DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you like to see in the future of car audio?
I would personally like to see a pair of 1" sound transducers that would recreate concert level sound covering 20 to 20k and sound life like doing it. Efficency of about 100db 1w/1m would be acceptable too. I would mount them in my sail panels and be done. Impossible? Is it? It certainly wouldn't be a cone or dome as we know it now.

What is your futuristic wish list?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would like to see once great brands like SS, HF, Orion (*and on, and on) to get their self respect back by telling China to F-Off and start building a quality product again...even if it meant loosing some profits off the top. ****ty amps built by 11 year old girls working 14 hour days for pennies while the company pollutes the **** out of everything is bad for everyone....period.

~JH

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I would like to see once great brands like SS, HF, Orion (*and on, and on) to get their self respect back by telling China to F-Off and start building a quality product again...even if it meant loosing some profits off the top. ****ty amps built by 11 year old girls working 14 hour days for pennies while the company pollutes the **** out of everything is bad for everyone....period.

~JH
Don't blame China. Don't blame the manufacturers. Blame the American consumer.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
The most obvious trend is that the market for stereos will be getting thinner and thinner, and most stereo decks will have very little true SQ oriented features, like bandpass active crossovers or parametric equalizer. Even today if you ask about active capable deck, a typical reply ends up referring to out of production units. This is because the times when cars come without a stereo or borderline **** stereo deck are gone. Even bottom of the market cars, includes stereo with CD/USB/phone connectivity, so for most people there is no reason to change the stereo.

The second trend is that the market for aftermarket factory integration processors will continue to grow since they are the primary means for integrating aftermarket amplifiers, speakers, and other equipment.

Amplifiers: hope to see more amps with parametric bass boost. I can see more of mid-to-high-quality mass market brands switching 100% to class D amplification like Alpine did.

Speakers and subwoofers: over 90% of all sold speakers will remain utter crap, as usual.

·
Registered
546 Posts
What I would like to see and what reality will bring is two different things. I will add to the OP that I would like those 1" tranducers to play FLAT from 20-20KHz. But we know that something for the sci-fi films. But I would really like to see some true class A amps on the market. In reality, I expect products to be even cheaper, with more lights and features of no real use and less SQ orientated features.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Quality over convenience
Features over price point
No internet trading or a proper RRP that allows small companies with knowledge compete against big companies with buying power but no passion

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I would like to see and what reality will bring is two different things. I will add to the OP that I would like those 1" tranducers to play FLAT from 20-20KHz. But we know that something for the sci-fi films. But I would really like to see some true class A amps on the market. In reality, I expect products to be even cheaper, with more lights and features of no real use and less SQ orientated features.
Admittedly it's very sci-fi and seemingly unrealistic, but many of todays technologies were sci-fi 15-20 years ago. Streaming video to our phones, face to face video conversations via our phones, nearly ever song ever recorded floating in the clouds ready for down load to a devide the size (or smaller) than a stick of gum.
Let's think way outside the box guys, think sci-fi! What would you really like?
We've already seen plasma tweeters, why not a (not yet thought of) technology to recreate the entire audio spectrum? (and for the record, I truly believe we'll see this happen some day)

·
Registered
372 Posts
How about frickin' digital input/output cables like hdmi! I know there are a few, but come on man, RCA's have been around since Edison!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Why bother with cables at all? bluetooth/wifi could send the signals
The connection is not consistent enough to support a consistent and quality stream. Bluetooth HU sometimes just drop the phone from its connection for no reason. USB is a universal system for input/output for computers and electronic devices and supports very high transfer rates. Additionally HDMI is doing for home audio/video what USB did for computers/electronic devices.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

Now, this is a great idea. Installing an amp would mean mount it, grab power from somewhere and you're done! No more ripping apart every panel in the car, prying up carpet to run the rcas, power, ground and remote. The latter three would be interesting to see how they get done. I really think if someone could pull that off tho they would have a gold mine on their hands. If it wasn't so much work to install an amp for the ordinary Joe, I really think more people owuld jump into car audio but when it costs sometimes more than the product to install it - not so much. I, of course, have no problem ripping apart my vehicle - I kind of enjoy it:D. It does suck when some of the panels don't want to go back on right:eek:

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
wireless: amps, speakers, headunits would be nice for a start.

By that I mean "NO WIRES" at all. No power wires or anything that has to do with wires.

·
18,605 Posts
How about a halfway decent DSP with quality features found in pro audio units 10+ years ago.

Seriously, when are we going to get something with adjustability like you find in Rane and DBX units. Ie: parametric that has more than 5 bands, p AND g EQ, phase control in degree increments, hi/low shelf filters, etc. a few companies have one or two of these but not all of them. Helix is the closest to it.

Whoopie! A 31 band EQ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about a voice command processor. Speak and it does what you say real time while the music is playing. "3db gain at 40hz, "tighten up the midbass", "give me typical tube amp sound". Preset venues from around the world i.e. stadiums, famous jazz clubs, cathedrals, radio city music hall! And of course the processor would have a learning platform. It would know how I typically like to hear rock vs. jazz vs. reggage and would reconfigure itself for the music type. I want to hear BB King in a famous Beal Street club or U2 in a stadium. It would configure TOOL to have proAudio hit you in the chest midbass and jazz would be liquid smooth and if I wanted something different, I would just say what I wanted...
"give me typical paper cone tone or poly or aluminum..." Give me Elvis in a recording studio...
"widen the sound stage and move the singer back 3 feet"

How about a clear coating on the windows that becomes the speakers? Surround sound???
And of course every interior panel would be sound absorbing whether hard or soft. Even the glass would absorb sound.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I recently posted this on the "Simple Head Unit" post:

WLDock said:
The electronics device industry is funny. The iPod and iPhone set the world on fire because of the ease of use and clean design. Car audio electronics on the other hand has an ongoing trend of crazy designs with several features buried deep within menu after menu and are more complex to use. However, a car radio is a device you operate while driving...what is wrong with this picture?

If I were to start a new car audio head unit company today I would make a deck with a clean design, iPod like driver friendly interface, and high fidelity. I would offer an AUDIOPHILE series and a BEATS Audio series. I would change the game overnight!!! Just imagine if JL Audio or Alpine would release something like this at the 2012 CES? It would be the next best thing in this modern car audio era since mini full range class D amps!
I think a modern deck like this was be big in the OEM world as well as the aftermarket segment. I was just showing my Mom and Sister how to use the Bluetooth system in my Mom's new Dodge Journey. The touchscreen interface is not bad but it could be better. The OEM systems are offering more...but they can use some more refinement.

·
Registered
183 Posts
As we have seen recently, more and more companies are producing the all in one processor/preamp/amp systems like H800, MS-8, Bit-One. And as have been complained about time and time again the lack of features on newer HU's. I think this is because the current generation vehicles that have very integrated systems that may even interface with diagnostics and A/C. Therefore the need to replace the HU is becoming less and less necessary. Also comaines are making the audio systems harder to change out with built in amps and such. There really isn't any need to change out the HU in newer cars, but I would love to start seeing companies actually offer a true premium system that is capable of functional DSP, equalization and such. However it seems that for current gen vehicles, the MS-8 with a change in speakers and an added sub woofer seems to be the perfect start. You could add external amps afterward to boost the power.

·
Registered
112 Posts
How about a halfway decent DSP with quality features found in pro audio units 10+ years ago.

Seriously, when are we going to get something with adjustability like you find in Rane and DBX units. Ie: parametric that has more than 5 bands, p AND g EQ, phase control in degree increments, hi/low shelf filters, etc. a few companies have one or two of these but not all of them. Helix is the closest to it.

Whoopie! A 31 band EQ! :rolleyes:
Hear, hear!

With so many manufacturers failing to deliver what are simple things in today's age, it really is a wonder someone doesn't just pull finger and wipe the floor with the rest.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts