DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is with great sorrow that I am giving up this fine amp. I have used it for 7 months with no problems whatsoever. Specs available at

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/Slash_amps/500_5_MAN.pdf

Functionality 10/10
Apearance 7/10

Only "problems" with the amp are the scratches that I have posted the pictures of.

I am asking $315 shipped con us. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Local pickup is possible also. I will accept paypal or cash.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
bump for you...nice amp!

I didn't realize that these JL's allow for a fully active setup already onboard.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks forthmeal. The amp is great for active, the only downside is you cannot under lap the crossover between the rear (25w) and front channels. Otherwise perfect 1 amp solution.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks forthmeal. The amp is great for active, the only downside is you cannot under lap the crossover between the rear (25w) and front channels. Otherwise perfect 1 amp solution.
What do you mean that "you cannot under lap the crossover between the rear (25W) and front channels?"

I want to use this with my stock BMW headunit and run active up front and my sub in the trunk.

Thanks,
J

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
He means that you can't overlap them, so when you set the pass at 2.5Khz, that's what the other channel gets as its cross point as well. So, unlike a typical active crossover, you are unable to create an overlap, like say you wanted your mids crossed at 3.5, and your tweets at 3...can't do it. The tweets would be a 3.5 as well.

IMO, big whoop...EQ is technically a crossover if you use it correctly. You can EQ more dB's at the cross point and change it entirely.

Also, the sub stage can be STRAPPED with a JL 250/1 for double the power. Neato.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, the sub stage can be STRAPPED with a JL 250/1 for double the power. Neato.
I did not realize that! Nice feature!

What do you mean that "you cannot under lap the crossover between the rear (25W) and front channels?"
You cannot over or underlap. The xover point is fixed as forthmeal said. Underlaping is done sometimes to prevent the gain when 2 drivers are playing the same frequencies (at the xover point). An example: tweet hp at 5k and mid lp at 4.5k.

·
Registered
116 Posts
He means that you can't overlap them, so when you set the pass at 2.5Khz, that's what the other channel gets as its cross point as well. So, unlike a typical active crossover, you are unable to create an overlap, like say you wanted your mids crossed at 3.5, and your tweets at 3...can't do it. The tweets would be a 3.5 as well.

IMO, big whoop...EQ is technically a crossover if you use it correctly. You can EQ more dB's at the cross point and change it entirely.

I did not realize that! Nice feature!

You cannot over or underlap. The xover point is fixed as forthmeal said. Underlaping is done sometimes to prevent the gain when 2 drivers are playing the same frequencies (at the xover point). An example: tweet hp at 5k and mid lp at 4.5k.
Okay. Thanks guys.

Please let me know if the sale falls through.

J

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sale fell through. Amp is now available again.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Never new the 500/5 could be strapped with a 250/1? It can run a second 250/1 as a slave amp though. All the crossover functions of the 500/5 can control additional 250/1s giving you a second, third, fourth, ect, ect sub channels.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Can't strap to double the power, but you can add amps using the preamp outputs.

They use the term "Master/Slave", but it's only in that the first amp (the 500/5) controls the signal that goes to the other units. Doesn't have anything to do with strapping to get more power.

Check the manual on page 24... ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't strap to double the power, but you can add amps using the preamp outputs.

They use the term "Master/Slave", but it's only in that the first amp (the 500/5) controls the signal that goes to the other units. Doesn't have anything to do with strapping to get more power.

Check the manual on page 24... ;)
Who reads the manual?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I dub this the official Incorrect Information Thread. :rolleyes:

Nice amp none the less. Bump.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I dub this the official Incorrect Information Thread. :rolleyes:

Nice amp none the less. Bump.

Its my fault.

I read the manual, and perceived it to say that you can connect a 250/1 to it and get double the amplifier power. Maybe because that's what I wanted it to do.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Amp is available, again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Price drop, $290 shipped conus.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Wow I can't believe it!

So many people want a decent 5ch...and your price is right.

Sorry for the misinformation in the past on this one, hope it hasn't affected your sale. I simply read and inferred the manual incorrectly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts