DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full system $2300 budget - raw drivers, DPS hi-fi with 15" MTX sub - Help pick mains

I'm working on a system with a $2300 budget for a 2013 WRX hatchback.

So far the only thing i've purchased is a MTX 7515-44 sub. I'm planning on using a sealed enclosure.

I'm looking to use raw drivers and a DSP. I also want a digital media player with apple carplay.

The main thing I don't know about are what drivers to use and also amp suggestions. I need enough SPL to compete with the 15" MTX sub. I also want HI-FI and good sound a lower volume. I'm looking to make a complete bill of materials including all details such as fuse holders, rca's, power wire so if you guys have any suggestions for any of the components that would be great.

I'm considering not using rear door speakers at all since a 4 channel amp won't have enough channels if I use the DSP from what I understand. Would it be ok without rears?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Full system $2300 budget - raw drivers, DPS hi-fi with 15" MTX sub - Help pick ma

haha yeah i'm not sure what to expect, hopefully i will get a nice bass massage from it. Looking from some deep low end without the vented box size. I need to find some main drivers which will go with it now...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: Full system $2300 budget - raw drivers, DPS hi-fi with 15" MTX sub - Help pick ma

haha yeah i'm not sure what to expect, hopefully i will get a nice bass massage from it. Looking from some deep low end without the vented box size. I need to find some main drivers which will go with it now...
for most that will be plenty of bass, but don't try to enter any spl competitions, that is not an spl setup

·
Registered
4,210 Posts

no where did he say it was an spl set up or competing was in the cards..all he said was he wants front speakers that will keep up with a single 15 sealed.

nvx jad 800.4 and 1200.1 amps are great value for the money.

sb acoustics 17 nrx would make a great front midbass.

sb acoustics sb 29rdc tweeter if you can fit it would make an excellent versital tweeter that will play low enough to meet a low door mounted mid.

keep rear speakers stock, run em off the radio, something like a pioneer 4100 nex and Dayton dsp unit to control it all would be great. or find a used helix dsp v1 ..got 1 off craigslist for $200 working so deals are out there.

Reactions: Ba$$$

·
Registered
7,739 Posts

Getting fronts that will "compete with a 15 MTX" is easy. You don't have to max out the sub's output. In fact, I doubt most on here do unless they've purposely matched it that way. Having more "rig for the gig" especially on the bottom end is a good thing.... allows room for response correction before running out of excursion. Just pick some solid fronts that will produce what the 15" can't which means at least down to 80hz and you'll be fine once you start tuning. Lycancatt has suggested some great drivers and amps to start with. With that budget, you have a lot of choices.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts

If/When the car dies then the installation will not be recoverable, whereas the equipment may be.

There is nothing preventing you from doing the deadening and the sub and then slowly doing working the rest over time.

What is it about the stock system that is not good?
(Mrs. has a Subi...)
It seems loud enough to me, so I am wondering if you really need the speakers to keep up with the sub?... Or just tone down the sub volume?

Maybe some sound treatment work would help, but it is totally unknown to me if that would be needed.

You could even keep the factory speakers and do your DSP and then at some later date change those speakers out... Or do the DSP and amp(s), and keep the speakers?

·
Registered
254 Posts

satori mids plus scans small format

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

If/When the car dies then the installation will not be recoverable, whereas the equipment may be.

There is nothing preventing you from doing the deadening and the sub and then slowly doing working the rest over time.

What is it about the stock system that is not good?
(Mrs. has a Subi...)
It seems loud enough to me, so I am wondering if you really need the speakers to keep up with the sub?... Or just tone down the sub volume?

Maybe some sound treatment work would help, but it is totally unknown to me if that would be needed.

You could even keep the factory speakers and do your DSP and then at some later date change those speakers out... Or do the DSP and amp(s), and keep the speakers?
I find the stock Subi has a ton of rattle in the panels, the stock system is okay... but not very hi-fi at all. Its mediocre at best. I'm looking for something much more crisp and tight. I also find the stock bluetooth doesn't work very well with iphone either. Bluetooth hands free calling apparently makes me sound like i'm in a fish bowl. lol

The sound treatment is a lot of work and added weight but its something that I could do over time. I think it would defiantly be worth it, lots of road noise to in the Subi's.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

I can vouch for the SB29 tweeter and SB17 midwoofer. I own both and they sound excellent. The Pioneer D8604 and Infinity K1000 are good choices for amplifiers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Okay I did some research. I can modify my stock tweeter grills to hold the SB29's like this:
forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2393461

Everything i've read about the nvx jad 800.4 seems really good. I wonder how it compares to the JL 600/4 in terms of sound quality.

It looks like the jad 1200.1's are backordered right now.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

I bought into the NVX amplifier hype and purchased thier MPV4 and 1 series micro amplifiers. I’m not impressed with thier quality or sound or power output as they claim. Maybe thier Jade series is much better, idk. I am however impressed with every Pioneer amplifier I have used such as the PRS D4200F, D9500F, and D8604. Definely not likely to go wrong with Pioneer and they sound great.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts

I find the stock Subi has a ton of rattle in the panels, the stock system is okay... but not very hi-fi at all. Its mediocre at best. I'm looking for something much more crisp and tight. I also find the stock bluetooth doesn't work very well with iphone either. Bluetooth hands free calling apparently makes me sound like i'm in a fish bowl. lol

The sound treatment is a lot of work and added weight but its something that I could do over time. I think it would defiantly be worth it, lots of road noise to in the Subi's.
Sound like maybe the sound treatment should come first?
And a headunit (for the bluetoth), and then I am not sure...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

So i'm looking at the connection from the digital media headunit to the DSP. It seems a cleaner signal path would be to have a SDIF connection vs RCA. This way you aren't converting to analog in the head unit, sending it to the DSP on RCA, then converting to digital and then back to analog again to send to the amp.

Should be Digital Media->SPDIF->DSP-(D/A)>RCA->AMP

With the Pioneer i'm considering it out be:
MVH1400NEX-(D/A)>RCA-(A/D)>DSP-(D/A)>RCA->AMP

It seems hard to find options for double DIN with touchscreen and apple car play that have any digital outputs. Seems odd that a digital media player wouldn't have that.

Any one know of any good head units that can do this?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts

clarion makes the 806? 807? new for this year but may be quite pricy, has digital out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts