DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these years ago and never used them. I bought two pair and put the other pair in my wife's TSX for about 2 years. Tweeters absolutely rock. Passive xovers absolutely rock. Mids are alright - not a ton of midbass, but clean and clear and great Danish build quality.

Click here for pics

I have sold the used set, so I don't have any out of box to photograph.

The tweeter is chambered somewhat deep, so it will not go in a mirror sail location without a lot of fab outwards. Dash locations with depth, kick panel pods, some doors OK - I think they go into an E36 door OK. It's actually a good idea for the E36 3-series factory locations due to the low xover point and the 5.25 mid. But audi OEM tweeter locations, or BMW E90 3-series are a problem, and I think E46 3-series OEM locations as well.

Check alpine's site for the manuals - lots of detail in there as I recall on xover set up and tweeter mounting HW. This passive has on-vs-off-axis options and is very tunable.

These particular ones were marketed by Alpine as a center channel kit - each box has one mid, one tweet, and one passive. IIRC, MSRP was $600 per set.

I will let these go for $500 shipped in the continental US.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Since Vifa and Scan are both AST brands I was being general, more so than I should have. Sorry about that.

azn, since you weighed in on the basis for the drivers, you mind speaking to the passive xover?

BTW, I have installed 2904/60000 before - these do look similar, but the Alpine version is smaller IIRC. Are you certain the specs are identical?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
The passive is very very flexible, i would venture to say its a passive/active xover. There are tons of adjustments, advanced for its time IMO. They were Alpine's reference line before the F1 Status were introduced IIRC

Im 99% they are the Alpine variants of the D2904/6000, pacparts even lists its replacement model number as D2904/610001 ;)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For what it's worth, it's in a MUCH more attractive housing and grille assembly, then :)

I do recall the midwoofer looking like a Vifa frame and surround.

I thought these were same time frame as F1, but since it was for center channel use, it was sold to mainline Alpine dealers where F1 was not. Regardless, there were not so many c/c installs and they ended up selling poorly, especially at the price.

·
Registered
273 Posts
They are indeed the SS D2904/6000-00. Well, very close anyway. Check out the two links. go to page 24 of the pdf.

http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SPX-F17T.PDF

The F13M has the same tweets as the F17T BTW.

ScanSpeak D2904/6000-00 28 mm Dome Tweeter, Neo Magnet, Grill from Madisound.

Yeah, and the mids are from the Vifa XT line.

If you happen to have an extra single tweet I'd like to take it off your hands, as I have only one that works and would love to get my hands on a second.;)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Vifa web site no longer lists any 130mm XT drivers on their website, btw.

These are not identical in appearance to off the shelf drivers. They might be identical in specification, I could not verify it at the time, because Alpine didn't publish full specs on the components.

In response to this and private inquiries - I don't have any of these outside of the kit themselves, and I'm not taking any parts out of the kits - complete only.

I will go ahead and take pics of one set out of box so everyone can see what we are talking about.

·
Registered
991 Posts
VP, the Alpine Version of the tweeter is speced not to have the outer flange & mounting holes, I don't think anyone spoke to that. therefore it is indeed much smaller in diameter & identical in depth & body diameter additionally that tweeter will play stupidly low, mine in the WRX are set @ 2.2khz.

The mid is actually very capable, just needs some balls behind it & a solid mounting. I am running these in 2 different cars & the kick from the 13m's in the rear doors of my WRX is impressive enough, I expaned my install to retain true 2-way in all 4 doors with fade.

The crossovers in this series are monsters, nearly the footprint of a standard magazine 8.5" x 11")!! I don't remember the exact wording in the manuals, but the 2-way crossover has something like 234 possible configurations & the F17T (3-way set) has upwards of 400!! that's just moving jumpers & adjustments around. The manuals are all available for free from www.alpine-usa.com....

If I didn't already have (5) of these & (2) full sets of SPX-F17T's I would get them just to round out the collection....

Great speaker set.

Rob

·
18,681 Posts
Just throwing this out there...

I could use the tweets myself. If someone here wants the mids and/or crossover maybe we can work something out? I had a set of the scan tweeters and had them fry when my bit one went on the fritz, so I'd like to try the alpines out.

Assuming, of course, that you (the OP) are okay with doing this?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just throwing this out there...

I could use the tweets myself. If someone here wants the mids and/or crossover maybe we can work something out? I had a set of the scan tweeters and had them fry when my bit one went on the fritz, so I'd like to try the alpines out.

Assuming, of course, that you (the OP) are okay with doing this?
I am OK with folks to coming to an agreement among themselves to divide up the contents, certainly.

I figure the only thing worse than selling the beautiful set NIB, is to break it up, and end up with a PARTIAL NIB set :) So given how Murphy's Law works, I will only sell the kit intact - but if you guys come up with a way to divvy it, more power, you know :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.