DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 G35. I am on the quest for midbass. Right now I have rainbow germaniums. The 6.5 is in the door, which is deadened and sealed well.

I am looking to add an 8 or a 6.5 dedicated mid bass.

The problems are where to put it, which one to put where and which to use.

I am leaning towards the rainbow 8s but I am open to suggestions.

Also any thoughts on a center channel? I was thinking a 2in wide band where the clock goes would be interesting.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
unless you have a processor to give you a real center channel, I wouldnt bother with it.

will your rainbow 8s fit in the stock 6.5 location? are you open to customization?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 8s can fit in the door with little modification.

I am fully open to custom work.

I am running active with a pxa h700

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if they will fit, then go for the 8" in the doors and put mid in the kick panel or make custom glassed a-pillars for mid/tweet

HCLD would go very well with those 8" if they are decently efficient. what is the 1w/1m rating?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The a pillar/kick pods are my main dilemma. If I go with kicks i can use the 6.5 germanium as a mid range, or would getting a smaller mid range and moving it and the tweets to the a pillar be better?

If I go with the a pillar set up, which mid range/ mid bass would compliment a cal25 tweeter?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
that is a tough one, I will admit it, lol. I personally dont like a-pillar setups, so I wuold go with the kickpanel idea, putting your 6.5" and tweeters in the kicks.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I had profi plugs and cal26's if the kick of my silverado, Profi kicks in the doors.
I was missing a lot of on midrange as it was being eaten up by my body and center console. I'm now trying 4"vandys with the cal26 in the a-pillar.
In the pillar I've noticed better stage height, obviously lol, and better midrange detail. However my stage width has suffered in my set up, but it's a good trade off for me.
If you decided to do pillar, I'd go with either the profi or vandy 4. Profi is paper cone, while the vandy is metal... Only difference between them.
I loved my profi plug in the kick, if only I didn't loose so much detail with me in the way. Lol
Or, you could move the germs to the kick with the 8's... That'd be very nice as well.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am unsure of the specs on the 8s.

Right now the tweets are in the sail panels/ factory location. If I go with kicks I would probably leave the tweets where they are.

I do need to raise my front stage, that's why I am curious about a center channel.

I would really love to listen to both setups but I live in bfe, esva.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
J Collin, see I would love to hear your setup. The you tube videos of people showing off their sound systems don't help much. LOL....

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I hear ya man. Lol YouTube is Only good for how it looks.... Not how it sounds.
Correction though... My tweets are in the sails and mid in the pillar. Like you, my tweet was already there from previous install.
At one time, I had mid and tweet in the kick, ambient tweet in the sails to raise stage height. One constant was the mb in the door. Lol

Still trying to dial the pillar in. It's only been there a week or so. But I'm really liking it so far.:)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am thinking the midbass would do best in the door, but would they do better in the kicks enclosed? Then should it be ported?

This is my first install, all of the work has been done by my wife and I.

Or I could put some canton bookshelf speakers on the hood and have a windshield made......j/k

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Yeah I used the CDT crossover.... Got a little hot during gain setting. Lol there went that idea. Lol

Most of rainbows speakers are optimized for Ib/door install. So if you were to go in the kick, Look at venting the enclosure to the fender or something.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I'm kinda hoping you decide to run the 8's... Not much info out there about them, and would love to hear your impression on them.:)

What I did manage to find on them, people spoke pretty highly of them. I like that they are a pretty shallow driver, making install much easier in a door.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for the half post, my phone had a hiccup. I am playing with so many ideas. Do the kick panels interfere with leg room? I have stick, so space is limited.

I have 2 x jl10w6v2, right now they are in a generic attend sealed enclosure. I want to get or build something that fits a little better. I have an Ipaul dm2000 running them. Anyone know what sized sealed box would make the sound the beset with 500w each?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the half post, my phone had a hiccup. I am playing with so many ideas. Do the kick panels interfere with leg room? I have stick, so space is limited.

I have 2 x jl10w6v2, right now they are in a generic attend sealed enclosure. I want to get or build something that fits a little better. I have an Ipaul dm2000 running them. Anyone know what sized sealed box would make the sound the beset with 500w each?

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Yeah with a manual, it'll be a tight fit for a kick install. I'm a big guy, and not much room in my trucks kicks for anything large.
The w6 is very well covered here, search out some build logs and see what people liked. Short of modeling it, that's the only way to find out. Manufacturer's specs aren't always the best, depending on the outcome your looking for.
But it will give you a place to start.

If you like the output and response of the box you have, you can always build one to mimic it, but to fit your vehicle better. Then you will have an idea how it will sound, and have better build quality.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just read the w6's like .85

Don aka 6speedcoupe, says the rainbow 8s are great. Don has yet to be wrong. When I get them in I will give my impressions.

I just have to make a decision and do the work. I think I am going to build a kick pod for the 6.5. I have never done fiberglass. I will take some pics when I build it.

For some reason things you do yourself always perform better. That is once you get it right...

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Yeah Don is a great guy, and knows his stuff. If he says they're good, they are. Lol
Look forward to your progress and build log. Best of luck with it! Nothing better than doing it yourself, and learning as you go...

1 - 20 of 85 Posts