DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had this guy come in and he was working on the door panels of his G35. He wanted to put some speakers in the doors mounted through the door panel. After talking a bit and reassessing what his goals were with the project, we decided on a different set of speakers and a slightly different approach to the custom work.
We decided on the Hybrid Audio L8V2 8.5" drivers for the midbass and the L3V2s for the high frequencies. The L3V2 plays up to 16k well, so we could keep this an active 2 way system using a 5 channel amp. The mids were pretty big to fit in these door panels, so the door panel needed to change shape a bit.
We started the system with an Audison Bit Ten D (Temporarily running off a Sony GS radio) so we could take advantage of the time alignment, crossovers, EQ and digital out for the Voce 5.1k amplifier.
Here's the build:

This is the L8V2. I'm visualizing how the hell it's going to fit there. He wanted the car to look natural, like things belonged there.

Added some Dynamat. Big drivers need good baffles and solid doors.

The door panel cut to allow for some shaping. I glassed the metal side with the base of the baffle to lock in positioning in relation to the door panel. I think the tape in the glass adds a nice touch....just kidding.

Filled with foam, sanded down and fiberglassed over. You can see the other panel with bondo in the background.

I got a hold of some Carbon XT from Sonus of Clarksville. This was my first time using it and it worked out pretty well. It stayed where it needed to and wasn't to bad on the sanding. Basically I just molded up the rings for the L3V2s directly where it needed to go.

Some sanding later and a bit of primer.

Flock in a box! Following Bing's example and getting more into this flocking thing. Results are pretty good! Just not so sure I should be breathing this stuff in. Respirator next time.

Mock up of the whole door panel. It actually stayed like this for a few months as the owner of the car is in the military. He took it to my upholsterer later and it turned out amazing.

After the rings were painted and everything mounted up, this is the foot view. I took some teaser pics like these with my phone, and haven't had the car back for proper full door shots. I'll put them as soon as I can.

The amp was mounted in the trunk so you can see it when you fold the seat down. We initially weren't going to do anything cosmetic being that a trunk buildout is in the future, but I couldn't help myself. The Voce has such cool lines on it I figured why not.

The amp mounted and ready for some cosmetic work.

Finished and mounted. I like doing carpet/vinyl combinations. Easy and pretty!

Closeup of my favorite amp.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Nice work. Fyi, the doors leak INSIDE big time in heavy rain. My g35 and my g37 both leaked. Protect the speakers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Approximately how much does something like a door build cost?
Hard to say being that the upholstery was done by another shop. I think we had about a week total in the doors. When you do something aggressive like this the labor rate seems to drop. Package deals you know?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Love how it finally turned out Dan, I saw some of the building stages and very impressed with work that the guys at Soundscape do. Even the work on my car, which didnt last too long unfortunately.

Sooner or later, hopefully they will be working on my car again

1 - 20 of 24 Posts