if i can hopefully find something i like!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Custom kicks dont sound too bad" ?????!!!!!!!!!!!
haha, i meant the process of building them! :p

i'll consider that, thanks. :]

·
Registered
491 Posts
Serieus,

What are you doing on Sunday the 16th?

I have an opportunity for you to talk with some "OG"s in the SQ arena and see a basic IASCA rookie install happen. We also have some swag that we'll be giving away.

This is a perfect opportunity for you to pick up some knowledge about your install.

·
Registered
491 Posts
There is actually...nope...I was thinking Wisconsin.

This little shindig is really just a get together for some good friends who like to compete in IASCA and USACi. We're brainstorming for next year's competitions in our area and miht as well give someone some advice and show him/her some neat ideas and techniques.

Besides, Columbia City is maybe half an hour away from the shop we're doing this at...might as well stop by and see what's going on.

·
Registered
491 Posts
That's messed up. I know that our shop wouldn't laugh at you. We'd ask how you wanted to install them and if there was any way we could assist.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
really? that would be amazing! i don't think i'm busy on the 16th, so i'll probably come in. where's it at?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Streamline Audio
8901 NE 117th Avenue, Vancouver, WA 98662

We're going to have Bill Pleasant as the visiting SQ-head, myself who might know a little bit about this sound thing, Drew Snapp who combined with my performance took it to USACi supermod Q and IASCA's Amateur SQc in the Northwestern regionals this year...We'll have at least one of the guys that works at the shop there helping with install on the little project Civic. I'll also be playing with speaker placement to re-do my front 3-way stage for my step up into Pro/Am in IASCA next year. I've got some targets to take down...

You'll see a handful of things going on...

and

...unofficially there's steak and beer...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds great! i'll definitely do my best to make it there, hopefully i don't get loaded up with homework around that time.

haha, and i'm underage (19) unfortunately. :p but i'll make it a plan to try to stick around for awhile. sounds like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
491 Posts
At least you'll be able to have some steak.

It should show you the camraderie that we have. If nothing else this experience can expand your network of contacts. Knowing the right people is invaluable!

Drop me a line when it gets closer to the time.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
for sure, thanks for the invite! will make sure to do that.

do you happen to know if the shop has the imagine series set up for demo? i'd like to take a listen to that set in particular since it's so popular around here.

·
Registered
491 Posts
They should have some imagines ans well as mirus sets. Any sound board demos just don't do the Imagines justice IMHO. They sound better in the vehicle. I should really put a set in my wife's truck to demo a real world quick install.

My setup is all Legatia SE. Bill's is a mix of Clarus and legatia, and Drew's T-bird is Legatia and horns.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
awesome! sounds like it'll be a great experience then! thanks for the info, i'll send you a pm the thursday before and let you know for sure if i'll make it. my name's chris, by the way.

·
Registered
491 Posts
EM -

No owrries about Chris. We'll take care of him out here. Too bad you're not closer, I'd invite you for some steaks and beer too!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chris, welcome to the world of DIYMA
thanks man, lots of great info, just trying to sift through it. can't wait to see what they do to their project civic on the 16th, hopefully it'll give me some ideas for mine!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts