DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a forum search prior to posting and did not see any recent results relating to my question.

Due to a new job and significant commute, I have both fortunately and unfortunately found myself in a 2013 Prius, a downgrade from my truck with a system that I loved. I am currently gathering the last few things to put the system from my truck into the Prius.

My main concern is whether my equipment will work the 12v system on the Prius too hard. I know precious little about electricity and am a bit confused by the googling and reading I have done. Crutchfield threw up a warning when I bought the HU saying it doesn't recommend anything over 30amp draw.

Here is what I have so far.

Sony Xav-ax5500 (currently on sale on crutchfield)
Alpine RS65c.2 fronts (stock rears for now)
Dd audio d4.60 4 channel amp
Sundown ev3 12 sub
Alpine SA60m 600w mono sub amp
Dd audio dsi2 signal processor.

I had all of this equipment in the truck other than the head unit and really enjoyed the sound.

My other question is, is there a service that will draw up a schematic of how to wire all this up? I have a basic working knowledge of what amps require what guage wire, and I am more than capable of pulling the car apart to make a clean install, I am confused by remote turn ons, and a few other things. It would be nice to have a schematic to follow so I can just get in an knock it out.

The shop I went to quotes me well over double the install price from 3 years ago and if I can install it myself while I do some sound treatment, I would like to and then just pay to have it tuned.

All help is appreciated.

Greg

Super Moderator
Would one 5-Channel Amp draw less current/amperage than two Amps?

Registered
I have done a forum search prior to posting and did not see any recent results relating to my question.

Due to a new job and significant commute, I have both fortunately and unfortunately found myself in a 2013 Prius, a downgrade from my truck with a system that I loved. I am currently gathering the last few things to put the system from my truck into the Prius.

My main concern is whether my equipment will work the 12v system on the Prius too hard. I know precious little about electricity and am a bit confused by the googling and reading I have done. Crutchfield threw up a warning when I bought the HU saying it doesn't recommend anything over 30amp draw.

Here is what I have so far.

Sony Xav-ax5500 (currently on sale on crutchfield)
Alpine RS65c.2 fronts (stock rears for now)
Dd audio d4.60 4 channel amp
Sundown ev3 12 sub
Alpine SA60m 600w mono sub amp
Dd audio dsi2 signal processor.

I had all of this equipment in the truck other than the head unit and really enjoyed the sound.

My other question is, is there a service that will draw up a schematic of how to wire all this up? I have a basic working knowledge of what amps require what guage wire, and I am more than capable of pulling the car apart to make a clean install, I am confused by remote turn ons, and a few other things. It would be nice to have a schematic to follow so I can just get in an knock it out.

The shop I went to quotes me well over double the install price from 3 years ago and if I can install it myself while I do some sound treatment, I would like to and then just pay to have it tuned.

All help is appreciated.

Greg

Sounds like it'll be a nice system and I think you'll be fine with the power draw. I'd be surprised if the system exceeded 20 amps of current draw at any given time. From experience with a similar system (but not in a Prius) it will probably hover around 12-15 amps even when playing loudly.

Some head units have a setting in the menu to turn off the internal amplifier if you will only be using the RCA preouts, so check that and turn it off if possible (download the manual for the Sony).

The Remote Turn-On is fairly straight forward. You would set the "TURN-ON" switch on your DD DSI-2 processor to the "REM" setting (to the left).

Route the REM OUT turn-on lead from the Head Unit to the REM IN wire on the DD processor's harness. Then route the REM OUT from the processor's harness to both of your amplifiers. You can daisy-chain the remote turn-on wire from one amp to the other with no issues. You typically would use and don't need anything larger than a 16-ga Blue wire for Remote Turn-On purposes.

It's a new Prius, but you might check out @doitor build log here for ideas.

Check the build log above for system wiring examples and ideas.

For your relatively low power system, I would use a single 4 gauge OFC (+) power wire from the 12v battery to a small Fused Distribution Block that has at least 3 configurable outputs: One for each Amplifier and One for your DSP. Run the required Gauge of OFC (+) power wire to each amp and the DSP.

Use a small non-fused Distribution Block to Run the appropriate Gauge (-) Ground wires to each Amp and to the DSP, and a 4 gauge Ground wire from the Distro Block directly to the 12v battery if possible, or to a good Factory Ground Point.

Crutchfiled should supply the correct Wiring Harness with your Sony head unit purchase to allow you to tap into all of the OEM speaker wires, but you may need to run your own wiring if you running the Alpine components active from the DSP without the Alpine passive crossovers.

Registered
Hey I have a 2013 Prius! The reason they recommend less than a 30A draw, is because the Prius' 12v battery isn't charged by an alternator, it's fed via a 201V DC to 12v DC converter from the hybrid battery. So you are very limited by that DC to DC converter. The 12v battery in the Prius isn't even used to start the engine, only to power low voltage accessories in the car(relays, computers, hvac, etc.). So, the 12v system is designed to only handle what is already in the car. Adding power draws to the system taxes the converter substantially. Hence the 30A(ish) limit. Now, I did install a 1200 watt 5 channel amp, however, it's my wife's car and she only listens to podcasts and doesn't like a lot of bass, so I'm never worried about it drawing more than 30 amps. If you like to jam, I would use efficient class D amps(which it looks like you are), and clamp them with an amp meter to make sure you aren't drawing too much at max volume, but I doubt you'll get close to 30 amps. I'll say this, I max out my volume to jam, but it's never for more than a short passage in a song. Normally as I'm driving I have the volume at a "reasonable" level so I'm not worried about the 12v system.

As far as wiring up the sound system properly, bbfoto's recommendation to view build logs is a great idea, there's plenty of fantastic installers on this forum that can give you an idea of a general layout. If you have any specific questions about installing in the Prius let me know, I've had plenty of experience with mine :LOL:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like it'll be a nice system and I think you'll be fine with the power draw. I'd be surprised if the system exceeded 20 amps of current draw at any given time. From experience with a similar system (but not in a Prius) it will probably hover around 12-15 amps even when playing loudly.

Some head units have a setting in the menu to turn off the internal amplifier if you will only be using the RCA preouts, so check that and turn it off if possible (download the manual for the Sony).

The Remote Turn-On is fairly straight forward. You would set the "TURN-ON" switch on your DD DSI-2 processor to the "REM" setting (to the left).

Route the REM OUT turn-on lead from the Head Unit to the REM IN wire on the DD processor's harness. Then route the REM OUT from the processor's harness to both of your amplifiers. You can daisy-chain the remote turn-on wire from one amp to the other with no issues. You typically would use and don't need anything larger than a 16-ga Blue wire for Remote Turn-On purposes.

It's a new Prius, but you might check out @doitor build log here for ideas.

Check the build log above for system wiring examples and ideas.

For your relatively low power system, I would use a single 4 gauge OFC (+) power wire from the 12v battery to a small Fused Distribution Block that has at least 3 configurable outputs: One for each Amplifier and One for your DSP. Run the required Gauge of OFC (+) power wire to each amp and the DSP.

Use a small non-fused Distribution Block to Run the appropriate Gauge (-) Ground wires to each Amp and to the DSP, and a 4 gauge Ground wire from the Distro Block directly to the 12v battery if possible, or to a good Factory Ground Point.

Crutchfiled should supply the correct Wiring Harness with your Sony head unit purchase to allow you to tap into all of the OEM speaker wires, but you may need to run your own wiring if you running the Alpine components active from the DSP without the Alpine passive crossovers.
Fantastic, thank you for the in depth explanation. I have a very clear picture of what I will be needing to run now.

One more quick question for you. When the dealership removed the system from my truck they were less than careful. The pin connector that carries the remote turn on, power, and high level inputs for my dsi-2 is missing. What is that connector called so I can order a new one? I googled 16 pin connector but there seems to be many different types. A blank one is fine, I can just add the wires I need.

Thank you again friend.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey I have a 2013 Prius! The reason they recommend less than a 30A draw, is because the Prius' 12v battery isn't charged by an alternator, it's fed via a 201V DC to 12v DC converter from the hybrid battery. So you are very limited by that DC to DC converter. The 12v battery in the Prius isn't even used to start the engine, only to power low voltage accessories in the car(relays, computers, hvac, etc.). So, the 12v system is designed to only handle what is already in the car. Adding power draws to the system taxes the converter substantially. Hence the 30A(ish) limit. Now, I did install a 1200 watt 5 channel amp, however, it's my wife's car and she only listens to podcasts and doesn't like a lot of bass, so I'm never worried about it drawing more than 30 amps. If you like to jam, I would use efficient class D amps(which it looks like you are), and clamp them with an amp meter to make sure you aren't drawing too much at max volume, but I doubt you'll get close to 30 amps. I'll say this, I max out my volume to jam, but it's never for more than a short passage in a song. Normally as I'm driving I have the volume at a "reasonable" level so I'm not worried about the 12v system.

As far as wiring up the sound system properly, bbfoto's recommendation to view build logs is a great idea, there's plenty of fantastic installers on this forum that can give you an idea of a general layout. If you have any specific questions about installing in the Prius let me know, I've had plenty of experience with mine :LOL:
I do jam on occasion, but I never had to turn the volume all the way up in the truck. I'd say the loudest I could even stand was about 80% at the head unit with the bass knob cranked to max, and that was just when I was showing off or messing around. I wanna bump, but I am not going for volume, just quality.

Again, my knowledge is limited, but since there is not an alternator, would a larger or different 12v battery make a difference as far as not taxing the system? Or is the system limited by the inverter specifically? I would gladly pay another $100 for a larger battery and modify the small battery space in order to make sure I don't ruin the car. While I I don't love my Prius, it is a good commuter car and I don't wanna ruin it for some tunes.

Thank you very much for your time and info!

Registered
Hey I have a 2013 Prius! The reason they recommend less than a 30A draw, is because the Prius' 12v battery isn't charged by an alternator, it's fed via a 201V DC to 12v DC converter from the hybrid battery.
Uh Oh. I have a Corolla Hybrid. I have two amps, each with 80A fuse rating but I have 100A at the radio and 50A at each amp and they haven't blown. I haven't clamped the whole system to see what it draws, hopefully less than 30A on music I was only using the 5th sub channel on one amp, but in the spring I was going to add a second sub.
But this isn't good news. :)
I'll have to look into adding more batteries or more efficient amps.

Registered
I ran a zapco 350.2, 200.2, and 500.1 in my Prius C, it didn't have an issue at all, or at least none that i noticed. Not sure how much amps it was pulling when i was playing music through it, i did tend to play it pretty loud.

Registered
I do jam on occasion, but I never had to turn the volume all the way up in the truck. I'd say the loudest I could even stand was about 80% at the head unit with the bass knob cranked to max, and that was just when I was showing off or messing around. I wanna bump, but I am not going for volume, just quality.

Again, my knowledge is limited, but since there is not an alternator, would a larger or different 12v battery make a difference as far as not taxing the system? Or is the system limited by the inverter specifically? I would gladly pay another $100 for a larger battery and modify the small battery space in order to make sure I don't ruin the car. While I I don't love my Prius, it is a good commuter car and I don't wanna ruin it for some tunes.

Thank you very much for your time and info!
A bigger battery would help. The factory spot is tight though, you may have to do some modifications to fit certain sizes. Just make sure you replace it with an AGM, the 12v charging system on the gen 3 prius is meant to charge agm's if I remember correctly(found it somewhere in the manual).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts