DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello dear Music-Lovers and HiFi-Enthusiasts,

my name is Bari, i am 26yr old and came from Greece, but live in Germany.
I have a Mercedes SLK 230 first series, in which i have my audio-system installed. My current setup is:

Pioneer P88-RSII Headunit
DLS Scandinavia 6/2 Midrange in the door
Micro Precision 7.28 MKIII M2M Tweeter
Exact WCA 263 Sub
Steg K4.02 for Mid- and Highrange
Steg K2.03 for Sub
Optima YT 3,7 and 2,7
Singer Alternators >160A Alternator (which i love)
Stinger, Audison cables

Some pictures if it helps: Picasa Web Albums - G. B. - SLK 230 on ICE

At next saison (car is sleeping on winter) i will update to a 3-way active system with the P99 Headunit and the L3SE Midrange next to the tweeters (i hope they will fit their in A-pillar!). Now the question is which amplifier should i use for the Hybrids!
I have a Genesis Four Channel (think its a good SQ-Amp) with typical about 4x90W, so i will connect the Tweeters on this Amp. Should i connect the Hybrids too on the Genesis? Or is she too weak to drive the L3SE?! The range probably would be 300-5000Hz/12db, and yes i like it loud (its a convertible) :)

The other option is to connect the Hybrids to the Steg K2.04 with about 120W per channel, but then Midranges and Tweeters would be on different (type) amplifiers. I am afraid that the Genesis wouldnt have enough power to drive the L3SE without distortion, cause in my search i always found suggestions about 120-150W. Sure it is always better to have power reserves (similar to alternator or cars engine) and if you suggest to get another 2-channel (probably Steg K2.02 will fit in the little room left in the trunk) for the L3SE with >120W i will not install the Genesis (its a little sad cause i bought her but never installed.

Whats your suggestion or experience with the drivers?! I have also read that sometimes the membrane does dissolve from the rubber, is this still actual?!

Thank you so much for your help and best regards from Munich
Bari

P.S.: Excuse me for my bad english please!
P.P.S: Unfortunately the L6SE doenst fit on my doors thats why i going with DLS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
.. no one a suggestion or opinion?! :-D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Bari,
As genesis enthusiast this is my recommendation. I have heard also steg serie k, and I like the sound more "English", I have four amlificadores genesis series III.

I had a four channel with half cdt tweeter ES03 and drt26 and was an authentic beauty.

The genesis amps are warm, detailed and very dynamic, forget the rms, tweeter/mid not need rms and control like a woofer / sub.

The four channel will give you a "humanity" in voices that are not found in the steg serie K, shall have power to spare with genesis amplifier.

Greetings from Spain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello oscardillo,

first of all thank you for your evaluation! You have a nice build :thumbsup:

Well i will be carefully to post a rating who a amplifiers sounds. Theoretically if they are both configured (gain/level setting etc.) the same and you listen to the same volume without distortion i cant probably tell you a difference between Amp A or Amp B, otherwise it would be a pro-active Equalizer.

Sure for the tweeters i dont have any apprehension that they power wouldnt be enough. There is probably no (usually) tweeter that can handle electrical so much power. But i dont know that for the L3SE midrange (it has also a "bad" efficiency). The reference-build on my local dealer has the L3SE paired with the Audison AV quattro. :eek:

Off-Topic: Do you perhaps know if the Genesis has a regulated power supply like the Steg?!

Thank you and greetings from Germany

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh no i dont mean that i have a problem in that field! I have a High Output Alternator which provides much more Power than Boardelectric + Music at max. Volume + Battery Charge need. Voltage depends only from Temperature (cold charge / warm Alternator) and is always >14,4V.

But i was thinking that with Engine / Alt off the Steg is still providing the usually Power but the Genesis would be providing less than usually - so i will have different volumes on the speakers.. (Just a thought..)!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thank you!
Usually i dont listen music without engine turned on, but for measuring / configuring you need it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Nice setup man! Do you like the Exact! sub? I run all exact! except the sub :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Woosey!

The Exact was the best decision in my case (passengers footwell) cause he plays better then any other sub in the 16L Volume closed and he has no pole piece so thats good for the Insertion depth of the case. Also he has a long excursion and makes good volume, even if the roof is open..

Mazda MX-5 has nice room in the door for Midranges :thumbsup:
How are your EN50 playing?! What crossover-points you have?! They are really nice and small!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thank you Woosey!

The Exact was the best decision in my case (passengers footwell) cause he plays better then any other sub in the 16L Volume closed and he has no vented pole piece so thats good for the Insertion depth of the case. Also he has a long excursion and makes good volume, even if the roof is open..

Mazda MX-5 has nice room in the door for Midranges :thumbsup:
How are your EN50 playing?! What crossover-points you have?! They are really nice and small!
Yup, 8" fits without a problem, still looking to upgrade to some 8" instead of the 18cm's... Like the en50's a lot, very impressive for a 2" full range driver... I normally run them from 400 to 3.15k ( open end at the moment ) Yesterday I took out my old tweeters ( HX20T4 with alu cups) and got myself some HX22TG's ( with alu cups ) This weekend I will be mounting them and then some new tuning to get it all how it should be :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for correction - Google translator isnt omniscient :-D
I would definitely upgrade to 8" if i could, on a well insulated door.

Thanks for the Info about the EN50. I hope that the L3SE would fit, but if it doenst i need Plan B. Maybe Hertz ML 700 or EN65 etc.

·
Registered
632 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks good!
I want so much room too :p

Exact chassis are tuned Peerless.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Looks good!
I want so much room too :p

Exact chassis are tuned Peerless.
Fullranges yes, midbasses and new tweeter are tweaked wavecor..

I know Mr. Möller from exact and he's pretty wise when it comes to fine details in speaker fabrication. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agree with that ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts