DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lexus GS 1998.

Aftermarket Media Center: Sony XAV5000
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got an Alpine Type R Subwoofer professionally installed.

1. Now I can replace all 4 door speakers with the midrange Alpine option, the R series...

OR

2. For a little more money, I can install the flagship Alpine Series X in the front door speakers and leave the rear door speakers unplugged...

PROS: I figure this will have significantly higher audio quality than the above option since the front door speakers have space for a component install, while the rear speakers have to be coaxial. Also, having only 2 speakers I imagine would significantly reduce unnecessary off axis noise coming from behind, unideal coaxial tweeter positoning, and I figure this would improve imagining and frequency response, with the added bonus of just having more linear frequency response from being flagship.

CONS: My only concern is that, even though I don't listen excessively loud, that the Sony will not be able to drive 2 Alpine Series X speakers loud enough.

Am I a genius? Or am I dumb? What do you think I should do?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Maybe stick with type r fronts, OEM or cheapo's for the rear and use the money saved for an amp for they type r fronts and some deadening (if the Lexus needs it?)

·
Registered
505 Posts
This is my go to for all my own cars... I've never been a fan of rear fill and it's much nicer to focus all your money and attention on the front stage.

It will be plenty loud, and if you determine that it isn't, you only need to buy a 2 channel amp to power your fronts.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Rear fill with the right processor = good. Rear fill with the wrong or no processor = meh. It's simply a matter of choice..... there's no right or wrong as long as it's done right.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
84 Posts
If your not gonna run an amp I would say get the type r’s comps front and coax in back. You’re never gonna see the full potential on the x type with 20 or so watts from that Sony headunit.

If you do plan on an amp get the better set of front comps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In my opinion, I'd ditch the alpines all together and go focal. Even the ps flax line is much better.
Look at the focal ps165f3. They are 3 ways and sound amazing. Even better active. If you have the cash go focal es165kx3. Those are the best unless you go focal Utopia m

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Most (or at least a lot) of us ditch the rears altogether. Not to piss on your parade, because it's cool that you came to this conclusion on your own, but it's pretty standard in a sound quality build to eliminate rear speakers. Some will use a very highly processed type of rear fill, but I personally don't even recommend that, especially when you factor in the cost of the extra speakers, wiring, and a processor capable of doing it correctly.

Always focus your budget, and efforts on the front stage.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I was talking about the front stage
And @gijoe was talking to the OP about his "genius budget idea" that 95% or so of the users on here are well aware of.

Look at the focal ps165f3. They are 3 ways and sound amazing. Even better active. If you have the cash go focal es165kx3.
While I have no idea what the OP's idea of "budget" is, I am not sure that a $999 or $2,299 set of speakers fit what many of us think of when we hear the word "budget". Both those sets of Focal speakers would be completely wasted for the OP running them off the Sony head unit as well. Complete waste of money IMO to buy speakers in that sort of price bracket and not run them off an amp.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Chill Loud Residence. Let’s just stay with the original question. I don’t think the OP is gonna go 3 way, active or even have an amp. We have plenty of info on this site.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll chill carbon but im just trying to help. But if you're not going to even get an amp why not just stay with the stock stereo. If I knew the budget I can put together a good system

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wut? $100 bucks will get you PLENTY if do your own labor and buy your own parts used refurb or clearance.

As a side note? Do you KNOW what they do for a CHEESEBURGER in OTHER COUNTRIES? $100 Bucks can go a LONG way. And a Trip to Goodwill, garage sales or Craigslist can get some GREAT speakers. (albeit 8 Ohm) . Heck there is guy selling 2 HEXacone Diamond Audio Drivers that go TOE TO TOE with the best out there. FOR a HUNDY!

Anything is Possible if you put your mind to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts