DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tweeterless seems to be trending more and more and I notice that most any appropriately sized speaker is typically designed as a wide band driver, with lower efficiency. Aside from the af gb25, why are there not many dedicated midrange drivers out there in this size? I have no need for my midrange to play all the way to the top (3way front), and expect a dedicated midrange that plays to say 6,000hz would increase efficiency, and have better sound signature than a speaker designed to play in place of a tweeter. I'm using the sb accustic 2.5 inch wideband at the moment, but there must be better options for the application. I have active crossovers and would be needing something to cover the 3-500 to ~ 6,000 hz range.

Are there any other 2-3" door friendly mids out there that would fit this bill other than the audiofrog?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Give the Morel ccwr 254 a try. Technically it's a wideband, but it sucks ass in the treble region. It plays with authority in the 350 to 400 Hz. Range. This speaker behaves more like a full ranger. It doesn't need to be as robust as the AF GB25. Most people need to turn the GB25 way down to match the level of the GB60. I even have to turn down the morel to match the output of the GB60, and that midbass has plenty of output.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
glad this is brought, i am very interested in the most neutral and natural sounding 3-4" full range out there

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Give the Morel ccwr 254 a try. Technically it's a wideband, but it sucks ass in the treble region. It plays with authority in the 350 to 400 Hz. Range. This speaker behaves more like a full ranger. It doesn't need to be as robust as the AF GB25. Most people need to turn the GB25 way down to match the level of the GB60. I even have to turn down the morel to match the output of the GB60, and that midbass has plenty of output.
The audible physics, illusion audio, and morel are all still wide range drivers though with efficiency around the 82 to 84 dB mark. The morel is tempting though, and was my front runner to try before coming here.

Is there nothing else out there similar to the audiofrog with efficiency closer to 90?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The audible physics, illusion audio, and morel are all still wide range drivers though with efficiency around the 82 to 84 dB mark. The morel is tempting though, and was my front runner to try before coming here.

Is there nothing else out there similar to the audiofrog with efficiency closer to 90?
Would 91 dB 1w/1m work? If so, take a look at the FaitalPRO 3FE22 (Neodymium) or the 3FE25 (ferrite).

·
Registered
18,471 Posts
why are there not many dedicated midrange drivers out there in this size?

Are there any other 2-3" door friendly mids out there that would fit this bill other than the audiofrog?
there are plenty of dedicated midranges out there in the 2-4" size. the problem is, youre looking in the wrong places. I'm betting your mostly looking at raw drivers? the reason why dedicated midranges aren't so popular as raw drivers is because the raw driver market has a MUCH higher need for widebands as opposed to something that can only play 300-8k. Think about it.. portable speakers, center channels, tv's, desktop speakers, the list goes on. Example: I'm friends with a product manager at parts express. he recently told me they sold an unfathomable amount of Dayton widebands to the company that makes the new coke (maybe Pepsi) vending machines. A dedicated midrange is just not a big market in these categories. Where you need to look is car audio specific drivers, like the GB25 you mentioned. In car audio, they know we will usually have a tweeter, and need that extra sensitivity/power handling which is why dedicated midranges are more popular. Audiofrog, Morel, Focal, Dynaudio, Audio Development, Sinfoni, Illusion Audio, JL Audio, Hertz, Audison, and more.

Reactions: chithead

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I'm using a pair of Infinity Kappa 20MX, I like them, they can get a little harsh though at higher volumes but easily sorted. Per Infinity they are good from 550Hz to 7KHz and 90dB efficiency. You can get a pair authorized for a little over $100. I had been looking at the GB25, but could not really justify the cost personally, looked at the Morels mentioned above and the Infinity, decided to go with the Infinity and am happy with them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why are there not many dedicated midrange drivers out there in this size?

there are plenty of dedicated midranges out there in the 2-4" size. the problem is, youre looking in the wrong places. I'm betting your mostly looking at raw drivers? the reason why dedicated midranges aren't so popular as raw drivers is because the raw driver market has a MUCH higher need for widebands as opposed to something that can only play 300-8k. Where you need to look, is car audio specific drivers, like the GB25 you mentioned. Audiofrog, Morel, Focal, Dynaudio, Audio Development, Sinfoni, Illusion Audio, JL Audio, Hertz, Audison, and more.
Any specific speaker recommendations from these companies? The audiofrog is looking promising, I really need something that is less than 3", so that eliminates the jl c7, dyn offerings, and a few others I checked out. Is there a morel offering besides the ccwr25 that you'd recommend? The ccwr from them is marketed as a wideband as well.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Try to track down some KEF pointsource speakers in the size you need. That's what I'd use, you can probably get the size you need from some computer speakers, or a soundbar, 2" might be a stretch, but 3" might be doable.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
In the 2-3" range I don't think the gb25 can be touched. 3" and over there are tons of great car audio options. The gb25 is so popular on here because it seems to punch above its weight class at least in my opinion. 4mm of Klippel verified excursion ain't nothin to sneeze at.

Reactions: LaserSVT
1 - 20 of 35 Posts