DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Question relates very closely to the DIY tutorial on gain setting, and i read over it plenty, i just want to be sure about this before i try anything and mess something up. My question comes since i have just installed my Brand new Eclipse 8053, and it has 8V outputs Max, BTW this was my first ever HU install and it went smooth as silk, not a single problem at all, Very happy with myself. My amps IIRC can only take 4V, so how would i set the gains accordingly, and where would i set the volume at on the deck to be safely in the range that i would not clip the speakers as well as not be over the 4V max inputs on the amps. I know there are several ways, one being oscillascope, that i don't have, and the other using the I=V/R formula, as seen in Dangs DIY Thread. So how would i work out this problem more specifically. My speakers are all 8ohm, and amps put out 82rms x4 @ 4ohms, and 500x1 @ 4ohms.

So suggestions or whatnot to set the gains perfect for the HU.

Also if anyone reads this that has a 8053, in pro mode is there anyway to change the volume or Level of each output, I know there is a sub control Or nonfader level adjuster, but i wonder if there is a Hi or Mid level adjuster as well, so that i could effectively level match the amps from the HU and get the flat sound that i should be getting. Or they will be completely off, because of speaker sensativity levels.

BTW the 8053 rocks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Turn the gains on ALL your amps all the way down (counter clockwise). Then turn the volume on your headunit up almost all the way, or where you are most comfortable taking it to "the max" as a daily driver. Then slowly increase the gains on each amp/channel until they begin to distort and then back them off just a bit. This will give you your max volume settings on all your amps relative to your headunit's signal voltage. From here you can match your amps levels by backing each amp's gains off individually and listening to each new overall setup to make sure your gains are set by ear. If you have access to an RTA then you will be able to match all of your speaker's responses to one another. Matching by ear is good enough for most listeners, depending on the processing setup and speaker selection.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot Lv, tommorrow i'll be working on it again so i'll try this. The 8053 goes up to 80 IIRC and right now 40-50 is pretty loud with quick gain settings, so hopefully it should be lower tommorrow.

Anyone know about the Level matching from the HU?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Better yet...

Buy a DMM (Digtial Multimeter) and use a 0db 1khz track to see the range of output you get as you turn up the volume on your deck...

If you want to take it a step further, buy a cheap radioshack amplified speaker & use it to hear at what volume level your outputs audibly clip the signal... http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=277-1008

Let me know if you need help with getting the 0db track.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually i need help with a 0db track, i do have sine waves, there all under 100hz though, and i'm not sure what level they are either. Whats the difference b/w a normal sine wave and a 0db........just a little knowledge would help. Also not sure but the 1khz 0db wouldn't help with the sub would it?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Email me...

For subs I use a 40hz, Midbass 100hz, Mids 1khz, Highs 8khz all 0db tracks... tracks recorded above 0db have a good chance of already being clipped.

I use a 0db to start & then adjust the gains with referrence material (competition disks or other favs) to adjust the gains again as needed to level match the output of all my speakers by ear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As long as you set them carefully it should be fine. My subwoofer amp only takes 1.5v max and my head unit puts out 5v (well thats what they say it puts out) and I'm able to run it no problem with no audible distortion. Just had to turn the gain all the way down and then use the head units subwoofer level control as the gain. For other speakers it would work pretty much the same way, just start it out at minimum and turn the head unit up to where the volume suits you, if you're running full active your tweeter amp might have to stay at full minimum gain. Then set the other gains to match the tweeter amps level. This might not be the case but I'm pretty sure your tweeter amp with that much voltage coming in, a fairly low comparative max voltage, and the efficiency of the tweeters that it won't have to be turned up at all; with the exception of having a relatively low volume level on the head unit as your max.

·
Registered
530 Posts
hey demon good to hear you got your 8053,the levels for each channel can be tuned through the time delay portion,in pro mode, under sound, levels can only be decreased for each ch of coarse,it took me a bit to find it too.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. Just saw that as you were mentioning about the TA level matching area. I saw it earlier today but didn't think about it being that. So would The Low L and R also be a form of level matching for the sub?

Got my Tempest in the car today, sounds awesome really. Needs alot more low end though, Talking about the rumble kinda stuff. So i'm gonna mess with it a few more days and then decide if i want to port it low 20's or what. I'm trying to get that HT sound i have in my house with my other tempest, The one that i'm referring too is 7cf ~21hz with 200rms on it and it goes really deep with authority. So i'm gonna see if i can get the sound close to that. And it does sound really good. But right now the sealed 4.5cf box sounds awesome, really accurate but the low end <30hz or so mabey <40hz seems to be lacking and Car gain isint working to my likeing so i'll take it into my own hands lol. It does seem to copy the WINISD graph in its sound and roll off. Sealed 4.5cf F3 is 37.2hz, ported 4.5cf @ 24 hz F3 is 26hz so i'll probobly tune somewhere near there. BTW the Car is pretty loud too and the subhardly moves at all. If you turn the volume up enough on really low stuff (which would mean the response isint flat enough down low) the stearing wheel flexes pretty good, prolly 1/2" or so lol.

BTW the car sounds awesome, Going to be working on my Pillar panels tommorrow hopefully, also whats the best way to cut out a circle on a plastic panel, i have a dremel with many different types of heads, but i have no center punch circle bits for my drill, i dunno what those bits are called.

·
Registered
530 Posts
yes , the ta portion of the menu you can decrease voltage to all channels individually ,close to no output at max -30 setting.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i tried that today, and noticed that the sub change -1 to -2 db down gets to the point where if i go any lower than that i won't even hear the sub. But i did get a chance to get alot dialed in today, tommorrow hopefully i can get my pilar panels cut symetrically and my mounting brackets put in as well. Wish me luck on this one, i only have one shot to get them both right.

Also what volume level do you normally use for best listening volume, i think i have my gains set too low, at 50 it seems pretty good liseting volume, louder and it exponentionally gets louder. but up to 50 its pretty consistant. So would i need to readjust my gains or should i do them the mathematical way....As i think there just too low. And i should be able to get this volume amount in the mid 30's or so, but i dunno for sure....

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Clipping is OK as long as you don't hear it, and you don't burn up your speaker. In fact it's essential if you want to maximize the power utilization of your amp.

Check the thread again... where you can see that sample plot. Very rarely will you ever see max rms voltage from your headunit. Imho the best way to set gains is by EAR.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i agree with npdang -tune using your ears -thats a tough q ,with outboard gain stages-coustic- etc,its nice to send as much voltage downstream as possible via hu,at the same time be aware comp procc. input voltage limitations,and tune frome there ,i cant compare it to my system,where my 4600 procc sends bal sig to my adcom 4404,the old 4600 proccessor allows around 2 volt input till clipping with the around 7-8 volts avail from the 8053 i keep the input stage low as possible to allow as much current before clipp.with the 4404 adcom it takes 8 volts to drive the amp to full pwr ,at ref vol 70-74 on my 8053 with most music is about max and sounds unclipped and clean,but will differ from every other system out there!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When i set my gains i'm putting it on like 55-60 which is 3/4 of the way up. I turn it up until i hear it start to distort or what i think is distortion, and then back it off a little. But when i turn it up on the volume knob, around 52 or so where i listen to it it sounds pretty loud but back it off to 45 and its really quiet, way too quiet actually. So thats why i wonder about my gain settings becaues i'd rather play it down at about 30 or so for midvolume where i would listen to it, but have alot of headroom without hearing distortion or something similar and high volumes.

Its my idea of what i'm facing when setting my gains because it bugs me that its having to be near 50 on the HU that it actually sounds good, with no gain hiss problems and such.

Anyone understand what i'm talking about?

Should i put my HU volume higher and tune from there or would that make any volage difference when it came to gain setting?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts