DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I recently made a purchase on some Hybrid audio 6.5 Clarus and i'm trying to gather as much as info as far as sound deadener. I have 25 sq. ft. of 80mil deadener and i was looking into ensolite by RAAMaudio : Ensolite IUO Peel and Stick - RAAMaudio Inc. i plan to put this stuff on the inner and outter part of my front doors, will 1 order be enough? I do plan to make a baffle out of MDF to place the clarus onto the door panel. I plan to cover the holes and cracks that are on the door to seal it as much as i can, but i don't know what exactly to use. i was told to use silacone and expanding foam, but i don't know how to apply the expanding foam nor know where to get it. I havn't had a chance to pop off the door panels, but i do plan to buy some aluminum to cover the big holes that are normally found on doors.Is their anything that you guys would like to add? feedback would be great. thanks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone? I'm trying to find out if this stuff will do the job. I was thinking of purchasing the mlv that comes with 1/8 of closed cell foam for the inner door panel(closer to the seat) and a sheet of the 1/8 closed cell foam for the outter part of the door(behind magnet) which will be put on top of the 80mil deadener that i'll be using to stop rattle/vibration. feedback would be great, thanks

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Mass load the doors until it sounds like knocking on concrete from the outside, three layers of second skin damplifier pro did it for me, but I went a touch overkill. Do the same to the inner metal panel, or as much as you can while still getting the door panel on.

Aluminum flashing works great. Cut out two layers for each hole and glue them together, I used liquid nails bc it's what I had. Run a thick bead of silicone around the hole opening. Screw them to the door with self tapping screws and cover in deadener. Put at least ensolite in the doors, and a deflection pad behind the speaker. I have egg crate in mine, glued to the deadener, and it seems to do a better job. HOWEVER, it isn't warerproof, and can mold, etc.

Foam is great for stuffing along the back of the removable door panel. Add deadener to the large flat spots. Make sure you can still get the panel on. I started by putting a layer on my whome door, then strategically removing foam as needed until the panel fit again.

Airtight door is key for midbass response. Seal the holes well, seal the baffle against the door, and put a gasket between the speaker and the baffle. Bolt the baffle to the door.

I've had luck making a thick ring out of foam and gluing it around the outer edge of the speaker baffle, so that it seals against the door and helps minimize sound through the panel. Memory foam is good for this.

Read through build logs and do searches. Lot of information out there.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mass load the doors until it sounds like knocking on concrete from the outside, three layers of second skin damplifier pro did it for me, but I went a touch overkill. Do the same to the inner metal panel, or as much as you can while still getting the door panel on.

Aluminum flashing works great. Cut out two layers for each hole and glue them together, I used liquid nails bc it's what I had. Run a thick bead of silicone around the hole opening. Screw them to the door with self tapping screws and cover in deadener. Put at least ensolite in the doors, and a deflection pad behind the speaker. I have egg crate in mine, glued to the deadener, and it seems to do a better job. HOWEVER, it isn't warerproof, and can mold, etc.

Foam is great for stuffing along the back of the removable door panel. Add deadener to the large flat spots. Make sure you can still get the panel on. I started by putting a layer on my whome door, then strategically removing foam as needed until the panel fit again.

Airtight door is key for midbass response. Seal the holes well, seal the baffle against the door, and put a gasket between the speaker and the baffle. Bolt the baffle to the door.

I've had luck making a thick ring out of foam and gluing it around the outer edge of the speaker baffle, so that it seals against the door and helps minimize sound through the panel. Memory foam is good for this.

Read through build logs and do searches. Lot of information out there.

Thanks for the tips, i have done plenty of searching and it has gotten me confused a bit. I Read somewhere that if i use too much ensolite on the otter door panel that it's "bad" and will cause my mid drivers to not sound like they have as much as mid bass. i read that i'm only suppose to use a patch behind the mid driver and that is it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts