DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
18,658 Posts
i really need to ask... how does someone sit in a car, take a listen and think "yeah, these amps sound transparent"..?

Reactions: leepersc

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
i really need to ask... how does someone sit in a car, take a listen and think "yeah, these amps sound transparent"..?
Duh...

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Reactions: leepersc

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've heard his truck before with what he had and what he has now, so I have a mental picture of both. when I said I can't explain it, I meant it, so I used words that are common: transparent (probably because it has no onboard circuits to muddle the sound), I would say more dynamic..

Still can't explain it, I can only suggest that you take a listen and base your opinion off that and not follow mine.

BTW, that amp is not it and what replaced that is not like that either..

·
Registered
18,658 Posts
I've heard his truck before with what he had and what he has now, so I have a mental picture of both. when I said I can't explain it, I meant it, so I used words that are common: transparent (probably because it has no onboard circuits to muddle the sound), I would say more dynamic..

Still can't explain it, I can only suggest that you take a listen and base your opinion off that and not follow mine.
id love to listen to his car. if only his wasnt 1000 miles away :/

also, dont forget different speakers and different tunes. the guy swaps equipment like a mad man lol

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have the 800.4 from that line clear top w/ fans and then 2 - 400.4 from the evo line. I'm planning on having 2 of the gan amps for meca finals. Working in qualifying so i can redo my install.

Break down: 400.4 are bridged for the mids and tweeters (200w per speaker), 800.4 runs the 8" mid bass and 10" subs, both getting 200w a piece.

The evo line is no slouch either.. holding up pretty well.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Time to bring this back up, here are the manufacturer numbers during testing. They are still in the box, while I work thru my install.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'd never heard of them (unsurprising since I've been out of audio design for a couple years), but heard a pair of them in TSmith's Sequoia at the recent TN-KY 2016 get-together. But let me back up. I have never seen or heard any Soundigital products and had only known them as the plastic, single board amps.
When I peered into the back of Tim's truck, I saw a pair of Brax "whatevers" (sorry...didn't catch the model). I assumed they were a high biased Class A/B based on the heat they were dissipating at idle - and I assumed they were driving the front stage. I also assumed the Soundigital were on the subwoofer. But I was confused as this was a high end build and SD is not high end (IMO).

So I listened and thought - these are some great sounding amps. I'm of the opinion that amplifiers can sound different but only in non-quantifiable ways that can't necessarily be proven with test equipment. This is a broad departure of my thoughts from days past, but I digress...it's just a personal expression of opinion. :blush:

So when I got out to chat with Tim, he informs me that these ugly SD amps are running the front stage. You could have knocked me over with a feather! I wasn't about to backtrack because I know what I heard (and I know what I didn't hear which is the not-wonderful S/N ratio of most "car" Class D amps) - so of course I was interested. He tells me that he's amazed when opening one up - that there's "nothing" in there; no MosFETs, big filter caps or toroid. When I brought up a "guts" photo online, I mentioned to Tim that it probably doesn't need big capacitors or transformer or output inductors because it's probably running a 1MHz carrier. I also suspected that the MosFETs were soldered to the bottom of the PCB which, by, now, is confirmed based on the package types used.

Now, I think it's complete BS that they should sell for $1200. For that money, they shouldn't look like Walmart VR3 amp. They're not using the dev board, so I'm not sure what could be the reasoning except to set it apart from every other Class D amp out there.

BTW, it's still Class D - it's just a much improved MosFET they're using. There's only so much time in the world and I'm not going to be spending much time on researching this unless someone wants to build a competing product - then I'm your engineer. ;)

·
Registered
701 Posts
So did you like them? Sounded like you did, just not a fan of the look and feel? I think that part is getting addressed and 4 channel version is coming.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
So did you like them? Sounded like you did, just not a fan of the look and feel? I think that part is getting addressed and 4 channel version is coming.
Just the look. It was Tim that commented on that. I said I couldn't figure out what they were at first glance and when I looked again, I thought they could have used a better enclosure design.

Yes - maybe I wasn't clear. ;) I loved the sound. The noise floor (hiss, buzz, "sparkle" (something class D amps do because of their zero PSRR) was non-existent.

I want to build one to see what they're all about because the numbers from an engineering perspective are fascinating.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nope, you were clear about the sound and the look of amp. The look has bring brought up and I'm hoping that it's being address. As for me I kinda like it, visually it might not appeal to some, but the meat and potatoes of it, is really what it does that sold me..

BTW, I meant to talk to you at the GTG, sorry, I didn't ask for who was who while I was there.. I have some amps I need to talk to you about, some old school SS Ref amps that I want to move and need a little TLC first..

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Nope, you were clear about the sound and the look of amp. The look has bring brought up and I'm hoping that it's being address. As for me I kinda like it, visually it might not appeal to some, but the meat and potatoes of it, is really what it does that sold me..

BTW, I meant to talk to you at the GTG, sorry, I didn't ask for who was who while I was there.. I have some amps I need to talk to you about, some old school SS Ref amps that I want to move and need a little TLC first..
No problem. I was tired from the night before and wasn't as sociable as I usually am. I was trying to catch up and listen to a few vehicles but was completely unfamiliar with who was driving what - out of the loop and felt like I didn't have much to contribute.

I'm not really working on amps these days. It's basically by invitation. Send me a PM and I'll let you know what kind of timeline you'd be looking at.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So...
Are there any other amplifiers on the market now using GaN FET?
Are they suitable for use in class AB amplifiers too?

If not, why hasn't the market adopted these?
The efficiency gains seem fantastic for in-car use.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts