DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I developed and in the process of patent 1.2GHz switcher and it shows 96% efficiency.
So... Now you slap a cheap case on it, make a limited production run, send it out to some big names and slap a $2k price tag on it? :eek:;):D

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
Nope,slap decent case on it sell it on diyma for reasonable money and sell lisense to big names so they can charge you 2k.for those people to whom Victory Sonics is not good enough brand to buy.
Story of my life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Nope,slap decent case on it sell it on diyma for reasonable money and sell lisense to big names so they can charge you 2k.for those people to whom Victory Sonics is not good enough brand to buy.
Story of my life.

(I couldn't bring myself to post One Direction.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Guys !

SounDigital GaN amplifier uses a IR/Infineon solution, it is a cascode configuration (GaN + Mosfet) to make a perfect device. There's no information on the market about IR GaN, few companies received access to use this GaN.

The advantage on GaN is the fast swiching, low RDS on, low Qrr, etc. It means that we can run in a higher frequency, (1Mhz on SD GaN), then the output low pass filter is smaller and the class D can reach a higher top end. The dead time is lower, improving the distortion and also the Qrr is zero. The THD at 1Khz at a half of the power is 0,002% and the S/N ratio is better than 100dB, there's no attenuation at 20Khz. Impressive numbers for a class D amp. The sound is very natural and free of ground noise.

The cost for low production is high yet, it is a numbered 200 units of a limited series. All new technology starts expensive and fall the price in mass production, we hope to sell this product cheaper in the future.

We have developed the GaN just to show the SounDigital technology in produce the first GaN based car amplifier ever. New comertial products are in development and I hope you can listen a SounDigital amplifier to prove that we are working hard to do the best.

Thank You !

·
Wave Shepherd
2,410 Posts
Thank you for visiting this thread and giving us the opportunity to ask you questions about your product. I have three:

Can you explain what Qrr is and how a lower value is beneficial?

What is this "dead time" you refer to, and why is a smaller value better?

Also, I heard there is no gain knob on the amplifier you put into production. What was the reason for this? Do you plan to include a gain knob on future products?

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
Thank you for visiting this thread and giving us the opportunity to ask you questions about your product. I have three:

Also, I heard there is no gain knob on the amplifier you put into production. What was the reason for this? Do you plan to include a gain knob on future products?
Why would you need a gain knob if you can match sensitivity with dsp output just perfect?

·
Wave Shepherd
2,410 Posts
Why would you need a gain knob if you can match sensitivity with dsp output just perfect?

This reply keeps coming up whenever I ask this question and while it might work for a *very* tiny portion of the population who know exactly what they are doing, think about how many processes must change and how much new training is involved for the average person to do what you suggest.

1) Not everyone has a DSP or a source with an output voltage that can be limited from reaching some upper threshold. Even less people would know how properly to do what you're talking about. And no, simply not raising your volume past X amount does not count.

2) If you were to intentionally lower the output of your DSP or upstream device, you are also intentionally giving up the benefits of having a higher voltage line-level signal (increased resistance to induced noise). This is a step backwards technologically.

3) Your upstream gear is now hard limited because you must be able to meet the set input sensitivity of the amplifier. If your gear cannot output a signal with enough voltage to drive that amplifier to full power, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

4) Every piece of gear needs a way to adjust the gain structure with the gear it is connected to. The industry standard right now has the burden on the input section of the downstream gear called a "gain" knob. Why upset this standard so forcefully without reason?

5) By having no gain adjustment, you have now replaced a very straightforward procedure that can be done with a screwdriver in about a minute (turn up the gain knob until the clipping light turns on, then back it off a little bit) with a complex one that requires a DMM or oscilliscope and a laptop to interface with your DSP. The average consumer or installation shop doesn't have all of those tools, or doesn't know how to use them, or doesn't have enough time for such a thing.

If amplifiers without gain knobs were such a great idea, it would have caught on ages ago in multiple industries. That's not the case.

·
Wave Shepherd
2,410 Posts
I might be making a big deal about nothing. The specs on the website state input sensitivity is 0.5-6.0v. This conflicts with reports I've read that it has no adjustable input sensitivity. It would be nice to know one way or another. Or see a picture of the ends of the amplifier showing the controls available (or lack of).

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
I might be making a big deal about nothing. The specs on the website state input sensitivity is 0.5-6.0v. This conflicts with reports I've read that it has no adjustable input sensitivity. It would be nice to know one way or another. Or see a picture of the ends of the amplifier showing the controls available (or lack of).
I see... Hopefully SounDigital will uncover that mystery.
variable sensitivity must have some kind of adjustment, maybe automatic.
Many power amplifiers designed today has fixed sensitivity rating.
most car audio amplifiers has built in preamp stage.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I'm very interested to learn more about this product. Hopefully, someone will get their hands on one and do a nice review here.

I volunteer. A head to head with a PDX V9 and F4. Just need one. Ears have heard pure class A. Ears have heard better A/B. Hit me up Soundigital. :)

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
I volunteer. A head to head with a PDX V9 and F4. Just need one. Ears have heard pure class A. Ears have heard better A/B. Hit me up Soundigital. :)
That for sure qualified you as best tester.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts

Qrr is a intrinsic parameter of the mosfet, Qrr increase the THD distortion and the EMI of the amplifier. The Qrr in a GaN is zero, but we use a cascode configuration and the Qrr is a litle bit more the zero, but too smaller than a mosfet, around 20 times Lower than a equivalent mosfet. We reached a 0,002% THD at 50% power.

Dead time is the necessary time between a mosfet turn off and another turn on. DT increase the THD distortion also. GaN is too much faster than a mosfet and the DT can be smaller because the turn off time is faster.

The reason to eliminate the gain adjust is to eliminate one opamp on the circuit, also, the potentiometer is a antenna to noise. The target application to GaN is a very good system and any medium class CD player can set the gain. To increase more the S/N ratio we added two shielded filters between the regulated power supply and another innovations. The result of the so many thing is a very, very quiet amplifier. It's one of the most impressive parameter os the SD GaN.

Thank you !

·
Wave Shepherd
2,410 Posts
Thank you for answering my questions. I have two more.

On your website the input sensitivity is listed as 0.5 - 6.0 vPP
Does that mean your amplifier will produce full power with a 2v input signal?

Also, you claim that not including a gain adjustment will reduce the noise of the amplifier. Did you build and measure a design with a gain adjustment to compare to the design without one? What was the result of that test? I am really interested to see how much of an improvement is possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for answering my questions. I have two more.

On your website the input sensitivity is listed as 0.5 - 6.0 vPP
Does that mean your amplifier will produce full power with a 2v input signal?

Also, you claim that not including a gain adjustment will reduce the noise of the amplifier. Did you build and measure a design with a gain adjustment to compare to the design without one? What was the result of that test? I am really interested to see how much of an improvement is possible.
The information about 0,5 - 6Vpp is wrong, the correct input sensitivity is 1,5 RMS fixed.

Any opamp, even the more quiet produce some noise, you can find the input noise on datasheet, the parameter is shown in (nV√Hz). When you add a opamp to set the gain and make some filter you are adding noise, more opamps, more noise. Also, a trimpot or a switch are antennas to capture noise. We prefer a more pure sound instead some functions on this product and we reach what we want. The background noise is perfect.

Thank you !

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
The information about 0,5 - 6Vpp is wrong, the correct input sensitivity is 1,5 RMS fixed.

Any opamp, even the more quiet produce some noise, you can find the input noise on datasheet, the parameter is shown in (nV√Hz). When you add a opamp to set the gain and make some filter you are adding noise, more opamps, more noise. Also, a trimpot or a switch are antennas to capture noise. We prefer a more pure sound instead some functions on this product and we reach what we want. The background noise is perfect.

Thank you !
Here we go 1.5V just like biketronics (Hypex)and just about any pro-audio power amplifier on the market. perfect for typical line out of car audio HU (despite inflated ratings of 5 or 6V.)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Okay, I can say the amps are interesting.. I took a listen to Steve Cook's Avalanche. The amp is transparent, kinda weird to explain it but definitely something I'm looking more into..

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Okay, I can say the amps are interesting.. I took a listen to Steve Cook's Avalanche. The amp is transparent, kinda weird to explain it but definitely something I'm looking more into..

The amp was running midbass wasn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
701 Posts
He told me it was on his midrange.. He's running a Beyma midrange and I need to see how low it gts but, but, I'm intrigued now..

And no, I'm not saying this because I'm associated with Beyma or with the Importer of Soundigital Amps.. I'm saying this as my honest opinion, I'm already using Soundigital amps in my car and they sound good, but this amp takes it up a level..

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Well any and all newcomers with a quality product or new innovation to the US market I'm always a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 86 Posts