DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

It has been stated that the vertical dispersion created by the LCY's is better than other ribbon tweeters. That helps in a car application but in a home audio application where one can raise the speakers so they are at ear level you do not gain but the strong vertical dispersion.

Let's say now that in our car or in our house we need a wide horizontal dispersion maybe for a wide soundstage or home theatre purposes.

What are the pros and cons of rotating the tweeter 90 degrees and playing it that way? Has anyone done this before?

Does this make any sense? : )

·
Registered
242 Posts
hmm.. The lcy have excellent horizontal dispersion. You can basically aim them where you please horizonatally. The lcy have better verticle dispersion compared to other ribbons, ( which doens't mean anything since most ribbons don't have good verticle dispersion ) but not excellent/ good by any means when compared to conventional tweeters.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have read about people with Magnepans turning them 90 degrees so the "tweeter" is across the top. There is nothing wrong with turning a speaker 90 degrees or 180 degrees to fit your application.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
It sounds extremely bright and agressive when turned on it's side.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Turning it on it's side changes the frequency response at the listening position.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Npdang, do you know of anyone that has used any of the LCY ribbons in a home audio application with great results? I read the reviews on this website but anyone else you know of that has tried them for the home? Near the end of the year I am thinking of using the 130 with either a Seas Excel 7" or Accuton 7".

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone know what LCY's website is? How do you choose between the 108, 110, and 130?

Anyone ever use the LCY-100K?

·
Registered
242 Posts
tf1216 said:
Anyone know what LCY's website is? How do you choose between the 108, 110, and 130?

Anyone ever use the LCY-100K?
they're all the same but with a difference face plate. More bling the higher you go.

What do you mean if anyone has used the lcy for home audio? The Lcy's are home audio drivers.. not car audio drivers. There are more technology available in the pro /home audio world than mobile so some choose to venture out.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, I should have asked if anyone has had experience using the LCY's for their home audio system. My bad!

So all the models are the same except the face plate gets larger and larger from the 108 to the 130?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've only owned the 130 so don't know how much bigger the 130's are or if they're bigger at all. Just go to e-speakers.com CLick on the buy it button and a picture diagram will appear. Just check out the stats.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
the actual foil ribbon size is the same in the 110, 130, and 108 (dont know about the super tweeter version though)

the face plate does affect the dispersion pattern

id assume the larger face plate is the most wide in this regard

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys, I tried going to E-speakers and www.lcy.com.hk and I couldn't find graphs off all three ribbon tweeters. Is the only difference really the dispersion patterns due to the faceplate?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts