DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Hey I have a 2013 Prius! The reason they recommend less than a 30A draw, is because the Prius' 12v battery isn't charged by an alternator, it's fed via a 201V DC to 12v DC converter from the hybrid battery. So you are very limited by that DC to DC converter. The 12v battery in the Prius isn't even used to start the engine, only to power low voltage accessories in the car(relays, computers, hvac, etc.). So, the 12v system is designed to only handle what is already in the car. Adding power draws to the system taxes the converter substantially. Hence the 30A(ish) limit. Now, I did install a 1200 watt 5 channel amp, however, it's my wife's car and she only listens to podcasts and doesn't like a lot of bass, so I'm never worried about it drawing more than 30 amps. If you like to jam, I would use efficient class D amps(which it looks like you are), and clamp them with an amp meter to make sure you aren't drawing too much at max volume, but I doubt you'll get close to 30 amps. I'll say this, I max out my volume to jam, but it's never for more than a short passage in a song. Normally as I'm driving I have the volume at a "reasonable" level so I'm not worried about the 12v system.

As far as wiring up the sound system properly, bbfoto's recommendation to view build logs is a great idea, there's plenty of fantastic installers on this forum that can give you an idea of a general layout. If you have any specific questions about installing in the Prius let me know, I've had plenty of experience with mine :LOL:

· Registered
129 Posts
I do jam on occasion, but I never had to turn the volume all the way up in the truck. I'd say the loudest I could even stand was about 80% at the head unit with the bass knob cranked to max, and that was just when I was showing off or messing around. I wanna bump, but I am not going for volume, just quality.

Again, my knowledge is limited, but since there is not an alternator, would a larger or different 12v battery make a difference as far as not taxing the system? Or is the system limited by the inverter specifically? I would gladly pay another $100 for a larger battery and modify the small battery space in order to make sure I don't ruin the car. While I I don't love my Prius, it is a good commuter car and I don't wanna ruin it for some tunes.

Thank you very much for your time and info!
A bigger battery would help. The factory spot is tight though, you may have to do some modifications to fit certain sizes. Just make sure you replace it with an AGM, the 12v charging system on the gen 3 prius is meant to charge agm's if I remember correctly(found it somewhere in the manual).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts