DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im doing big three. i have 2007 f150, the alt to batt+,should there be a fuse inline ,since the factory has fuse links?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would, but your going to need a bigger fuse. What size wire are you using and that will give you an idea on the fuse size

·
Registered
587 Posts
im doing big three. i have 2007 f150, the alt to batt+,should there be a fuse inline ,since the factory has fuse links?
YES! You don't want electrons having an unrestricted path back to alternator, unless you like fires. I don't know enough about your car to say what fuse to use, but I know with certainty that you should use one.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Why did you feel that the stock wire was insufficient?

But to answer your question... YES...ANY wire coming off of the positive terminal of hte battery should be protected within a reasonable distance of the battery.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
this is for the alternator + wire, not the amp supply
It doesn't matter if the wire goes to a nuclear reactor or to a light bulb, you fuse the WIRE, not the device it supplies. This keeps a cut/shorted/overcurrented wire from becoming a giant wick.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn't matter if the wire goes to a nuclear reactor or to a light bulb, you fuse the WIRE, not the device it supplies. This keeps a cut/shorted/overcurrented wire from becoming a giant wick.
infinity, i understand it needs a fuse,,,my question is what size should it be???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????since it is going to the alternator,,my battery is a 1800hc kinetic,, i am upgrading the grounds,and was told to upgrade the factory cable from the alternator to battery

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
This is from the first post in query to your question....exactly what don't you understand in this table ?

Wire Gauge Recommended
Maximum Fuse Size
00 awg 400 amps
0 awg 325 amps
1 awg 250 amps
2 awg 200 amps
4 awg 125 amps
6 awg 80 amps
8 awg 50 amps
10 awg 30 amps
12 awg 20 amps
14 awg 15 amps
16 awg 7.5 amps
These are the recommended maximum fuse ratings for the corresponding wire size. Using a smaller fuse than what's recommended here will be perfectly safe.

Is this confusing to you :confused:

Can we spell it out clearer ?

Come on guys throw this dog a bone :p [ place your hand in mine.....and here we go !!!!!! ]:laugh:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is from the first post in query to your question....exactly what don't you understand in this table ?

Wire Gauge Recommended
Maximum Fuse Size
00 awg 400 amps
0 awg 325 amps
1 awg 250 amps
2 awg 200 amps
4 awg 125 amps
6 awg 80 amps
8 awg 50 amps
10 awg 30 amps
12 awg 20 amps
14 awg 15 amps
16 awg 7.5 amps
These are the recommended maximum fuse ratings for the corresponding wire size. Using a smaller fuse than what's recommended here will be perfectly safe.

Is this confusing to you :confused:

Can we spell it out clearer ?

Come on guys throw this dog a bone :p [ place your hand in mine.....and here we go !!!!!! ]:laugh:
thanks for the chart . that chart wasnt listed in your first response,your link didnt direct me to that chart, should i hold your hand? no need to get smart, i dont think u would insult me in person, so dont be a keyboard tuff guy...... anyhow thanks for the response:listenup::z:

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Everything you'll be asking for the next year is addressed at a site called Basic Car Audio and Electronics [ It is in the first link ].

Sorry for being an ******* :blush:

One guy here thinks the size of the wire and how many amperes of current can safely travel down it is connected to the length of it :confused:

How many more cars could we get across the track at a car race if the track was shorter ? 12 abreast....1,000 side by side for the finish ?

Make the wires on a welder shorter and smaller and watch what melts first the stick you're welding with or the wires because they can only handle so much current {PERIOD}

The water analogy is very common for relating electricty to something easier to understand [ used extensively at BCAE ].

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
thanks for the chart . that chart wasnt listed in your first response,your link didnt direct me to that chart, should i hold your hand? no need to get smart, i dont think u would insult me in person, so dont be a keyboard tuff guy...... anyhow thanks for the response:listenup::z:
Love the visuals in your post ^^^^:D

Once again, I'm sorry for living up to my name here [ I'm taking something out on you that i shouldn't be }:(

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks,i respect your knowledge, that is why i ask, i have a standard system, 2 jl amps ,2 tens under seat, some door speakers5x7 jl. im just tyring to do everything right the first time,especially the wiring, thats why i redid the grounds, the big three,, im trying to avoid doing an alternator, i should have figured that the fuse should be the size for max current of wire, dum on my part..i run electric all the time at work and the idea is the same

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everything you'll be asking for the next year is addressed at a site called Basic Car Audio and Electronics [ It is in the first link ].

Sorry for being an ******* :blush:

One guy here thinks the size of the wire and how many amperes of current can safely travel down it is connected to the length of it :confused:

How many more cars could we get across the track at a car race if the track was shorter ? 12 abreast....1,000 side by side for the finish ?

Make the wires on a welder shorter and smaller and watch what melts first the stick you're welding with or the wires because they can only handle so much current {PERIOD}

The water analogy is very common for relating electricty to something easier to understand [ used extensively at BCAE ].
i see what u mean, besides, length is only related to resistance anyway

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
thanks,i respect your knowledge, that is why i ask, i have a standard system, 2 jl amps ,2 tens under seat, some door speakers5x7 jl. im just tyring to do everything right the first time,especially the wiring, thats why i redid the grounds, the big three,, im trying to avoid doing an alternator, i should have figured that the fuse should be the size for max current of wire, dum on my part..i run electric all the time at work and the idea is the same
You most likely don't need to upgrade that wire. Some people will disagree, but as long as you upgrade your grounds you will be ok. The alternator wont produce any more current than it did before, so why would you need to upgrade that wire? If you put in a new, ho alternator than sure, you'll want to upgrade that wire. But I personally don't think upgrading the alt to pos wire will do anything.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You most likely don't need to upgrade that wire. Some people will disagree, but as long as you upgrade your grounds you will be ok. The alternator wont produce any more current than it did before, so why would you need to upgrade that wire? If you put in a new, ho alternator than sure, you'll want to upgrade that wire. But I personally don't think upgrading the alt to pos wire will do anything.
cool, i thought about that as well, so i will wait and see how this does as it is

1 - 20 of 29 Posts