DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

For those who are using small speaker or signal wire to run a balanced signal to DIY RCA plugs and do not want to have loose wire swimming around inside the RCA, I make insert adapters that will clean up your installation. They are 3D printed using ABS to withstand the temperatures inside of a hot vehicle. I can scale them whatever dimensions you request - length, internal and external diameters.

Note - I am only making the plastic inserts; you will need to supply your own RCA plugs.

Colors - I currently have black, white, and pink ABS available. If two or more people want the same color and place their order, I can get the desired color and make them.

How the process works - reply in this thread to tell me the quantity you want and the length, outer diameter and hole diameter you want. If you don't know for sure, check the manufacturer's website for the RCA plug you are using - it should be listed. If the specs are not listed, you will need to take measurements of your RCA plug. I will PM you to verify your specs. Once I receive payment, I will make a test print and take measurements to ensure it meets your specs, then print the whole batch.

Prep/shipping time - I only have one printer, so turnaround time is going to be dependent on how many orders are waiting to be made. I will give you an idea of how long it will take at the time you place your order. If my printer is idle, I can have your order made and shipped the following business day.

My background - Yes, I am a new member here, but I have been DIYing car audio (and really anything car related) since the mid 1990s. I enjoy helping others with their installs, but since I don't have many friends in my local area who are in to car audio, this is my way of contributing to the scene. I am not doing this for a living. Most of my 3D printing has been for parts for my car (speaker grills and midrange baffles), or doodads for my wife's gnome tree or other little decorations.

I have been buying and selling on the internet and car-related forums since the mid 2000s. You can check my iTrader feedback at G35Driver.com and My305Z.com (pics are attached). You can also look me up on ebay under the username dtorc4, where I have been buying and selling for over 20 years. I am active in the Facebook groups Pure Fab, I Just Want Sound Quality, and Inexpensive Car Audio: Sound Quality, as well.

Payment - [email protected] - I prefer to use PayPal - this is to protect both of us. If you do not use PayPal but want to place an order, I can email you an invoice and you can order without needing a PayPal account. If you do not want to use PayPal, I can take payment through Venmo.

Manufacturer/Model Number:
Self / N/A

Price & Shipping Terms:
CONUS: $3 each shipped outside
Outside CONUS: $3 plus actual shipping cost

Minimum order of $20 - this covers my time, materials, and shipping costs

I am hoping to learn to design more complicated parts in the future - speaker grills, etc. In the meantime, if you have something in mind, let me know and I will see what I can do for you!

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

Wood Hardwood Fashion accessory Writing implement Pen Water Soil Sand Wood Shadow Games Food Indoor games and sports Art Clamp Hand Ceiling Finger Table Text Font Games Screenshot Web page Text Font Line Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
548 Posts
That’s very cool dude. I just made my rca’s but I didn’t make one for the signal wire yet. But why would there be extra wires? I’m using star quad and neutrik plugs and I just combine them together (blue to blue, white to white).

Also, can you 3D print speaker baffles at a cost that is on par with amazons? Do you have to design them yourself from the originals or is there a database you can take the plans from?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That’s very cool dude. I just made my rca’s but I didn’t make one for the signal wire yet. But why would there be extra wires? I’m using star quad and neutrik plugs and I just combine them together (blue to blue, white to white).

Also, can you 3D print speaker baffles at a cost that is on par with amazons? Do you have to design them yourself from the originals or is there a database you can take the plans from?
The guys that turned me onto this application are using small gauge wire going into the RCA, leaving a large gap in the opening. Whatever DSP they are using can take a balanced line signal into the RCA inputs.

If you're talking about the foam baffles that act as an enclosure, like this:

then no, I cannot print anything that large, or for that cheap. My print area is 8"L x 8"W x 10"H. I can print anything up to that size, but the cost would probably be 2-3x what the foam ones cost. The upside is that the 3D-printed enclosure would be more stiff than the foam is. I can make the side walls as thick as I want.

If you're talking about something like this:

then yes, I can do those easily. I designed these myself for my 3" midranges in my A-pillars. (Side note - I would recommend against a shape with flat edges like this if you're going to upholster it; it was a royal PITA to cover with headliner.)

I can also print speaker grills up to the dimensions I listed above. My 3D design knowledge is limited (Fusion 360), but I can do basic shapes. If you need something more complicated or find something online you like and can send me an .stl or .obj file, I would be happy to print them for you for a reasonable price.

I didn't finish trimming the white grill - instead, I bought some black ABS and reprinted it. The black grill on the left is glossy because I did an acetone bath on it. The black grill on the right is how it comes off the printer. These are for my CDT 6.7" woofers in the doors.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Oh of course, my signal wires are like 18 gauge - that makes sense. I just need two though haha. That A-pillar looks clean. Nice job man.

I’ll keep this in mind - good to know we’ve got custom parts that can be made here.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Welcome aboard Darrin!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts