DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Nothing really new yet from what I have seen. Give it about two months, we may start seeing some new amplifiers using GaN FETs. No inside knowledge. This is based solely on the fact that CES 2018 is two months out. How much of anything shown off at CES actually makes it to market and when is a whole other conversation. ;)

·
jtaudioacc
1,952 Posts
Nothing really new yet from what I have seen. Give it about two months, we may start seeing some new amplifiers using GaN FETs. No inside knowledge. This is based solely on the fact that CES 2018 is two months out. How much of anything shown off at CES actually makes it to market and when is a whole other conversation. ;)
they had a pretty large booth at SEMA. it seemed only focused on loud.

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
they had a pretty large booth at SEMA. it seemed only focused on loud.
I was talking about GaN FET based amplifiers in general, but your statement about SounDigital doesn't surprise me in the least. :D

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I know of one other individual who’s been working on a GaN design but just in the stages of “it powered up but didn’t explode so that’s progress”.

Hopefully some more amp-builders will explore GaN. Not to slight SoundDigital at all though this may sound like it.. But if an SPL-oriented company can put together a strong two channel that was a hole-in-one as a big-power SQ amp, it says something for GaN as a platform. Big buying power by someone getting in and actually investing in GaN for production will be the determiner if GaN gets off the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sound Digital is working on a new version of the GAN based amplifier and it should be out soon. They are hoping in the next 30 days? Their chassis is being re designed. I hear there might be a 4 channel and 6 channel variation as well. They will be more affordable than the previous one.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I know of one other company that has a multi-channel design in the works. Assuming it isn't the same one Babs mentioned (I doubt it, but never know), then that makes 3.

I too heard SD was bringing theirs back, at a much reduced price as well.

·
Registered
18,651 Posts
I know of one other individual who’s been working on a GaN design but just in the stages of “it powered up but didn’t explode so that’s progress”.

Hopefully some more amp-builders will explore GaN. Not to slight SoundDigital at all though this may sound like it.. But if an SPL-oriented company can put together a strong two channel that was a hole-in-one as a big-power SQ amp, it says something for GaN as a platform. Big buying power by someone getting in and actually investing in GaN for production will be the determiner if GaN gets off the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike's has been up and playing. Just doesn't have a case

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
257 Posts
Found an interesting paper on GaN technology in D-class amplification

http://epc-co.com/epc/Portals/0/epc/documents/briefs/AB003 eGaN FETs for Class-D Audio.pdf

Did a check and DigiKey has GaN amp development modules but at $1300.00 per module its a little pricey

https://www.digikey.com/products/en? WT.z_cid=sp_917_0110_buynow&site=us&lang=en&mpart=EPC9106
Yeah I looked at those a while ago. Was very interested in getting one of the eval boards but just a bit too pricey. Also, looked into a couple of the other board kits that required building off of their design. Still pricey and quite involved.

Would love to hear from anybody who may have played with these or at least heard one.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah I looked at those a while ago. Was very interested in getting one of the eval boards but just a bit too pricey. Also, looked into a couple of the other board kits that required building off of their design. Still pricey and quite involved.

Would love to hear from anybody who may have played with these or at least heard one.
Major manufacturers are already using Class D GaN-FET in their amps in the commercial home audio market. You can listen to the new Pioneer Elite models at your local audio outlet like BestBuy.

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Major manufacturers are already using Class D GaN-FET in their amps in the commercial home audio market. You can listen to the new Pioneer Elite models at your local audio outlet like BestBuy.
Yeah I predict only if GaN takes off, it'll be 3-5 years for car amps to really become viable commercially as a hifi alternative. Simply due to cost.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Got disconnected for a while. About SD and their focus on Loud. SD is not just pushing to the US, they are international and they have different focuses in different countries. Last time I checked they have released a newer SPL amp, hopefully more folks will look at the other lines that they offer, not all are SPL specific.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Planning amplifiers for my new car which has some space constraints, and wondering what the arguably best sounding GaN FET amps currently are then?
They seem to fit a fantastic size/power envelope with good sound quality attributes.
Are the SD 300.2D's the pick?
I'll need enough channels for 3way + sub...

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Planning amplifiers for my new car which has some space constraints, and wondering what the arguably best sounding GaN FET amps currently are then?
They seem to fit a fantastic size/power envelope with good sound quality attributes.
Are the SD 300.2D's the pick?
I'll need enough channels for 3way + sub...
As far as I know Soundigital is the only company, so far, to bring a GaN FET based amplifier to the commercial car audio market. There are others under development from what I have read, but not available. I think even the SounDigital SD300.2D are pretty hard to come by.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Just wanted to resurrect this thread. JL Audio is debuting a new amplifier line this coming weekend at KnowledgeFest in Indy and I am wondering if they will be using a GaN FET based design? Manville Smith alluded to this new amplifier series debut in another thread here a few days ago but of course couldn't elaborate.
It may only be a DSP incorporated into the design or something less exciting but, I am very hopeful it will be the first mainstream iteration of GaN FET.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Bump.

Nothing new? :(

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #79

·
Registered
745 Posts
I emailed Soundigital today and got this response:

We are working on new model but no ETA atm.

We do still have the GAN 300.2 limited edition model available.

Best regards,
Diogo Ianaconi
CEO
HKI SounDigtal USA

I just wish there was a 4 channel variant. The tech sounds promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bnae38
61 - 80 of 86 Posts